Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What pedals?
  • Cougar

At the weekend I dug out what might generously be called my “hybrid,” it’s a Decathlon BSO MTB with semi-slicks stuck on it. From memory I think it’s a Rockrider 5.2 – it was basically the cheapest one they had that had components which weren’t made out of cheese.

It’s pretty much stock aside from the tyres, and it came with stupid old-fashioned toe-clip pedals which absolutely do my fruit in. I’ve never bothered to change them as it gets minimal use, but I intend to use it a bit more in future so they’ve got to go.

Before I run out and buy a pair of trusted DMR V8s, has anyone got any better suggestions for flats? Usage is road and light trail (eg, towpath) use. I don’t really want to spend a vast amount of money, I see little point in putting £100 pedals on a £250 bike. I suppose reflectors would be nice to have as they’re going on the road.

Cheers.

onewheelgood

Halfords finest

actually they are pretty good.

tomhoward

Take the toe clips off, use the plastic ones till they die, then some cheap resin ones (dmr v6?)

Or the cheapest shimano spds you can find

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ask your LBS what pedals they have in the bits box….

richmtb

a set of the carboncycles.cc thermoplastic. Cheap and grippy.

Same pedal as Nukeproof and Superstar but a few quid cheaper

Cougar

Take the toe clips off

That was my first thought but the pedals are asymmetrical, the underside isn’t ideal for pedalling on.

Or the cheapest shimano spds you can find

I want flats really, I don’t own anything with cleats.

jekkyl

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=127&p=1770

edit; as per richs suggestion. plastic pedals, metal pins.. they’re good and light and cheap.

dragon
    Free Member

How about Wellgo V8 copies at a tenner on CRC? Bearings might need adjustment and they aren’t the best sealed, but for occasional use they’ll be absolutely fine.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wellgo-v8-copy-flat-pedals/rp-prod563

dogmatix

DMR V6 with refletors £15.99 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-v6-flat-pedal/rp-prod132636

I bought a pair for my wifes bike, they work great. Light and well engineered.

Cougar

DMR V6 with refletors £15.99

Ooh, I think we might have a winner, they look perfect. Thank you.

Are CRC safe / reliable to buy from these days?

dogmatix

Last time I used them a couple of months ago they were fine? I’m sure you could get them somewhere else too if you were worried?

Cougar

I know they’ve had wobbles in the past, and the Wiggle discussion in the chat forum concerned me. I was wondering whether Wiggle’s issues were also CRC’s issues, really.

Cougar

Update! (You were all really excited, weren’t you…)

DMR V6s bought from Tredz (initially went to CRC but their stupid website wouldn’t let me enter separate delivery and billing addresses), arrived today, and now fitted.

Question though, the bearings are quite stiff. I mean, they turn freely, but they don’t ‘spin’ and one is noticeably stiffer than the other. Is that normal, do they just need to bed in or am I supposed to do something with them to tweak them? (For reference, the V8s on my Proper Bike spin freely on the axles.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What pedals?’ is closed to new replies.