Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What part of "can I have my MAC code" do you not understand….
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Not a record I know but Sky finally got the message on the fifth time of saying.
    I wasn’t being unpleasant or rude until that point, but had to raiise my voice
    a tad to finally get through to them. Time for a cuppa and sit down.

pedlad

Having the same issue getting mine from the work sourced ZEN ISP at the moment.

Greybeard
    Free Member

<pedant>
    The part of “MAC Code” I don’t understand is “Code”.
    What is a Migration Authorisation Code Code?
    </pedant>
    But sorry to hear that; I hope I have better luck when the time comes to swap.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had a hell of a time getting mine from an irate geordie call centre lass (ironically, yes it was orange!). She was mental, and seemed genuinely insulted that I dare to leave. Told me I was a fool.

What made her worse was my laughing….

Alphabet

Why do you need a MAC to change ISPs? Don’t you just give your notice to the old one and sign up with the new? Or is this to minimise downtime?

plop_pants
    Free Member

I think it all depends on the technical set up at the exchange and the ability of the provider to connect to your home. I think.

This does not make it any easier to understand.

jam-bo

Having the same issue getting mine from the work sourced ZEN ISP at the moment.

I tried to get a mac code from zen once, they dropped my price by about 30% so I stayed.

Cougar

What is a Migration Authorisation Code Code?

RAS Syndrome.

OFCOM mandate that an ISP must provide a MAC within five days of your requesting it, and without charge.

Why do you need a MAC to change ISPs?

To stop dodgy ISPs going to your current provider and going “oh, he’s just signed up with us,” for a start.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Please excuse my pleonasm.

Cougar

Here.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/ga/cvogc18032010.pdf

GC22, page 68,

1.5 The Communications Provider shall communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing by letter and/or by e-mail within five working days of receipt of the End-User’s request save for A1.6.

A1.6 Where the Communications Provider has issued the MAC to the End-User over the telephone (including details about the MAC validity period and expiry date and the Broadband Service to which the MAC relates), the Communications Provider is not required to communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing.

A1.7 The written response (e-mail or letter) to the End-User containing the MAC shall clearly indicate:
    (a) the MAC (or MACs);
    (b) the MAC validity period and expiry date; and
    (c) the Broadband Service(s) to which the MAC(s) applies.

bigyinn
    Free Member

It can be a pain getting mac’s, but mention of ofcom usually sorts them out.
    One thing to remember that although they can’t charge you for your Mac, they can charge you if you are still in contract or haven’t provided them with appropriate notice to quit. So make sure you’re not in contract.

Cougar

Outside of contract periods, I’m damned if I can see how they can justify notice periods either. It’s not like they need warning so they can find another customer to take your line.

You never get companies requiring notice before you can start giving them money, odd that hey?

giant_scum
    Free Member

I can see I am going to have fun with this soon, I’m starting a job with BT in February and part of the package is free fibre broadband! So I’ll need my MAC from EE only 3 months into my new contract as well, should be fun.

tinribz
    Free Member

Sky ‘accidentally’ gave me the wrong MAC twice, not quick or cheap to have to ring back either unsurprisingly.

When I cancelled the TV it was fortnightly phone calls and offers. 3 months later it was free TV no contract, I caved 😥 stay strong.

Cougar

part of the package is free fibre broadband! So I’ll need my MAC from EE

No you won’t. You only need it going from one regular phone line DSL service to another. You won’t be migrating, you’ll be cancelling.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Assuming EE have supplied him with an LLU line and DSL, not just DSL…..

bails

Don’t you just give your notice to the old one and sign up with the new?

I didn’t even do the first half of that. Signed up with plusnet, three days later I got the “sorry you’re leaving” letter from Sky.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What part of "can I have my MAC code" do you not understand….’ is closed to new replies.