Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What pannier?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My Super C's are a bit the worse for wear after 14 years of commuting (7 each)

Is there something as durable & voluminous but comfortably shoulder-able that I could get singly for use commuting? I've just got a cheap "Bsil" one from CRC but it doesn't look too durable.

druidh
    Free Member

Ortleib office pannier would suit you sir.

ransos
    Free Member

I use Ortliebs. Tough as old boots.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Albanach
    Free Member

Altura Orkney here and so far so good.

ourmaninthenorth

I use Ortlieb back rollers (well, one of a pair). As pointed out, super tough, and easy to shoulder (come with a strap).

Also worth looking at if you're interested in Britishness, are Carradice's various offerings: http://carradice.co.uk/panniers/index.html

EDIT: I've just realised you mentioed Super Cs…. Have a look at the CarraDry – a mate has them and, had I not just bought my Ortliebs, I would have had a pair of those. Big, waterproof, robust and nicely Lancastrian.

cynic-al
    Free Member

thanks chaps. So far this bad-boy is looking like a winner.

http://carradice.co.uk/panniers/shopper-pannier.shtml

cynic-al
    Free Member

Or maybe this. Do you have these druidh?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_Bike_Shopper_Pannier/5360007516/

I see that you do. Think Carradice may have seduced me with cotton-duck Englishness tho.

theflatboy
    Free Member

you can get a single ortlieb back roller classic for less than that, they're the best.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not best for someone who wants a shoulder strap tho.

ourmaninthenorth

Not best for someone who wants a shoulder strap tho.

Er, assuming the single back roller classics aren't any different from the pairs, then they do have a shoulder strap:

It's the black strap you see going from top left, to centre bottom to top right. The centre bottom fixing is just a hook, so you flip it off there and then have the strap to carry the bag.

cynic-al
    Free Member

But that strap is attached to the closure seal…if you use it as a shoulder strap will it not:

1. unroll the closure
    2. be a right PITA, especially when opening/closing on the shoulder?

ourmaninthenorth

OK:

1. The pic isn't super clear (it might be easier if I photo the pannier I have by my side), but you see the strap in the middle at the top of the bag? Once you have rolled up the top, that then tightens across the lid (clipping just out of view on the pic), so you can use the should strap without it opening.

2. This is a limitation of the design – in essence it's open or closed. I suspect that it really depends on how you use the bag. For me it's a sealed bag or it's open and I'm rummaging through. What it doesn't permit one to do is have the same ease of access as a regular clipped lid would. But, that's the price to pay for 100% waterproof-ness.

Let me know if you want pics and I'll incur weird glances in the office and post up..!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers law buddy but no need fo rpics.

I may have a look at them…but I am a big fanny of Carradice and I like to be able to open/close the bag while carrying it. I also don't really need 100% waterproofness.

ourmaninthenorth

No worries.

I reckon more Carradice would be a great choice. And you get to buy British.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

Going to rock the boat and say Arkel.

I've had Ortleib in the past and they are ok but a trip to NZ soon convinced me (and around 15 others) whilst cycling round for 6 months that if you can afford it they are worth it over Ortleib.

They offer you the ability to have 'dry' and 'wet' sections in one pannier. The problem with ortlieb is that you have no ability to seperate out a wet rainjacket from other dry clothes or things like electrical goods.

Great features and customer service thats second to none.

druidh
    Free Member

ikimbunza – Member

They offer you the ability to have 'dry' and 'wet' sections in one pannier. The problem with ortlieb is that you have no ability to seperate out a wet rainjacket from other dry clothes or things like electrical goods.

Altura Drylines let you do this.

AdamM
    Free Member

Downside with Arkel is they aren't waterproof to begin with so stuff can be more likely to get wet. Or at least that was my experience with my Arkel laptop pannier when I commuted with one. Beautifully made though, and it did the job for me. If anyone wants to make an offer I'll sell it. It's this one:

cynic-al
    Free Member

So does a stout plastic shopping bag or two 🙄

Anyway I've been offered a s/h vaude so I'll try that.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What pannier?’ is closed to new replies.