Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What pads for Avid Elixir??
  • simplesimoncardiff
    Free Member

I've had shocking results with unbelivably fast pad wear even from sintered pads on my Elixirs – went through one set within a lap of Cwmcarn last week.

Any recommendations please….

nedrapier

Just been looking for the same. EBC gold? Went for Jagwire in the end, because some people on the internet said they were quieter, and at least as good as standard.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you you should have bedded them in properly, though.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

In all honestly, Superstars are good.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Cwmcarn ONE lap!

What did you do ride around with them full on whilst sandblasting them.

I have brand new bike with elixirs on and have done cwmcarn a few times recently (even in the superwet) and the pads are still like new… In fact the pads on last years bike lasted 8 months of solid use (3-4 times a week).

Superstars are great value…. Not sure how long they will last though.

jonb
    Free Member

Mine went in 3 hours at Kielder. I use discobrakes pads now and they seem better although I've not been back to Kielder recently.

simplesimoncardiff
    Free Member

8 months!!!!

Cwmcarn is quite gritty but i was stunned when i had no braking left for the final descent.

Brand new bike too but it was a slow ride in the dark.

How do you bed them in then?

doh
    Free Member

i think it involves some kind of snake oil.

fbk
    Free Member

Well I've got to say, my elixir pads are only just looking like they need changing and that's after just over 8 months of 7 stanes, welsh trail centres, more "natural" riding, the avalanche trophy (keilder) and various other fairly full on rides 🙂

I've been really impressed with the wear-much better than the formula oros on my HT.

Just my two penneth 🙂

robarnold
    Free Member

Go out on to the road (or somewhere equally clean & dry) and ride up and down like an idiot for ten minutes, banging on your brakes hard until they start to have a bit of 'feel' rather than the dead sensation of a new pair. The idea is that you are generating a bit of heat through them to harden (but not glaze) the braking surface. Another tip i've heard is to take a water bottle out and give them a dowsing down to cool them quicker after you've got some heat in them.

If you go out anywhere mucky without bedding them in, they'll crumble like Stilton in minutes.

Ooh, Stilton, now there's a thought…… 😀

simplesimoncardiff
    Free Member

Go out on to the road (or somewhere equally clean & dry) and ride up and down like an idiot for ten minutes, banging on your brakes hard until they start to have a bit of 'feel' rather than the dead sensation of a new pair. The idea is that you are generating a bit of heat through them to harden (but not glaze) the braking surface. Another tip i've heard is to take a water bottle out and give them a dowsing down to cool them quicker after you've got some heat in them.

I shall try this thanks for your help!!

TooTall
    Free Member

Find the biggest road hill near you. Something that lasts as long as possible. Get some speed up and start dragging your brakes. You want to get them hot. That'll cook 'em.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What pads for Avid Elixir??’ is closed to new replies.