Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what packable warm top to carry
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Hi,
    The last few rides I have been out on have been long enough to warrant a lunch stop, once at a pub where we were too dirty to go in so sat outside and the last 3 have been trailside lunch stops.

In this weather I ride with a long sleeved wicking base layer and a paramo fuera full zip jacket, I am comfortable throughout the ride and if it rains it is fairly repellant. The only downside to this setup is that when I stop riding I get cold very quickly – testimony to the wicking properties of the 2 layers which is great when riding.

I am looking for a packable warm layer that I can throw on when I stop for lunch or have a puncture / trailside repair to stop me becoming uncomfortably cold.

What do you use / what could you recommend?
    Thanks
    Col

cynic-al
    Free Member

wicking shouldn’t make you cold!

Any primaloft jacket like a MOntane Prism

grahamt1980

agreed with the above, I have got a patagonia primaloft. Packs down really small and is plenty warm enough

matt_outandabout

^wot al says. I have cozy warm Patagonia jacket. Don’t discount good fleece either under the Fuera.

druidh
    Free Member

Primaloft – Tick
    Montane Prism – Tick (other brands are available, The Prism has some reflective flashes on it which I like)

Locoboy
    Free Member

The way I understand it is

Exercising hard so filling your breathable layers with moisture, then stopping exercising and bimbling about will result in the moisture wicking out from your breathable layers leaving you cold because its evaporating………that’s how it works…isn’t it? Or am i missing something??

That Montane Prism jacket looks like it would do the job as a warm throw on over layer. Does the Prism pack down nice and small?
    Col

RRD
    Free Member

Primaloft

Works when damp/wet and unlike other options it packs down very well too.

I have a Rab Generator(?) Smock – absolutely brilliant

druidh
    Free Member

Yep. It folds into its own pocket and you could just about squeeze one into the back pocket of a jersey. I often carry mine in a saddle bag.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I would go for a Rab Generator jacket, still packs down small and better value than the Prism when looking at the amount of primaloft insulation

johnnystorm

If you can live with Down and want a bargain have a look at the Karrimor Down gilets & jackets at Field & Trek. Pack away to nothing and are £18/25. Not the greatest down items but certainly better than the price suggests.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Depending on budget, the Rab Xenon is lighter than the Generator, despite having a hood, and packs into its own pocket. Spendy though: £150. (£109 here if you’re looking for a small.)

stevemorg2

What about a Paramo Torres vest to throw on over the Fuera or if you can put up with a little bulk a Torres smock? I’ve got both and they work well – good level of insulation and unaffected by the wet

donal
    Free Member

As most people said, any primoloft type jacket. I would stay away from down as cycling bags tend to get pretty wet and damp. I have a Patagonia Micropuff pullover and a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy. Both are great. The patagonia is a slight bit warmer while the ME has a good hood which fits over a helmet (climbing and cycling) well. The Rab photon jacket is also really great and is on sale in a few places at the moment for just over £100.

As someone else mentioned, a nice fleece could also do the job.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I run pretty hot and wear just a base layer and pertex type top for all but seriously cold weather. Synthetic base layers left me cold when I stopped. Merino left me slightly damper, but a lot warmer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what packable warm top to carry’ is closed to new replies.