Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What over-the-counter painkillers for bruised/cracked ribs?
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Still nursing an injury from an ‘off’ last Thursday.

Not much in the way of noticeable healing going on… just sneezed and nearly went through the roof! Am in a world of pain, here.

What over-the-counter painkillers for bruised/cracked ribs?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Get yourself to the GP who will furnish you with the good gear. Failing that a dihydrocodeine and ibuprofen combo is what I always use for burst ribs.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Not much in the way of noticeable healing going on…

…and nor will there be for a while. You’re probably roughly at the peak of the pain now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    freddyg
    Free Member

Co-codamol and Ibuprofen – As above though, go to your GP who’ll give you the good stuff.

poonprice
    Free Member

Also nursing an injury, bruised/cracked rib and snapped collar bone, Co-codamol and Ibuprofen is working ok. Taking them staggered so always got some new stuff going in.

nbt

tonyplym
    Free Member

These are pretty good, and available over the counter.

I_Ache
    Free Member

2x400mg of ibuprofen as and when is helping me cope with my ribs that I broke a week ago. The pills are helping enough that I can do gentle rides.

pingu66
    Free Member

I did my ribs last year and after a week popping over the counter pain killers like smarties went to my GP for some of the good stuff.

MrOvershoot

Don’t listen to the MTFU brigade take pain killers, if you hurt every time you breath then you will end up taking shallow breaths and leave yourself open to chest infections.
    Also try to sleep on the bruised side as once the initial pain has gone you will sleep better trust me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hmmm I’m going to try sleeping on the bad side tonight and if I wake up in agony I will be coming for you MrOvershoot!

When I did mine last year (yes that’s twice in 6 months now) the docs told me to make sure I breathed deeply often. Deep enough for a lot of pain, so the ribs heal in the correct place.

Northwind

I was prescribed diclofenac, the one time I bothered going to the doctor… Good stuff, like better ibuprofen. The prescription dose was way higher than the recommended dose on the Boots packet incidentally.

Ibuprofen’s the best of what I think of as the “normal” painkillers.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Cocodomol on prescription, the big dry ones.

Failing that attempt, codeine. The big ones that the pharmacist has to reel of many, many arbitrary questions before you take them home and ignore everything they said before melting into the sofa in a fuzz of “there’s the pain sort of there somewhere”.

Don’t drive, don’t operate pallet trucks, ladders, social interaction.

Edit- Ketamine.Other solutions are available.

genghispod
    Free Member

Sleeping on the bad side helps. After going through this 7 times, I can tell you this. It helps to immobilise the affected area which is especially beneficial once the bone starts to knit together. Seems to take about 4 – 6 weeks for noticeable healing to start, so don’t be impatient. Also may take several months before you don’t feel any residual pain/ discomfort.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Avoid diclofenc. It inhibits bone knitting. That is from Mr Rob Farnell, consultant hand and wrist surgeon who has rebuilt both my wrists.

I go for the over the counter paracetamol (500g) and codeine (8g) from boots. Seen me through knee surgery, broken heel bone, two cracked ribs and 6 operations on my arms.

Pook

Cocodamol and ibuprofen. I’m nursing two cracked ribs. Have been since easter

Northwind

mattbibbings – Member

Avoid diclofenc. It inhibits bone knitting. That is from Mr Rob Farnell, consultant hand and wrist surgeon who has rebuilt both my wrists.

There’s some evidence that ibuprofen and diclofenac can delay or even permanently impair bone healing apparently, but no established link. I’m high-risk because of my osteoperosis so it was referred onto the consultant who did my hip fix and he basically said “Nobody knows, but reducing the pain definitely has a positive effect on bone healing, so best go with that.”

righog
    Free Member

Iburoprofen for me work a treat for reducing the pain. However my current damage is not hurting so much to warrant taking it, I just wish there was something to stop the bone or tissue clicking all the time it is very disconcerting 😥 ( tried gaffer tape but to no avail)

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i bust my ribs playing roller derby, 3 x200mg ever SIX hours though, works better than 2 x 200 every four, pain relief seems to last longer and kick in quicker, but be careful with your doses

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Am on a heady mix of over-the-counter Co-Codamol and Ibuprofen. Seems to be holding it at bay!

Thanks, Dr STW. Probably numb enough to go for a gentle spin tonight 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What over-the-counter painkillers for bruised/cracked ribs?’ is closed to new replies.