Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What outdoor trainer shoe boot sort of thing?
  • Eyepic
    Free Member

I usually buy Merrell Moab which last me quite well and do what I need them for, which is a general day to day trainer/outdoor shoe-boot thing.

The time has come for a new pair and I have been wondering if I should consider another type… water resistance would be a great advantage but needs to be comfortable and breatheble.

I have broad feet so no skinny footwear that would need me to shave off a toe.

Any ideas appreciated.

BTW web site that sell at adiscount but I can exchange if I chose the wrong size also appreciated.

somouk
    Free Member

I recently had some Scarpa shoes similar to what you describe and for my weird shaped feet they are excellent as the laces go further down than a conventional shoe aswell.

Goretex lined which helps on wet days.

Not cheap mind, I think they were £135 but in my eyes worth it for the comfort.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Just got some Meindl Respond GTX which seem excellent… I’m surprised you’ve got on with Merrells if you’ve got wide feet – I find they pinch the widest part of my foot.

Scarpas are great, but a bit pricier – I have some leather walking boots and they’re a good fit for a wider foot.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Go with Meindl. They are not a narrow fit like most approach shoes. Superb quality with great memory foam insoles. I have the leather ones that are goretex lined. 2yrs old and going strong. Very comfy. I used to have the moab ones but then there sizing went all to pot and I went from a 12 being perfect to being very tight and the 13 being like a boat!

footflaps

water resistance would be a great advantage but needs to be comfortable and breathable.

I always find these mutually exclusive requirements and have two pairs, a GTX pair which I only use when it is raining (which don’t breathe much) and a non water proof pair for dry days.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve gone down the adidas route. really like the current adidas range.
    bought a pair of adidas AX2 GTX. very comfy and plenty of grip and support. price was good too….paid £60 for them from “ze germans”

natrix
    Free Member

I used to have the moab ones but then there sizing went all to pot

I used to have Merrels for years, they fitted my feet really well and as you said, suddenly their sizes went pear shaped 😯

conkers
    Free Member

I recently bought a pair of five ten camp four and got a good deal from nevisport.
    I went for five ten as they have a broad fit like their riding shoes.
    Hopefully they will last a lot better than the riding shoes as they won’t have flat pedal pins tearing into the sole or a constant jet wash from the front wheel but I can’t say for sure as they are only a week old.
    The fit is good though as I won’t have to spend the first few weeks with blisters on my little toe while waiting for the toe box to spread.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably old advice but head somewhere that either does sales (Ambleside etc) or big outdoor shop try lots on and see what fits

footflaps

I recently bought a pair of five ten camp four

These are my favourite in winter, too warm for summer.

Cougar

Salomon all the way for me. Similar sort of thing to your Merrells, but I found Salomon to be much comfier.

natrix
    Free Member

If you are near decathlon, they have a wide range

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Salomon for me, just fit my feet well, and last ages

hp_source

Another Salomon wearer here – currently sat at work in a pair of their ‘trainers’. With two pairs of mid goretex boots on the go at home, my dog walking pair are about 3 years old, pretty worn out, but as comfy as slippers.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Salomon are very narrow fit though, I found them to be narrower than Merrells…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Salomon are very narrow fit though, I found them to be narrower than Merrells…

I used to find them a bit slim fitting, even when sizing up. But, because I liked the colour, I ordered a pair of these from Wiggle:

Turns out, well the ones I got, are the M+ model, with a wider last. Not sure if I just got a rogue pair, or all in that colour are the wide versions. As confusingly, Salomon do a wide and regular version in the same colour.

canopy
    Free Member

^ hah.. i ride in a pair of 10+ year old merrells that look just like those 🙂 i’ve got a newer pair of merrells I ride in if they get particularly nuked and don’t dry out in midwinter. I’ve used some cheapo waterproof spray to make them watertight again with some success.

(also have ‘proper’ salomon walking boots which apart from having an eyelet replaced at a cobbler are great too).. can’t go wrong with either brand really.

geoffj

Adidas

slowoldman

I always recommend Haglofs Vertigo. Expensive but very well made and tough – easily resoled too, which ultimately saves money.

mattbee

Having used Merrel, Salomon and Meindl for years I’m particularly impressed with the North Face Hedgehog I bought for general wear. Comfy and ‘waterproof’, have lasted 18 months so far looking pretty good and not falling apart.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What outdoor trainer shoe boot sort of thing?’ is closed to new replies.