Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What other sports have you competed in?
  • psling
    Free Member

Came up in conversation at the weekend, but what sports have you competed in (by competed, meaning taking part in actual competitive events)?

For me it has been boxing, judo, darts, pool, football, rugby union, rowing, motor sport (4×4 Trials & Comp. Safaris) and cycling (MTB). Some more successfully than others… 😕

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Skiing (international standard)Tennis (club level when younger)Running (local short events) Football (school team)

tinsy
    Free Member

MTB (XC)
    BMX
    CYCLE SPEEDWAY
    MX

Did a couple of TT’s but not sure they count.

Can you see a pattern there?

yunki
    Free Member

I was junior southwest bong smoking champion 1987-1991 8)

gusamc
    Free Member

football, pinball, floorball, motoball, motorbike enduro, windsurfing, pool, darts, hockey, snooker, tennis, motorbike 24hr endurance*as pit crew

*does dirty scrabble count

andytherocketeer

Won a crazy golf contest once. edit: but you’ll never catch me playing the real thing.

ourmaninthenorth

Is this including school?

If yes, rugby, cricket, athletics, squash, fives, sailing.

If no, rugby, football, squash, hockey.

andyrm
    Free Member

Swimming (national level), rugby (county level at school), MTB XC in the 90s as a teenager, then a 10 year “misspent youth” gap, then back to MTB XC before moving to Enduro.

scaled
    Free Member

Badminton (county)
    Rugby union (club)

Mtb (leisure) has taken over from both of these though as I only really get the chance to get out twice a week these days.

clubber
    Free Member

Just rowing. Did spend 15+ years doing it though. Quite nice to have stopped now 🙂 (great sport but hard work)

oddjob
    Free Member

swimming, cross country running, MTB, road racing, triathlon, Sailing and Rugby.

Working on getting back into the sailing next year 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rugby Union (School)

Sailing (club level)

Badminton (ish, there was a group of us who played ~3 hours every saturday for a few years and it was quite competative).

wallop

Dinghy and yacht sailing. Not for years now though 🙁

Macgyver

Dragonboat Racing – both as a club team and in the GB squad going to China for the World Championships.
    Outrigger canowing, longest race I’ve done was 22 miles. Both of the above I am slightly lapsed for competition but I still have my outrigger canoe for just having fun in
    Also a spot of adventure racing and the odd half marathon but I would not call the half marathon racing, more a test of meself!

weeksy

Golf and motorbike racing.

I was a semi pro golfer back in my teens. Took up motorbike racing in my early 30s.

tang
    Free Member

Cricket (town cc)
    Badminton (club)

Only badminton these days with a crew of friends.

peterfile
    Free Member

cross country running (school) – top 20 national from about 15 to 18

badminton (school) – rarely finished outside of top 10 national from 14-18, with 2 scottish schools wins at 15 and 16 which i’ll never forget 🙂

DH MTB (17-24) – was generally somewhere around the middle of the field, although often at the bottom after stacking all the way down

football (15-18) – goal keeper for a couple of reasonable local teams. I was always 2nd keeper and I was always rubbish. never liked football, but all my mates played so enjoyed the company

karate – 11 – 17. I actually had pretty decent results early on, but then it all went pear shaped for some reason!

hmmmm, looking at this tells me a lot about what I focused on after I left school 🙂 I also note a distinct lack of team sports!

EDIT: doh, forgot about snowboarding. Compete occasionally across all a number of areas from 16 to date. Never placed very highly 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Other than mountain biking I’ve done timetrials, cx and road racing.

I’ve also done swimming at a county level and lots of types of canoeing.

canoe polo
    canoe slalom (K1)
    white water racing

Miffy
    Free Member

Gymnastics as a girl to national level.
    Recently taken up racing BMX. Got fed up being cold when watching my son ride at coaching and racing, so joined in and having a blast.

hammerite
    Free Member

Cycling – road race, TT, MTB enduro and CX
    Running – road, xc, fell, track
    Football
    Cricket
    Triathlon – up to Middle Distance

All to average to below average ability

jambalaya
    Free Member

In order of increasing expertese (cough) Basketball, Cricket, Sailing, Hockey

Played in most school sports teams but I don’t count that nor recreational competitions in golf and tennis. Came across a newspaper cutting from 1970, Katara Bears Under 7 Rugby League (NSW, Australia) – my first organized sport and have loved sports especially team orientated ever since

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

MTB
    Motorcycle Trials
    Motorcycle Enduro

lunge

Ignoring school where I was the sporty kid who did everything, athletics to national level as a sprinter, football to semi-pro level and cricket at club standard. I’d love to start playing basketball again but I am not fit enough or indeed good enough.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Various school sports, but squash was the main one.

As a junior, nationally ranked, national squad, represented England in the junior world teams/world champs, various national, european & international tournaments.

Stopped at 19, had a fairly serious injury & grew to actually hate the idea of playing again. Started again about 2 years ago after 11 years of nothing. Standard is dire by comparison, not even mens county standard now. Enjoying playing though & it’s a great social playing county league team squash 🙂

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Crown green bowls for Cumbria. (once)

Won a BMX race. (once)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sailing (International level in sportboats and yachts)
    Windsurfing (UK Comp level)
    Kitesurfing (Competed once, faceplanted the beach, no more competing for me, just fun in waves now)
    Paddleboarding (UK Comps only and only wave riding)
    Ohh,
    And Roadies, Tour of Britain (Kellogs/Milk Race), semi pro for a couple of years “back in the day”

molgrips
    Free Member

At school I did the county athletics thing, in sprinting. Which is a little more than just school football I suppose.

I played for a short time in a company squash ladder too 🙂

Matt24k
    Free Member

I’ve just thrown out a load of old, mostly chrome plated plastic, trophies from my motorbike racing days.
    Club racing on a Yamaha 250LC and British Endurance Championship on a Honda CBR600. Those plastic trophies should have been made out of gold for the amount of time and money I spent over the years.

nbt

Played National League volleyball for a while, also played Div1 in London which is a higher standard

Played Ultimate Frisbee for some years, not played competitively for a good while though

colournoise

Archery

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Most things MTB.

Swam at club level as a nipper and raced reasonably well at regionals.

Played football at some point.

Sailed in some regattas while working summer seasons, if that counts.

singlespeedstu

Schoolboy MX at national level.
    BMX at local level.
    Adult MX at national level
    Enduro at world champs level.
    Also did a few XC races and got on the podium a couple of times.
    Though that was a long time ago.

So all bike related then.

Hells

Triathlon, duathlon, hockey (goalie at U16, U18 & U21 county & district level), sailing, skiing (won my one and only race), equestrian events (show jumping & cross country), judo, softball (National Champs), running, various track & field events and finally cricket (when the office team is desperate)!!

theotherjonv

Cricket to decent club standard – each team had an overseas pro so have played against several first class players, some guys with Test match / ODI caps, and more usually guys from India / pakistan / sri lanka in their age group set ups – U19 international players, etc., some of who went on to the senior levels (more usually because they had lower expectations for their pay compared to the Aussies and NZ’s)

Football (in goal) to county level while at school, then at University level and after Uni at the very bottom edge of semi-pro level. Then got a knee injury, which also put paid to my running – was on track for a 90 minute half marathon and was thinking of moving up to full marathon distance – and as part of my remedial physio they suggested i try cycling instead as it was lower impact*. The rest as they say, is history…..

* low impact – they clearly underestimated my ability to impact the ground and trees with regularity.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Rugby (stopped about 5 years ago) and Clay Pigeon Shooting (still competing[ish] and will probably be shooting long after I’m too knackered to ride a bike!)

willard

At school: Shooting, javelin, discuss, running
    At Uni: Hockey, sailing Tae Kwon Do, drinking
    After Uni: Shooting, running, cycling, ninjutsu, shooting, pool, archery, poker, Jenga

davidjones15
    Free Member

Rowing.

Northwind

I did a motorbike race once. Can’t say I competed :mrgreen:

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Cycling: Cyclo-cross (regional Vets Champ), time-trialling, road racing and MTB.
    School: rugby and cricket

Also recently rekindled my cricket and opened the bowling for a village team 😀

SaxonRider

Seriously competitive:

Ice hockey (goalie) for 10 years
    Football (youth premiership)
    Road cycling

Recreational:

Canadian football
    baseball
    archery
    skiing (xc and downhill)
    orienteering
    waterskiing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What other sports have you competed in?’ is closed to new replies.