Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • What other shops do folk haggle in?
  • ton

i deal with a load of foreign blokes, turkish, polish, croatian, russian, kurdish, pakistani, indian and chinese.

ever single one of them wants to haggle over prices, be it from a £5 bag of coax plugs to a £2000 satellite meter.

i just add 10% on the original price when they 1st ask, and then agree to come down a bit, giving them the goods for the correct price.

they leave quite happy with themselves.

project
    Free Member

When my dad was dying he decided to book a pre-planned funeral, undertaker duly booked to arrive, all solemn and serious, we planned the hymns, the cars what flowers and wreaths etc,then came the time to cost it out, a large sum.

I leaned across to the undetaker and said in a serious voice, “Now how much for cash” the poor undertaker went white,started shaking as he thought of a reverend answer, the room went quiet, until my dad burst out laughing and said, dont worry mr jones, hes having a joke, of course i will pay the full price.

But always worth asking………………

Rscott
    Free Member

Where ever possible,I spent a fair bit of time in spain, mexico, south america etc, buying of markets, if I’m at a market i haggle, normaly to try and get an extra apple or pear etc.

If I have a budget and see something over my budget I will try and get it for the price I want. I got a £4500 car for £4000 book price was £4100, I expected to get it for around £4250 with a bit of work but the guy came down and threw in on my first offer.

Small or private places I wont haggle to much but places like Arnold clark and car supermarket buy the cars for pennys compared to what they sell them for, the sales men are generally a bit slimy (sorry im sure there not all like that) and they try and slyly hide faults with the cars. (having worked in there valeting centre).

Tv’s, outdoor kit you name it i have no shame in it, I will pay ticket price if i have to but why shouldn’t i try and get a deal. I have people coming and asking to reduce aldi reductions all the time some times we oblige some times we don’t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matthewjb
    Free Member

High price, high margin stuff I will haggle on. Jewellery for example.

If they offer interest free credit then you know they’ll knock something off for cash.

A few years ago I went on a sales course with work. The trainer was very keen on haggling. After the course I tried haggling on lots of things. My wife and I were looking to get new coats. I asked if they could do us a deal if we bought both. Apologetically they said they could only give us 10% off. So about £50 saved by just politely asking.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What other shops do folk haggle in?’ is closed to new replies.