Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What other shops do folk haggle in?
  • mrvear
    Free Member

Where else do people shop and ask, “What’s your best price on this £9.99 item?”

atlaz
    Free Member

Surely for a “where else…” you need to give an example?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

most places where I think there is any chance that the person I’m talking to may have some leeway to adjust prices.

zippykona

We had that Don’t get done get Dom bloke in our shop.
    Stupidly he engaged our haughtiest member of staff and she soon had him on the ropes.She had no idea who the “common little barrow boy” was though.

jekkyl

most places where I think there is any chance that the person I’m talking to may have some leeway to adjust prices.

+1, in bike shops defo.

Sometimes in large chains like halfords the staff might know of ways of reducing the cost so most times I’ll at least ask that too.
    One time in a little shop in Illfracombe me and the mrs loved this lamp base and it was up for 80 odd quid. I asked the owner if there was any chance of getting the price down, she looked down her nose at me and haughtily replied ‘but why would I lower the price?’ ‘in order to secure the sale’ I said. She gave a little snotty laugh and ‘No’ came the response. We walked out but probably would have bought it at full price if she wasn’t so rude.

ton

I don’t haggle at all. I have a idea of what I want to pay for something….if the item is near enough, I buy it.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Tesco!

“Blimey, that’s a bit steep for all that! How about the lot for £60 if I use my own bags?”

hp_source

I don’t really haggle much, but if a place advertises that they’ll price match (i.e. Evans) then I’ll happily stand in the shop comparing prices. We did this for baby related stuff on the weekend and saved a small fortune.

mrvear
    Free Member

£80 is a bit different to a tenner. Somebody asked me what my best price on a top was the other week, it was already half price.

jekkyl

This guy won’t haggle!

mrvear
    Free Member

Sorry where else thats not a LBS.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“she looked down her nose at me and haughtily replied ‘but why would I lower the price?’ ‘in order to secure the sale’ I said”

to be fair your just as rude as her , cut nose off to spite face much ?

ill haggle on a car privately if i feel its not worth the asking price – and give reasons , but some folk just haggle for the sake of haggling to feel like they got a deal even if it was already a good deal. , ive been with folk like that and its downright embarrassing, they quite often need to have a word with themselves.

honourablegeorge

Shoe shops, clothes shops, electrical shops (especially electrical shops), cars, furniture, the butcher, basically anywhere I’m dealing with and owner or salesperson as opposed to someone who only rings stuff up at a till.

mrvear
    Free Member

haggling on high priced items I get but a bottle of wet lube?

binners

The off license, then the kebab house later. Sometimes in Greggs

mrvear
    Free Member

😀

tang
    Free Member

I occasionally volunteer at a charity shop. The amount of people who haggle over the already cheap jumble sale prices is amazing.

avdave2

We did this for baby related stuff on the weekend and saved a small fortune.

Unfortunately this will dwarfed by the very large fortune that the child will cost over the next 18 years. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Sometimes in Greggs

Have you told them you are now a mobile advertisement for their fine produce to the outdoor sports community?

Should be worth an apple turnover on the house. 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Tottenham Court Road – electronics shops. Saved £100s over the years by pitching shops against each other.

Little observation… considering the vast majority of the shop owners/staff were of “middle eastern and far eastern” descent, perhaps they saw my “haggling” as perfectly acceptable business, provided it was kept light hearted.

Bartering for a price is “normal” practise in some cultures.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

ill haggle on a car privately if i feel its not worth the asking price – and give reasons , but some folk just haggle for the sake of haggling to feel like they got a deal even if it was already a good deal. , ive been with folk like that and its downright embarrassing, they quite often need to have a word with themselves.

Cars are absolute must haggle items. REgardless of the asking price.
    I’m after a new Mondeo Estate but I’m not paying the ticket price on principle.
    I need to move the dealer £500 on his £11k motor or I’m not buying, simple as that. I expect he’s got a grand of margin in it. I don’t mind him making a living but…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Cars are absolute must haggle items. REgardless of the asking price.”

why ?

its worth whats its worth if i feel its worth whats being asked and its in good nick , ill pay the ticket , if i feel he is chancing his arm ill knock him down with justifications. “securing the sale” is not a justification , and i have in the past told folk to jog on for comments like that in a sales role – any time i have bent over to meet a target with folk like that they have without exception been nothing but trouble in the long run.

Lifer
    Free Member

Any private sale is worth a haggle!

Can usually talk them down in an off license as mentioned above. I’ve successfully haggled a few things up as well, selling stuff to the scrap yard/offloading spare tickets to touts (only after walking round trying to sell to normal people first!).

xiphon
    Free Member

To some businesses, “securing the sale” is a necessary evil for cash flow purposes…

I wouldn’t be surprised if car sales are in this bracket

Junkyard
    Free Member

to be fair your just as rude as her

No he is miles away from that
    they run a shop they want to sell stuff
    there are many polite answers to the will you lower the price that means they wont just walk out

I have lived in the middle east I have haggled for hours
    i once did this and realised i was arguing over what was 5p!

I tend to either just pay the price or offer what i am willing to pay rather than just haggle
    Someone on here once tried to haggle me down to £6 for a brand new tyre that was £20 new and the postage was about a fiver
    I offered to do this but warned them it would arrive in many pieces in a small box

Some folk seem to want to do it as a matter of principle rather than seeing that it is a fair price that is being offered

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cars are absolute must haggle items. REgardless of the asking price.
    I’m after a new Mondeo Estate but I’m not paying the ticket price on principle.
    I need to move the dealer £500 on his £11k motor or I’m not buying, simple as that. I expect he’s got a grand of margin in it. I don’t mind him making a living but…

Private Vs trade though. Some people just like to knock 10% off the price for the sake of thinking they’ve got a good deal. I’d not haggle unless there was actualy soemthing worth haggling over.

E.g. bought a car, needed a service, new disk and pads. Asked for those to be done and then paid the asking price. Bough a boat recently, sail was a bit outdated so I said I wanted at least 60% of the cost of a new sail off what would have been a ‘good’ price (it was already cheep) and we agreed on that before I;d even seen it (it was an hour and a bits drive so both parties quite happy to have the price fixed before making the jounrey).

Classifieds on here is the worst for it though. Put something up for sale for £x, get offered £x-10%. Doesnt sell for some reason, stick it back up at £x+10% (wasn’t profiteering, just plucking a number out of my head), get offered £x.

edlong
    Free Member

I’ll try and haggle on a car, sometimes you get something, sometimes you don’t. Sometimes sellers make it pretty damn obvious what the haggle room is in their pricing – you know, when you see car advertised for £8,150 or similar?

I’ve heard the windscreen price described as the “vicar’s wife” price before now by people in the trade, i.e. there will be the very rare, very trusting individual who writes a cheque for the asking price, but they expect most to look for some movement.

I know a few people who’ve bought from a local “car supermarket” and invariably £2K comes off the price along the way, with the usual games of “phoning the boss for authorisation” etc.

My LBS haggles like that bloke in Life of Brian – I’m usually happy to pay the marked price, but invariably seem to end up with some sort of discount that I haven’t asked for. I’m not complaining though..

maccruiskeen

A friend of mine spent a lot of time travelling in Africa and came back a seasoned haggler. He would steer a fine line between the keenest bargain and being carried out of the shop and flung in the gutter.

Was out with him once and we needed some UV fluorescent tubes.

“how much are you UV tubes?”
    shop keeper “£10 each”
    How much if I buy 20 of them”
    shop keeper “you can have 20 for £7 each”
    “Ok I’ll have three for £7 each then”

Shopkeeper reluctantly agreed effectively to give one tube away for pretty much free.

Stepping out of the shop Johnnie tilted the boxes that the tubes were in and one slid out an smashed, so we had to go straight back in a buy another

“they’re £20 each now ” the shop keeper said, before we could even ask 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Last-but-one car I bought was new. We were going to finance it – 50% deposit, and the remaining 50% on 0% finance over 3 years.

I was eventually told to stop haggling by Dr North (via her booting me in the shins and saying “That’s enough!”) when I was down to the last £72. That’s £2 a month at zero per cent interest.

Last car I bought was a second hand Mini for her. The cocky, patent shoe-wearing salesman/lad had developed a nervous tick and a stutter by the time we’d finished negotiating the price. 🙂

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

anywhere I feel its appropriate…. which is almost everywhere
    DIY store, shoe shop, electronics store, etc

If you don’t ask, you don’t get and 10% is normally pretty easy.

donks
    Free Member

The idea off haggling makes me shudder… I’m English don’t you know, I simply smile, pay up and grumble to the wife when I get home. I even struggle on the classifieds.

bencooper
    Free Member

I never haggle. It just seems so, well, common.

I don’t normally even bother to ask the price. Just tell them that my man will be along to settle up later.

johndoh
    Free Member

I only ever haggle on cars and houses or when I am in Mediterranean climes.

My (ex – mad as a box of frogs) sister-in-law would haggle for anything and everything – it was embarrassing – like the time she tried (unsuccessfully) to haggle over a Big Mac Meal Deal. The assistant looked utterly confused at her line of questioning. Ohh, and she went on to ask if their onions were real or onion substitute.

IanW
    Free Member

I’ll haggle in any shop that sells something for double the cost elsewhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

My LBS knock 10% off without me ever having asked, cos I’m a good customer. It’s not discussed, it just happens 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, I go there, they always knock 20% off for me.

They don’t like you.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Guitar shops
    Electricals
    Cars, especially since I had a tour of the forecourt on a quiet day with a mate who sold Fords and I found out what the bottom lines were compared to the prices on the windscreens. 😯 (although tbf he said that in his experience they were larger margins than most other brands)
    Antiques
    Collectables

Not haggled in a bike shop since I bought an ex demo bike about 10 years ago though. Assuming that we are not counting producing your membership card and asking for the local club discount. That is a far nicer way to get a few bob off and encourages you to join a local club (or two…)

cfinnimore
    Free Member

The alterations place.

Only a fool pays the man the price on the door.

bradley
    Free Member

My lbs would occasionally knock 10% off from time to time. The store where I bought all of my MX gear from knocked 10% off all my purchases and still do. I’m going back soon to buy a new helmet (£380) and I should imagine it’ll end up being a lot less than that.

However, £10, I wouldn’t even bother.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What other shops do folk haggle in?’ is closed to new replies.