Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • What ONE bike?
  • sherry
    Free Member

I’m still in the market for a do it all bike, who isn’t? Looking for something with around 5.5/6″ of travel and can be pedaled up hill with reasonable comfort, nothing stupidly heavy (over 34 lb). It has to be a bit beefy along with good frame sizing as I’m 6’6″ and 220lb! Merlin were doing a good deal on RM slayer but didn’t have a 20.5″ in my size. Any help is much appreciated 🙂

alexonabike

Ellsworth Moment?

ton

ventana el capitan 29r.
    you are a similar build to me, tho a bit lighter.
    i have built mine pretty robustly, 32lbs 21” frame.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robhughes
    Free Member

marin wolf ridge 6.9 or attack trail.
    i know them being marin may put you of but they realy are top bikes(look at the reviews on them)my 08 wolf ridge rides like a dream,140 travel 34lbs high spec ,pees all over a few bikes i,ve test rode.

sherry
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, I will check the bikes out, never really considered a 29er.

markd
    Free Member

Buy a Zesty,

Pay me for this sage advice later on.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Turner 5 Spots seem very popular.

Isn’t part of the fun with bikes that there is no such thing as a ‘do it all’ bike!!??

sherry
    Free Member

I have a cove hardtail for XC duties, the full sus will be for everything else. I would rather buy a good AM/mid travel bike with nice spec as opposed to a mediocre short and long travel full sus. That and I dont have the space. The Zesty looks nice!

markd
    Free Member

i ride my zesty most out of all mine.

it seems to do everything well

chela
    Free Member

Turner Sultan 29er?

At your size I’d def look at 29ers. The taller you are the more sense they make, and at 6’6″ you’re pretty tall 😉

sherry
    Free Member

How good are 29″ wheels at taking drops and jumps etc, I thought the rims would go out much easier? I don’t really know much about them to tell you the truth. Defo would need to try one before parting with my hard earned! I’v read there pretty good, but why don’t you see more people on them if there that good?

will
    Free Member

Giant Trance X
    Giant Reign

catnash
    Free Member

For me its the s-works enduro. Though I will get a HT for night duties when the autumn comes back..

ton

sherry, my wheels are kris holm 29r rims built with sapim super spokes on dmr rims.
    these wheels are as tough as any fr/dh combo.
    check out kris holm using the same rims….

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

if i had to thin my stable i’d go with my intense 5.5, absolutely love that bike (and nice to know its made by guys rocking out to ac/dc in a small stateside workshop and not some anonymous factory in the far east).

rj
    Free Member

Is this a rhetorical question? 1 bike? That would be a Nomad.

rj
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it?

rj
    Free Member

Oh god, now I’m starting to doubt myself.

rj
    Free Member

Seriously, if someone could just give me a bit of validation here?

ton

it looks like a shitting dog, nuff said…..

rj
    Free Member

Please?…

Toasty

6’6″ here, used to be about 210lbs, now about 200. Commencal Meta or Spesh Enduro for me, both fit fantastically. I’ve owned the Meta for about a year now and still love it to bits, the Enduro I rode at a demo day (after riding lots of others which I didn’t get on with) felt very similar, slightly more efficient, slightly less gung ho.

Mine is currently an ’06 Enduro @ around 33-34lbs.

Soon it will be an S-Works Enduro frame, Roval Traversee wheelset, Hope Tech M4 brakes, XT front & rear mechs (shadow on the back), Easton Carbon bars, hopefully around 28lbs

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m very happy with my Nomad. It doesn’t hold me up anywhere really. It may not be the fastest bike uphill but then I’m not the fastest rider uphill. It’s certainly very capable everywhere else. With mine being the mark 2 it doesn’t look like shitting dog either.

Doug
    Free Member

Prophets are nice and long in the top tube. I’m 6’4″ and ride a L with a 410mm seatpost so XL should suit you fine even with a short stem.

twohats
    Free Member

#
    rj – Member

Is this a rhetorical question? 1 bike? That would be a Nomad.
    Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post
    #
    rj – Member

Wouldn’t it?
    #
    rj – Member

Oh god, now I’m starting to doubt myself.
    #
    rj – Member

Seriously, if someone could just give me a bit of validation here?

Yep, Nomad.

cluke
    Free Member

Kona Dawg

sherry
    Free Member

Cheers again everyone lots to think about, but in a good way 😀

hicksville
    Free Member

titus el guapo

Bertros
    Free Member

niner… Any.. niner.. my RIP9 is good for the Alps, C Carn, Mendips, North downs, penines… I think you catch my drift.. however you could not pop it in a xc race.. if you want to fly up and down tow paths or roads as well then may be an aggressive 29er Hard tail.. At your size (like me).. it will fit correctly,… It dont feel and look like a BMX 😉 but also and agresive Hard tail will feel like its got short travel at the rear as the larger wheels will soak up the terrain better..

I love the look of the on one Ti 29er.. that will last you for years and be a true 1 bike fits all… quite possibly be the last bike you every “need” to buy..

squattingmouse
    Free Member

If you go Kona stay at the Dawgs end of the spectrum. Much as I love my coiler I wouldn’t describe it as a good all day bike as it’s fairly heavy and doesn’t climb well. Great fun going down hill though.

Mugboo

Hemlock

psychle
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo 😀

or an Enduro SL 😀

sherry
    Free Member

I was looking at a santa cruz heckler, I’v never riden one and the frame has been around for a while, are they any good?

Driller
    Free Member

One bike, what’s that about then?

That would be no fun at all!

I can’t see it’s really even remotely possible.

My other choice would be a Trek Remedy 8

BearBack
    Free Member

Slayer.. a little too much bike for pedalling IMO.

Check out WMB for last months trail bike reviews.. pretty good test group with the Lapierre coming out on top.

For more travel and a wider range of ‘do it all’, I’d find it hard to beat my carbon Ransom. I’ve XC raced one for a season, I trail guide all summer on one and I’ve also been off the big GLC drop on Whistlers DH park on it. Done plenty of Loonie races on it too where we’ve pedalled up B-line to the top and ridden back down on the more techy trails.. so in those 40 minute races, the Ransom definately does it all. Although in all fainess, my Spark does those same bike park races and I reckon I’m probably quicker on that.
    I reckon that the Spicy’s got to be worth a look too.

Aside from that, my list would include Remedy, Nomad, and for sheer value, a Reign.

Olly
    Free Member

cotc soul

doesnt fit your specification, but your specification is rubbish 😉

GrahamA
    Free Member

When you ask what is the ‘one bike’ you will get one answer per person for me the one bike would have less travel that you are looking for as where I ride I don’t need that much travel.

If you are looking for a bike with 6” travel at both ends I’d take a look at the Brodie Zealot. I have a 2008 version and It’s an absolute hoot to ride far exceeding my talent and ability. It would tick all your boxes as it come in under 34lb and the adjustable fork combined with a 4 bar linkage will mean that it pedals uphill OK.

Have you considered one of the newer generation of bikes with asymmetric travel?

Someone has already suggested the Hemlock and by swapping rocker places and forks you could have a very versatile bike. You could also take a look at the Orange Blood which I recall was designed by the guys at Orange to be a do it all bike.

Jamie
    Free Member

I use a Dialled Alpine wiv pikes as my ‘one’ bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What ONE bike?’ is closed to new replies.