Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • What on earth is wrong with Steve Jones?
  • edoverheels
    Free Member

Leave him alone. Steve Jones is tops.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

good points in the article though – once you can read it quickly..

psling
    Free Member

Having a coversation with him is exactly the same; he talks just as he writes 😀 Infact, he rides much the same too! He knows what he’s doing and saying and if you analyse it enough it mostly makes a lot of sense. Now, must go and lick a stick-on tat… 8)

hora
    Free Member

Just to be clear Im semi-OT on this topic Im grumbling about recent dirt mags/lack of content

hels
    Free Member

Gonzo ?

Hunter S Thompson at least had a proof editor !

That’s just shoddy and cheap.

I just can’t read Dirt anymore, it’s not just the typos that should never have made it all the way to print, sometimes there are whole paragraphs of text that have just fallen out, did anybody try to read the article on biking in NZ recently ? One minute they are biking along the west coast then you turn the page and they are in a B & B in Nelson.

I’d proof read it for free for them, in the interests of the English language, but I doubt they would be organised enough to send it all out 24 hours before publication.

maxtorque

I’m not really sure on his point about “too much adjustment” however.

Lets say you have a pair of shocks, where the rebound can be controlled between say 1NS/M and 10NS/M. One shock has three settings, one shock 10.

Lets say the optimum setting was 6NS/M. Which shock can be best set up, and which can be set up the worst? On average, the 10setting shock has a distribution of setting probabilities that are closer to the optimum!

And, lets face it, if you’re really too stupid to understand what as few as 4 dials/levers do, well, let’s face it, you’re pretty stupid (or haven’t read the manual (or can’t actually read 😉

robbieh
    Free Member

company’s
    Any journalist publishing that should be sacked on the spot.

Haha, have you seen any spelling by schoolteachers lately? 😆

bigrich

Still, if he’s dep-ed, still it is appalling.

FTFY

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But in the same way for any bike 70% of the settings are stupid/wrong/unrideable, you don’t need them on the outside you can do it on the inside.

ianv
    Free Member

Is it time for the annual jones bashing thread again?

I like his gonzo style, I also respect the fact he is a decent rider and passionate about the sport. He has also turned dirt into arguably the most influential (and best) mag in gravity mountain biking. Maybe you are just not the target demographic!

yunki
    Free Member

will people stop calling this gonzo journalism FFS!

it’s just very poor writing

jimjam
    Free Member

yunki

Would you care to post up your own bike review for scrutiny?

ratherbeintobago

will people stop calling this gonzo journalism FFS!

Yunki is right. It is very poor writing. This in itself isn’t a problem if there isn’t a total failure of proofreading and sub-editing, as appears to have happened to Dirt.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

But in the same way for any bike 70% of the settings are stupid/wrong/unrideable, you don’t need them on the outside you can do it on the inside.

Yesssss. But. How will the more tightly tuned shocks cope with fat biffers with 1500lb springs on? My DHX4’s got a load of settings I’ll never use, because I weigh as much as a child, but a shock for a production bike’s got to cover all the basis- rider shapes, sizes, styles and tastes. It’s hard to see how the shock can do both.

andyrm
    Free Member

I love Dirt and I love Jones’ writing style – I always think it’s pretty much like a transcript of how a bunch of us would talk about the way a bike feels at the bottom of a fast DH run – not 100% coherent but full of enthusiasm and throwing in loads of descriptions all in one go.

I’d rather read that than some story of a geezer solo riding for a billion hours to find himself any day………..

yunki
    Free Member

Would you care to post up your own bike review for scrutiny?

really!!!?

no I **** wouldn’t.. I’m a housewife and visual artist, not a payed journalist..

If you were sold a strawberry yoghurt that tasted of rancid pus and gave you galloping diarrhoea and you complained about it, would you then be expected to produce a good yoghurt to prove that you have enough experience to denounce the yoghurt as shite..?

no

That said, I could probably still write an infinitely more coherent piece than the examples of monsieur Jones’ lazy and demented spewings that have been cited in this thread

munrobiker
    Free Member

Andyrm- Really? Do you actually talk like that? How do you ever get your point across?

It isn’t gonzo. It’s illegible. You can never tell if he actually likes a bike or not, he can slag it off for five paragraphs then end by saying it’s great. The worst I remember is the Orange Blood review a few years ago.

I know he’s a good rider (mind, so are Muldoon and Milner from MBR, and Janet is nowhere near as bad as Northwind implies, certainly relative to other women at the same race), but if you’re a good rider and a crap writer you’ll never get your point across and shouldn’t be trying to convey your opinions in exchange for money.

yunki
    Free Member

Good heavens you boys.. It’s blue blooded murder of the English tongue..

johnnystorm

I can’t comment on the journalist concerned but I’d probably forgive him as long he didn’t refer to a bike as having “pop” or being “playful”. Ghastly trend.

yunki
    Free Member

johnnystorm – Member
    as long he didn’t refer to a bike as having “pop” or being “playful”. Ghastly trend.

hey.. shut up! My last bike was very perky.. like an eager spaniel

andyrm
    Free Member

but if you’re a good rider and a crap writer you’ll never get your point across and shouldn’t be trying to convey your opinions in exchange for money.

Unless of course there is a demand for your journalistic style – and seemingly there is, from the views on Dirt TV and mag sales. Maybe, just maybe, the demographic on STW is very different to that of Dirt and therefore content and style is different to suit?

jimjam
    Free Member

yunki

really!!!?

no I **** wouldn’t.. I’m a housewife and visual artist, not a payed journalist..

If you were sold a strawberry yoghurt that tasted of rancid pus and gave you galloping diarrhoea and you complained about it, would you then be expected to produce a good yoghurt to prove that you have enough experience to denounce the yoghurt as shite..?

no

Yeah yeah, rancid pus, diarrhoea. But what if everyone else thought the yoghurt tasted fine? A bit different from the norm perhaps, somewhat home made maybe. Taste is always going to be a subjective thing, and given Jones’ popularity and that of Dirt I’d say you’re in the minority. If you actually are a visual artist I’m sure you know fine well that some people like your work, others will call it shit out of hand.

And….

That said, I could probably still write an infinitely more coherent piece than the examples of monsieur Jones’ lazy and demented spewings that have been cited in this thread

You post on a mountain bike forum, presumably you own and ride a mountain bike. You obviously believe you could do better going by your grandiloquent posts. Hence my earlier request.

To attack someone, then say you don’t need to prove yourself because that’s not your job, but to finish and say you could do better anyway is conceited in my opinion.

warpcow
    Free Member

I can’t say Jones’ style bothers me enough to get all angry about it. He seems genuinely passionate about it all. Some of his minions on the other hand… I’m not sad to see that Billy-the-web has gone, and the guy who did the recent Myles Rockwell interview should shot. 99% of it was the interviewer gushing about Aaron Gwin and showing no interest in Rockwell. I’m praying it’s not him who’s doing the Missy interview in the next issue.

yunki
    Free Member

jimjam –

ok – you’re obviously his mate or something or have a thing for him or whatever

I bought a copy of Dirt mag once – the typeface and layout and colours made me feel a bit seasick.. I struggled through a couple pages and vowed never to buy it again..
    Now looking at some of the examples of the writing on here, I see that the writing style has the same effect on me.. makes me feel a bit dizzy and is very difficult to try and decipher any meaningful narrative from..
    I have no idea if I could do better, and I’m wondering why you seem so interested in whether I could.. It seems an incredibly peculiar way to judge the bloke in question’s lack of skill.. 😕

By comparing his writing to that of someone who has very little interest in reading or writing bicycle reviews, especially reviews that have been written as badly as the examples cited in this thread..?

I feel a bit bad, cos I realise now that Steve Jones is only like 15 or something so as an erudite 40 something it’s really not my place to judge what goes down in youf culture.. (I had no idea who Steve Jones was which is why I opened the thread)
    I was just having a laugh with my response to you..
    I don’t want to get into a debate, I couldn’t really care less, and I’ve only responded again cos I think you’re taking this all a bit too seriously and now I think you’re a bit of a dick and I’m a bit offended

I’m conceited as a peacock if that makes you feel any better, so you have managed to be correct on that point at least 😀

My only (lighthearted) beef was with people comparing this to gonzo journalism, which was a quite important political movement conducted by some extremely radical and intelligent people in the 60s..
    I’ll go and get myself a copy of Dirt this very afternoon though, and struggle through it to discover if it has the same political weight

I’m sorry if you felt that I was mean about someone that you like.. I hope it hasn’t upset you too much

Northwind

Think there’s a wee bit of an assumption from some folks that mocking Jonesisms means you don’t like the mag… Dirt is the best UK mtb mag, despite its eccentricities and flaws. It could be better, quite easily, so it probably should be but that doesn’t make it bad.

I wonder how far Jones is now writing to the expectations…

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Dirt is ace and I really like Jones’ writing style.

His reviews on kit & bikes help me make an informed decision – I have in the past bought two bikes, based in part on Jones’ reviews. Those bikes have been the best bikes I have owned.

yunki
    Free Member

But what if everyone else thought the yoghurt tasted fine?

but they don’t, hence this thread

besides, my analogy is correct.. I don’t see how you can argue with it, maybe you’ve been dumbed down by reading too many poorly written magazine articles..?

perhaps your brain is turning to yoghurt..!?

duffmiver
    Free Member

I feel a bit bad, cos I realise now that Steve Jones is only like 15 or something

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about!

Steve Jones’ grammar may not be perfect, but he knows how to ride a bike. Dirt is good to read and features real mountain bikers. STW is for mincy, single-speeding ****ts, as evidenced by all the threads on road-bikes!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t really like the Singletrack magazine. It is a bit too nichecore with all the bivvying and stuff. Though I remember it having a big singlespeedy image even though, by the time I stopped subscribing in about 2006, I’d only seen one SS in it.

Dirt is a decent mag, but Jones’s writing is getting worse by the issue and I may stop spending my money on it since I can’t understand it. I pay for the magazine based on how good a read it is, not how good a rider its “journalists” are.

duffmiver
    Free Member

I only read one issue, it featured an article about someone growing a beard.

My judgments were based solely on the contents of this forum.

cookeaa

I’m going to have to agree with Yunki…

Steve Jones is not really what any other area of journalism would accept as an able journalist, that fact is probably compounded by the lack of editorial control evident when you pick up and read Dirt.
    His philosophical ramblings leave me cold, and just seem like attempts to make the self evident or mundane seem in some way profound, he write about bicycles and riding bicycles, it’s not that deep really…

It’s certainly not Gonzo journalism it’s just poor writing with enough fanbois blowing smoke up his arse that any “Haterz”, those who dare to be critical, are just shouted down for not agreeing

Why defend someone for doing a shite job just because they have enthusiasm, an enthusiastic but shite police officer or paramedic would hopefully not be able to carve out a similar 20+ year career without any noticeable improvement in their work (although I’m sure there are more than a couple of examples).

I remember when Dirt first started up, they were writing about the sort of mountain biking that I was interested in, it’s Sloppier Cut’n’paste style and numerous typos were something you were happy to overlook because of the general feel of it, the (for the time) wonderful photo’s of riding and racing set it apart. And yes the enthusiasm of Jones and the others that produced it outshone the polished glossy crap that was MBR/MBUK…

The trouble it that was 20 odd years ago, and now while they’ll happily price Dirt at the same level as the comics it once put to shame, the writing is at about the same level it was back on day one, there’s been very little evolution, just glossier paper and some layout tidying.
    Pretty pictures are still just pretty pictures, only now they’re all over the interwebz, as are badly written articles about mountain biking, so why pay for Dirt.

I really don’t think it offers anything like the VFM it once did. Part of that is because Dirt did influence a whole generation who’ve all been through university and popped out the other end keen to create publications and websites pretty much in the same vein as Dirt, you can get access to the same sort of writing and images without paying a penny…

More generally Dirt has just become another overpriced lifestyle pamphlet for middle-upper income types to nonchalantly leave on view on the coffee table, along with some snowboarding/skate/BMX/Surfing mags so that any visitors are made well aware of their Rad^Gnarr proclivities… The quality of the actual product has become secondary to the image it projects…

Flame away Biaches…

kimbers

nonchalantly leave on view on the coffee table, along with some snowboarding/skate/BMX/Surfing mags so that any visitors are made well aware of their Rad^Gnarr proclivities.

i just leave mine in the bathroom for pooh time reading material, I cant say I leave it there for others to find

ratherbeintobago

Though I remember it having a big singlespeedy image even though, by the time I stopped subscribing in about 2006, I’d only seen one SS in it.

There was a singlespeed group test a while back, which was the first one they’d ever done.

ST appeals to me, but then I am part of the middle-aged mincecore target market.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I have to add to all this that Steve Jones’ webcast ‘interviews’ on Dirt are a buttock clenchingly painful experience.

As if to evidence just how down-with-the-stars he is, he exudes this overly familiar nonchalance around them, which is painful to watch. A recent one with Dan Atherton was wincingly bad. He may have been ‘hanging out’ at the Atherton’s place (lucky for him), but when viewed TBH this piece was seriously lacking in any sense of basic media awareness..

Shameful.

I didn’t realise that he was Mr Dirt, because up ’till then I actually thought Dirt was cool.. *hangs head in shame*

wrecker
    Free Member

More generally Dirt has just become another overpriced lifestyle pamphlet for middle-upper income types to nonchalantly leave on view on the coffee table, along with some snowboarding/skate/BMX/Surfing mags so that any visitors are made well aware of their Rad^Gnarr proclivities… The quality of the actual product has become secondary to the image it projects…

I’m a digital only subscriber. 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

whimsical mincing content

Harsh but fair.

I’ve grown quite fond of Jonesy’s reviews personally. I get disappointed when they let someone else do a review instead and there are no comments about the large size not being big enough.

And some of you clearly haven’t read Dirt for a couple of years, they had a big redesign, went more mainstream and stopped printing black on blue, etc.

yunki
    Free Member

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about!

Aaah well, ignorance is bliss

Steve Jones’ grammar may not be perfect, but he knows how to ride a bike.

that is absolutely fascinating

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

So… has ST gone all whimsically mincing now then? Last time I bought a copy (+2 years ago) it seemed to be a magazine almost entirely devoted to which bike and/or niche product combination was best for riding down slippery stone steps in Calderdale.

Northwind

chakaping – Member

And some of you clearly haven’t read Dirt for a couple of years, they had a big redesign, went more mainstream and stopped printing black on blue, etc.

No they haven’t 😕 Last time I noticed it was just a few issues ago. Article on Hafjell possibly? Something like that anyway. And they still do the “oops, paragraph printed off the page” thing too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘What on earth is wrong with Steve Jones?’ is closed to new replies.