Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What on earth is wrong with me?
  • bedmaker

What gives me the compulsion to buy old crap like this just because it’s a bike?
    [/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

Yes, it’s in great nick, its quirky and rare. Everytning is original and works. (apart from the natty tartan seat cover) BUT I really have no use for it.

Weird.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

nothing, i have an old moulton which is amazing to ride to and from the pub on. so much fun.

alfabus
    Free Member

if you don’t want it, I’ll have it – i need a new pub bike 🙂

billysugger
    Free Member

Which one?

bedmaker

Ha! The green one. It’s a perfect pub bike, it’s just I never ride to a pub unless it’s on the tandem with the wife and even if I did, I’ve already got a bike I could use. 2 or 3 of them really tbh.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Use it as a road DH bike,

Find a big hill and ride it down it, 🙂

TiRed

You are right. Green rims never look good. As for that Raleigh RSW-16, a proper bike. There is an interesting history around Raleigh’s response to the Moulton. Sheldon has an introduction if you are interested. I had a lovely Moulton that I used to ride, until the forks snapped and I donated it on to be repaired. Still miss it. The balloon tyres of the RSW are, sadly, not in the same league. But the forks might not snap.

bedmaker

Yeah TiRed, I didn’t even know what it was till I looked into it when I got home. I thought it was an 80’s thing but it’s 1965.
    Even the dynamo works fine.
    A bit more here

TiRed

I am a bike geek enough to know EXACTLY what it is. Nice purchase. you’ll have a Bickerton next 😉

EDIT: and technically it’s not a Raleigh 20 – the most theft-proof bike about at the moment. Sheldon’s main page is also very good. I think it’s a lovely bike in excellent condition. Look after it.

fasthaggis

Looks alright,you should have bought this one

🙂

iainc

i had one of those bikes 35 years ago !

brakes
    Free Member

because it’s a bike.
    it’s a good looking bike too.
    I had something similar but smaller as my first bike as a kid.
    I always keep my eye out for old bargain shoppers* like that.

*that’s what I call them… it’s probably not accurate before I get geeked.

shermer75
    Free Member

I agree, lovely bike, it gets better the more you learn about it. Nice one! Are you going to try and track down one of the original bags?

natrix
    Free Member

Sounds like the initial symptoms of cat aids, you need to see a vet 😆

bedmaker

Fasthaggis, I’d love one of those but they go for a fair bit more money than my G3LS. I’d like one of the older rigid scramblers.

Might keep an eye out for a bag too. I may hang on to it to do the Bravo Scozia next year 😀 As it is, the rack is great for backies.

shermer75
    Free Member

I may hang on to it to do the Bravo Scozia next year

You’ll be needing to hang on to that tartan seat cover then 😉

MoreCashThanDash

This summer there was a group of old boys in tweeds hammering bikes like that round Donnington Park at one of the cycle nights.

Retro riders with a new retro niche!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I also had an RSW 16! Got it for Xmas in about 1965 too. My Mum did some part time work at the post office to pay for it. I rode miles & miles on that.
    That trials Matchless in a thing of beauty, will it be at the Pre 65 in May though?

shandcycles
    Free Member

please tell me you don’t want an 853 handbuilt version……

brokensoul
    Free Member

I got one of those, must’ve been in the late 60’s. Mine was a blue one, IIRC.

fasthaggis

I may hang on to it to do the Bravo Scozia next year

I may have to push you on to a heather dropoff then 😉

Says the man trying to get a BSA 3 speeder shopper bike sorted out for that 🙂

h4muf
    Free Member

My Bickerton 😳

Lemans 2010 105 by h4muf, on Flickr

epicyclo

fasthaggis – Member
    Looks alright,you should have bought this one

iainc – Member
    i had one of those bikes 35 years ago !

So did I.

45 years ago… 🙂

bedmaker – I may have a use for its BB…

bedmaker

please tell me you don’t want an 853 handbuilt version……

No, but I do fancy something else, should be straightforward and easy to do…

Epicyclo, sorry, but I’ve become atached to it now. It’s my new favourite bike.

shandcycles
    Free Member

should be straightforward and easy to do…

yeah, I’ve heard that before…..

bedmaker

just nine tubes, how hard can it be 8)

epicyclo

bedmaker – Member
    Epicyclo, sorry, but I’ve become atached to it now. It’s my new favourite bike.

We could form a small wheels mtb club and slag off the niche trendies with their huge cumbersome 26″ wheels 🙂

TiRed

Well I did learn my off-road skills on a 20” Airnimal Rhino, before graduating to a rigid SS 29er. Then came the great purge (theft) of 2012 and have been without a small wheeled bike (and a 29er) since 🙁

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What on earth is wrong with me?’ is closed to new replies.