Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What on earth have I done to my back?
  • DT78
    Free Member

On the train this morning, talking to the chap next to me, turned away to cough. Huge amounts of pain, couldn’t speak, breathing really difficult. Been shuffling around all day, certain positions are fine, others really hurt and make my voice go funny. It seems to be in middle back under one of the shoulders.

Wife thinks it’s a trapped nerve, having never had one is that likely? Anything I can do to help sort it quick? I was hoping to get out on the bike first thing as it will be my only chance this weekend 🙁

wrecker
    Free Member

Sounds like a nerve. Might not be as bad (or long lasting) as a lower back problem. Rest.

chewkw
    Free Member

DT78 – Member

Wife thinks it’s a trapped nerve, having never had one is that likely? Anything I can do to help sort it quick?

Check it out asap but do not carry heavy things for the moment or you will make it worst if it is trapped nerve. Try not to sit for too long as it will flare up again. It will also affect make bodily functions without you knowing until it got worst.

andyl
    Free Member

Sounds like you may have torn where your back muscles attach. Sorry, don’t know the correct terms but have done it twice. Not when playing rugby or in the gym but when just twisting funny doing every day things.

jamiep
    Free Member

Take a course of ibuprofen, 2 at 4 times a day for 5 days. That will reduce the muscle swelling and hopefully take pressure of the nerve.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. Woke up this morning and it still hurts like buggery No ride for me for a while.

Going to see if I can get an emergency appointment with the osteo on Monday.

I do all these “extreme” sports and I injury myself coughing whilst sat on a train! Must be old age.

willber
    Free Member

i did something similar but in my upper back/shoulder girdle – i.e. trapped nerve, it was the worst pain i’ve ever felt, to the point where I had no choice but to go to A&E. (and im not one for going to hospital). The doc gave me Tramadol, Diazepam and Naproxen for a week. It was a powerful combo but worked a treat and it just went right on its own. The tramadol was for pain, the naproxen reduced inflammation and the diazepam helped relax the muscles in the shoulder area.

Be careful tho, i took this combo for 7 days and when i stopped (ran out) I felt terrible – really depressed and moody, but I guess thats the price you pay.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What on earth have I done to my back?’ is closed to new replies.