Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • What old piece of technology/software do you refuse to let go of!?
  • Drac

It works, and it’s cheap, and simple. and if one breaks? so what? It’s just got a couple of spreadsheets for one client, I can restore from the last PC that had the data. It’s almost foolproof.

Just like a USB memory stick then but shitter.

Cougar

We actually have a Windows 3.11 machine in my office running monthly reports form DataEase Express.

A colleague asked me to help with a machine the other day that turned out to be a 3.11 box. His actual question was, “what the f–k is this?!” – he’d never seen one before.

geoffj

Weather station wired up to a BBC B computer.

surfer
    Free Member

15 yr old petrol lawnmower that has now become a point of principle to maintain. (it was 2nd hand when I bought it so around 20+ yrs old)

Cougar

Weather station wired up to a BBC B computer.

You win, close the thread.

vinnyeh

Only thing that reliably runs GEM80 emulator.

😯

Dare I ask why you need one of those?

trout
    Free Member

This old lass

Kuco

20 year old Mission speakers, Denon DCD 560 cd player and Arcam Alpha amp. And all still going strong 😀

brassneck

His actual question was, “what the f–k is this?!” – he’d never seen one before.

It’s like a nesting box for malware/virii. They’ll be selling them in garden centers next.

MrOvershoot

vinnyeh – Member

Only thing that reliably runs GEM80 emulator.

Dare I ask why you need one of those?

Ask away 😉

Without it we can’t fault find the code in the GEM80 PLC (programmable logic controller) that controls almost every aspect of our flour mill!
    GEM80 was a popular PLC system in the 80’s & 90’s (other PLC’s are made by Allen Bradley, Omron, Siemens etc )

From Wiki
    “More recently, PLCs are programmed using application software on personal computers. The computer is connected to the PLC through Ethernet, RS-232, RS-485 or RS-422 cabling. The programming software allows entry and editing of the ladder-style logic. Generally the software provides functions for debugging and troubleshooting the PLC software, for example, by highlighting portions of the logic to show current status during operation or via simulation. The software will upload and download the PLC program, for backup and restoration purposes.

Example
    As an example, say a facility needs to store water in a tank. The water is drawn from the tank by another system, as needed, and our example system must manage the water level in the tank.

Using only digital signals, the PLC has two digital inputs from float switches (Low Level and High Level). When the water level is above the switch it closes a contact and passes a signal to an input. The PLC uses a digital output to open and close the inlet valve into the tank.

When the water level drops enough so that the Low Level float switch is off (down), the PLC will open the valve to let more water in. Once the water level rises enough so that the High Level switch is on (up), the PLC will shut the inlet to stop the water from overflowing. This rung is an example of seal-in (latching) logic. The output is sealed in until some condition breaks the circuit.”

Well you did dare to ask

singletrackhor
    Free Member

For me its Macromedia FreeHand MX.

Despite having the full CS4 suite to go at FreeHand is still my first choice of software for creating logos. Its just so simple and quick to use.

+1
    Same here, great app. Runs really quickly on a modernish puta as well.

I keep finding uneccessary uses for an old beige g3 desktop.

ourmaninthenorth

Though none of them actually very old, I only write (and I do a lot of writing as part of my job) with fountain pens.

As a celebration of the recent birth of my daughter, I am going to buy another, likely a vintage Duofold.

swamp_boy

Grand dad’s early 1900s oil can
    1964 Marlin .22
    1972 Husquvarna 77 Chainsaw
    1992 Raleigh Dyna tech -[upgraded over the years]
    1995 LR Defender
    1997 LR Discovery
    Main computer is 4 years old running XP, so is old in computer terms. Still run Cardfile from my old 3.1 machine, Autosketch6 from way back and MS Office 2000.

BTW nice lathe, Trout

epicyclo

Fuji GX680

Filthy
    Free Member

my nokia phone.. 5 years old and still works even though I cant read the buttons as the numbers have worn off.

dont even know what type it is as that has worn off too

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I don’t need them to hold massive amounts of data, just a few excel spreadsheets for each client. My staff can work on it, save changes, move it to a difference PC whatever.

It works, and it’s cheap, and simple. and if one breaks? so what? It’s just got a couple of spreadsheets for one client, I can restore from the last PC that had the data. It’s almost foolproof.

I hope your client spreadsheets don’t contain any confidential information 😯

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

A Pioneer amp & 8ohm Pioneer surround sound speakers provide the sound system for my xbox console, I also use a pair of pioneer headphones to keep noise down when necessary. All Pioneer items were brought by myself in 1984

andylaightscat
    Free Member

1994 Merlin XLM and a woodsmans’ axe Linn LP12

cranberry
    Free Member

My granddad’s Record engineers vice.

It’s probably from the 1940s, possibly the 1930s. After standing for 20 years unused in a damp stable it needed a bit of grease.

epicyclo

Ooh, that reminds me.

I use a vice that I bought from a bike shop that was closing down 40 years ago. It was original equipment for the shop which opened in 1890 something. I also got a spoke threader from them too.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve got an adjustable wrench/spanner that I inherited from my Granddad.

It’s a Billings and Spencer. A quick Google reveals they stopped production in the early Sixties.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

the wheel

Andy

1996 Mitsubishi TV in the living room, along with a 1990 Parker Knoll Recliner (my pride!).

enfht
    Free Member

my penis

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have an amstrad PCW stored in the attic – full working condition with manual, printer na so on. Offers? I am awaiting it being an antique

Anyone use a computer that is older than mine in daily use? Must be more than ten years old. Was running win 98 when I got it but now running 2000.

ivantate
    Free Member

Thought I had everything as new as possible then remembered a 1972 mini in the garage.

Travis

My Cannon A1 Camera, still can’t think about changing it for a DSLR.
    Only use a 50mm lens and BW film.

crazy-legs

Clearing out my grandfathers house after he died, we found loads of old radios. He’d been a radio operator in the Navy during the war and even in his slightly mad old age he could still hold fluent conversations in Morse code. In the little box room and in the shed must have been about 30 radios from 1940’s through to 1990’s, huge reel to reel tape decks and a Betamax video recorder which was about twice the size of an average microwave and considerably heavier.

Most of it still worked! 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

These cards….

http://www.samuri.co.uk/crap/working/working-models.html
    There’s a fairly cool animated gif linked at the bottom.

sweepy
    Free Member

As filthy, im still using an old nokia phone. I can bounce it off the walls and like Marge’s butt, it just wont quit.

Admiralable
    Free Member

An original PS1 and a Mega drive. I even have a commodore 64 GS (games system) at home too 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Anyone use a computer that is older than mine in daily use? Must be more than ten years old. Was running win 98 when I got it but now running 2000.

Oh yes, a 17 year old pc running Windows 3.1, I use it for the skills testing software I bought back then, It was used last week.

nickc

Couple of the PC’s in the office run off Win 95 I think…

donsimon
    Free Member

Augmented reality, just soooooooooooooooo last year!

Actually saw it for the first time last week and was well impressed.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Y7kPerANM[/video]

Northwind

My little Emco lathe/mill is about as old as my dad, but it’s ideal for my limited purposes and shows no signs of wearing out… Looked around and it looks like some newer lathes could be better but there’s nothing as, well, lovable 😆 It’s like a little toy that just happens to cut metal.

Also got a very nice Thor 2-faced hammer which is absolutely black with age, I can’t date it exactly but my grandad stole it from the RAF after the war (along with about a thousand other tools, every one of which is now broken or lost other than the hammer) You can still buy the exact same hammer today, which I like. Hammer technology has not moved on!

loddrik
    Free Member

The pen and paper, I’d much rather write stuff down than type it into a bloody computer.

iDave
    Free Member

I normally don’t like to keep old crap, but I’d be quite upset if I lost my flux capacitor

Cougar

Presumably because you wouldn’t be able to go back and get it?

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘What old piece of technology/software do you refuse to let go of!?’ is closed to new replies.