• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What oil for oak kitchen table?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Our oak table is beginning to shown signs of wear and tear especially where the kids have been sitting – has anyone got a recommendation for what type of oil should be used?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Teak or tung oil is the old favourite but I used Osmo oil on my new oak worktops which is easier to use and looks a lot nicer and works better.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Osmo here as well, just multiple coats by just wiping on. Stands up well on a centre island and kitchen table.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Fully synthetic 5/40w.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Been using Junckers Rustic Oil on our wooden worktops as recommended by my mate/kitchen fitter/chippy builder chap

BigJohn

Rustins Danish Oil on all our oak worktops. Even on the coffee worktop (Gaggia Classic & 2 grinders plus water filter, so quite wet and covered in coffee grounds at times) it keeps looking OK. Mrs BigJohn rolls out pastry on the island and it doesn’t taint the food.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Thing is, Danish oil is a bit old fashioned now, yes it works but it does change the colour of the worktops a fair bit and it stinks when applying it and for a while afterwards. Osmo top oil is brilliant, it’s crazy easy to apply, can be bought in a Matt finish which we preferred, and is cheaper as well. I’ve got a pretty much full 5l tin of Rustins which I used on our first batch of worktops which had to be sent back and the osmo oil beats it in every way.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You need to establish what finish is on. If it’s lacquers, you’ll get a patchy finish if you apply oil to the worn areas.

midlifecrashes

Just clean and fix your bike on it and some Finish Line is bound to drip onto it when you lube up.

slowoldman

Fully synthetic 5/40w.

Unless you’re vegetarian, in which case Castrol R.

fisha
    Free Member

Osmo poly satin

I won’t use anything else for worktops. I’ve tried the Danish oil route and won’t go back to it. Osmo is leaps and bounds easier to apply and a significantly better lasting finish

CountZero

Get a bottle of walnut oil, natural material, non-toxic and doesn’t really colour the wood, just darkens it naturally, plus you can use it when cooking.

Albanach
    Free Member

Thanks for everyone’s help

IHN

Just to add, probably too late, beeswax.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What oil for oak kitchen table?’ is closed to new replies.