Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • HELP: What off the peg software to transfer this site to …
  • redthunder
    Free Member

http://www.scli.co.uk/index.php

Joomla, Drupal, DokuWiki, WordPress…. ?

I orginally created it… then the user who managed it went on to create 10,000 pages. 🙁 No back in my hands.

Just want to make life easier for myself.

Thoughts STW.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can't you just copy it whole over FTP and upload it to another host as-is ? I've only looked at a few pages but it seems to be mostly static HTML, not php

clubber
    Free Member

I think he's looking for an easier way to maintain rather than to transfer it.

khegs
    Free Member

Drupal/joomla are good.

I wouldn't like to have to tranfer all that stuff into a CMS though, how are your Perl skills?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think he's looking for an easier way to maintain rather than to transfer it.

I realise that, but if it has 10,000 pages of static HTML then that's no easy task. Somehow you have to abstract the structure as-is, and then it might be possible to model it and suck the data into a database…

Karl33to
    Free Member

AFAIK there isn't anything that will do this for you!

The way I would do it is to setup the wordpress (or whatever you decided to use) alongside the html site, and write a php script that recursively loops through all the html files on the site, performs a regex on them to strip out the html content, and then inserts that html into the database, figures out what the new filename would be based on the database insert, it then adds a line into a htaccess file in order to 301 redirect the old page to the new one.

A quick check shows that Google has 600 odd pages indexed!
    Good luck!

Karl33to
    Free Member

Forgot to add, it would also be good to store all the new and old links, so that once it's all setup you can go through the newly imported data and re-write the links in the content to point to the new pages.
    This way it saves relying on the 301 redirects for ever.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

.. and doesn't that sound like a barrel of laffs ?

khegs
    Free Member

I'd use Perl with regexs and one of the spidering modules in cpan to do something similar, but offline on a dev site to make sure everything ended up where it should.

TBH though, anything you try and do programatically is going to be pretty hairy, and dependant on how well structured the HTML is.

Given the choice I'd run away and hide, or charge danger money.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Jesus what a nightmare!

DickBarton

Joomla…but only because I'm getting to grips with it again. 10,000 static pages…get with Perl and write a script to do the basics OR get a fortnight blocked out to do nothing and transfer the data across manually and copy and paste the page from static to a new entry on the site's CMS.

Total ball-ache but it can be done systematically but it is risky…best doing it on an offline site to make sure it is working.

redthunder
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

This job is going to be a bag of sick 🙁

geoffj

Do you need to migrate the content. If it were me, I'd FTP it onto a new host as is and then use wordpress for new content and links to sections of the old site as required.

What value will there be in transfering the existing content?

redthunder
    Free Member

It's need to look nicer and have the ability to be edited by anyone (approved) might use Dokuwiki or Media Wiki might be the answer.

Still loads of work.

geoffj

It's need to look nicer Why?
    have the ability to be edited by anyone When a page needs to be edited, copy and paste from the old site into the CMS and work from there.

How much editing will actually be done?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘HELP: What off the peg software to transfer this site to …’ is closed to new replies.