Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What nut?
  • rocket
    Free Member

Eating a lot of cashews at the mo. Looking to mix things up with an alternative. Any recommendations? Must be plain – no salt, dry-roasted or honey glaze etc as this will be a general day-to-day nut – I save the fancy stuff for the weekends. Thanks

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

roasted walnuts

or brazils and macadamia for treats

welshfarmer

Ah, another nut, nut. I can’t get enough cashews at the mo. Keep the alternatives coming (not that I will be giving up my Cashews for a while)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Home toasted almonds is great too. Eat them while they are still steaming and feel your belly heat from the inside!

chambord
    Free Member

almonds, definitely almonds

bearnecessities

Thought about roasting some sesame seeds at home? Very tasty (and takes about 2 minutes to do a weeks batch)

A little salt if you fancy a treat, but far from necessary.

slowoldman

Pecan.

CountZero

Hazel, Walnut, Almond, Brazil; my particular favourites.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Surely pistachio deserves a mention if only for its self regulating pace?
    #eatnutsresponsibly

yunki
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LlQNty_C8s[/video]

MoreCashThanDash

Walnut, pecan, pistachio……

Cougar

They’re expensive and lardy and more of an ingredient than a snack, but I could eat toasted pine nuts until I no longer fitted through doors.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Almonds…preferably smoked……

Rubber_Buccaneer

Pistachio for sure. Not brazils they are horrible greasy things.

stumpy01

Plain old monkey nuts. Taste nice, no unhealthy coating, cheap and the shell slows you down a bit.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

No help to your choice whatsoever, but very few of these are actually nuts.
    Linky – this one’s ok for work, but the rest of the site might not be.

Oh, and: Walnuts

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Beware pumkin seeds. They are dangerously addictive.

alexpalacefan

Macadamia.
    APF

alexpalacefan

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGmNqzbsuiY[/video]

rocket
    Free Member

Some good recommendations here – thanks folks. But seeds? Really? In a nut thread? Jeez, you guys… And twicewithchips – lets not even go there. Think my head might explode.

Pistachio – Tracker, I’m with you on the self-regulating nature of this fine nut, but for me thats a negative. Think of your fingernails.
    Hazelnut – nope, bland and too dry. I consider this a ‘filler’ nut. Given up buying mixed nuts as they tend to be a bag of hazelnuts with few token almonds thrown in.
    Brazil – now we’re talking. These are definitely on the list. Best coated in yoghurt flavouring but also works well plain. However, a bad brazil is a real turn off. My other half claims there is no such thing as ‘off’ brazils but I maintain its a common experience.
    Pecan – Good, but needs maple syrup in the vicinity to work AFAIC
    Almond – Think this might be the one actually. Tasty. Think this will be my next bag.

As an aside, anyone still crack their own nuts these days? Tried it the other day – OK, you get a fresher nut experience, but blimey, what a faff.

Cougar

I await the follow-up “what niche artisan single-speed double-edged wood-burning nutcracker” thread with anticipation. It really makes your nuts come alive! Er, erm.

corroded
    Free Member

You’re right about brazils – seem to be more susceptible to going off than other nuts. Check the best before date.
    I know you’re after a day-to-day nut but my top three list would have to include smoked almonds (too fancy?) and macadamias (think of the food miles!). I’d find it really difficult to make a call for the third place.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What nut?’ is closed to new replies.