Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What non-saddlebag tool caddy?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Not a saddlebag
    Easily transferrable between bikes
    Not sure if I want it to hold a tube or not. Probably consider both yes and no.
    Hold a tiny pump or CO2, a multi tool, tyre plugs if not a tube. I suppose a phone is too much to ask.
    Bottle cage mounted not ideal due to point 2.

matt_outandabout

ontor
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

I meant something you don’t have to wear….

andyl
    Free Member

large water bottle (800ml+) with a nice wide opening. Stuff everything inside?

or buy a fake bottle tool holder jobby.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Something like these?

ta11pau1

molgrips – Member
    Not a saddlebag
    Easily transferrable between bikes
    Not sure if I want it to hold a tube or not. Probably consider both yes and no.
    Hold a tiny pump or CO2, a multi tool, tyre plugs if not a tube. I suppose a phone is too much to ask.
    Bottle cage mounted not ideal due to point 2.

Tube taped to toptube with a couple of tyre levers and a CO2 canister, tape one to the other bike too. Pump on bottle cage mount 9buy a spare mount), multi-tool in pocket (or a oneup components steerer thing), tyre plugs in one of them bar end things (Sahmurai S.W.O.R.D ), Phone in pocket.

Oh and a spare chain link taped to your cables like the enduro racers do.

Here’s some ideas

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t want stuff in my pockets, I wondered if there was a thing I could clip to the bike other than under the saddle. That doesn’t seem to exist except for the tool bottle job which would work except one bike I’d be riding only has one bottle cage mount.

Might just have to get a better saddle bag.

scotroutes

Revelate Jerry Can

Revelate Designs Jerrycan

Mine holds tube, levers, multi-tool, spare links, tyre boot and a couple of odds and ends.

In action; [url=https://flic.kr/p/Sqj7no]P1030904[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

It’s just two strips of Velcro holding it on.

The only issue you might have is if the horizontal strap ends up being against a dropper post.

Alpha1653
    zippykona

Zippomatic 3000? Costs less than £10 to make and all the bits you need are in Tesco.

molgrips
    Free Member

Scotroutes one looks good.. but I’d rather have it under the tube, which is basically a mini frame bag. Obvious really.

cookeaa

I found this worked quite well:

Just strapping a saddle bag to a bottle cage/downtube instead of seat raiks/post, and taped an inner tube by the TT/ST junction…

Pridds

Wolf tooth B Rad?
    Got them on 2 bikes and its 2 bolts to swap them from bike to bike. Got a Oneup EDC so the b rad has a co2 cartridge and tube in it.

scotroutes

molgrips – Member
    Scotroutes one looks good.. but I’d rather have it under the tube, which is basically a mini frame bag. Obvious really.

There are lots of wee framebags around for not much money. The German sites often have a better range. I have a Lomo framebag but it’s likely bigger than you’re looking for.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Topeak Fuel Tank is available in a couple of sizes, maybe one of those would do it all? (Handy place to reach). I’m right now looking for similar solution and that one stood out.

MSP

Your looking at this all wrong, you have found the ideal excuse to buy some sparking new carbon frames with swat hatches.

phil5556

Have a look at Wee Cog. She’ll make you a custom bag to your measurements.

No experience of them, I use a Race Face stash wrap.

mattbee

Dakine Hotlaps Gripper is what I’ve got. Holds a 29” tube, 2 co2 carts & inflater, tyre levers, multitool, quick link & a set of brake pads.
    I put it just below bottle cage.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Monkii v roll clips onto bottle holder mounts have a look on cycle miles think they are about £25

burko73

I’ve got a bottle thing that’s great but if using two bottles I have an alpkit top tube bag that mounts on top of the top tube at the stem end. Great for energy bars, tools, keys etc.

TiRed

I know you said no saddlepack, but if you run fizik saddles their integrated clip is excellent. Seconds to swap between bikes.

compass81

Fabric Tool Keg?

Cageless Tool Keg

molgrips
    Free Member

Problem with the bottle cage ones is that one bike only has one cage mount so that would mean no water. Also, the frame bag would not work on the FS.

The Dakine thing is interesting but don’t seem to be available.

Saddlebag might be the only sensible option.. is there one that can take a phone, protect it and still be compact? I don’t mind a small one.

cheers_drive

The Piggy is an option if you still want 2 bottles.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah that looks good.

I’m looking for something for short local rides. So I could probably do without the pump and tube as I’d not be far from home. However I do need my phone… I’ve never managed to carry it on me except in a roady jersey and whilst I could just wear those I’d prefer an on-bike solution as I have lots of nice multi-sport gear I’d rather wear on the MTB that doesn’t have back pockets.

Pridds

B rad 3 you can mount a bottle above the strap

burko73

what phone you got?

I use a life proof case on my iPhone 6 with a handlebar mount. its not fallen off in 3 yrs.

Lifeproof mount thing…

I guess the sticky thing would mount to anything. It hasn’t come off the back of my life proof case.

phil5556

mattbee – Member
    Dakine Hotlaps Gripper is what I’ve got. Holds a 29” tube, 2 co2 carts & inflater, tyre levers, multitool, quick link & a set of brake pads.
    I put it just below bottle cage.

I was trying to find these last night, can’t find stock though apart from Epic Bike?

Good that it’ll fit a 29 tube, I’ll need to get a 27 tube in. Looks like it might be a bit better than the RaceFace option.

mattbee

Got mine from Stif a few weeks ago but they appear to be out of them now.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

The Dakine Hotlaps Gripper is the closest thing I’ve seen to what I’ve been looking for, however, ideally I was looknig for something that enclosed everything in some kind of raincover like the piggy thing (but cheaper). Also not sure if it will be big enough to hold a small multi-tool, tyre levers and a 650B tube?.

This is the only UK stockist I’ve found for the Dakine one, only blue in stock at the moment:
    https://www.theridersguild.com/hot-laps-gripper-45784-p.asp

molgrips
    Free Member

Really don’t want my phone on the bars. Barely enough room for GPS and lights as it is. Samsung S6 currently.

The wolf tooth thing looks intriguing…

mattbee

Pottersmtber, see my earlier post. It will easily carry that.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

Pottersmtber, see my earlier post. It will easily carry that.

Yeh thanks, forgot to check your original post. I assume it’s completely stable and never come loose?.

mattbee

I’ve only used it 4 or 5 times but it’s not budged at all. The rubber backing on it seems to hold it in place nicely.
    The only issue I have is that the side elasticated ‘pockets’ are open at the bottom but they seem to hold stuff in snugly so far.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Your looking at this all wrong, you have found the ideal excuse to buy some sparking new carbon frames with swat hatches.

Am glad that you said ‘hatches’ (ie plural) – Because one Dime bar won’t surely see you through the day 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What non-saddlebag tool caddy?’ is closed to new replies.