Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What non-clicky cartridge bearing rear hub?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of a new (MTB) rear wheel and looking at hubs after years with Shimano

Put off Hope by the racket and cheesy freehub body

Not interested in anything weird/proprietary it has to be seriously fit-and-forget. And quiet. Doesn’t have to be superlight

Dt350 maybe? Ta

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Halo Supa Drive?
    Cheaper and quieter than a Hope and just as infinitely rebuildable.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hate Hopes because of the noise. I went for the DT 350. For me it’s very quiet, at least in relation to everyone else’s bikes that are buzzing away madly.

I wanted something to suit my stealth bike build and to replace the old wheels which had deadly silent Formula hubs. The DT are well regarded and supposedly reliable. Not cheap though.

Freehub however is ali unfortunately and my cassette is a steel spider. I didn’t want to chuck it as it’s still got loads of life, but may swap to an ali spider cassette later, or seek out a steel freehub replacement. They’re supposedly fairly tough though, and they seem no where near as swiss cheese as my Crank Bothers freehub on the bouncy bike.

ratherbeintobago

Recent Hopes are a lot less clicky than older ones.

rocketman
    Free Member

Is there a way to silence them?

If I could make it quiet I could get a steel freehub body

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have put a load of ‘Finish Line Teflon Grease’ in one of my Hope Pro 2’s and its dead silent.

I have another with thicker green stuff that the LBS use and though its quieter, I recommend the Finish Line stuff.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Recent Hopes are a lot less clicky than older ones.

Methinks you need a hearing check! 😉

spacehopper

DT Swiss 350 / 240..

I hate loud hubs, and DT are on a par with shimano once you apply a little smear of grease to the ratchets..

It will get louder over time though..

but, Its dead easy just to pull the cassette and freewheel off with your fingers.. (no tools required!)

give everything a quick clean and apply a new smear of grease and it’ll go back to being quiet again..

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this, even when loud it’s a mucher nicer click than Hope IMO!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Recent Hope hubs use pawl springs half the size of the older ones to reduce noise and drag.

Daffy

Chris King?

whitestone
    Free Member

The only downside of the Hope click is that your mates know you are freewheeling when they are pedalling like mad 😛

brassneck

DT Swiss 350 / 240..

I hate loud hubs, and DT are on a par with shimano once you apply a little smear of grease to the ratchets..

My 240 is as loud as you like. You may have just pin pointed the reason 🙂

nedrapier

A2Z rears are as quiet as Shimano.

Speshpaul

If you can hear your rear hub…. you ain’t going fast enough 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What non-clicky cartridge bearing rear hub?’ is closed to new replies.