Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • What (non 4×4) car for rough roads?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

If these roads are as chronic as you guys are making out perhaps you should be considering something with leaf springs? Maybe a double cab pickup with a truckman top?

andyl
    Free Member

XC90

very heavy on suspension arms and tyres. Prepare for deep pockets.

I would go with a Subaru, mitsubishi (ASX, outlander etc) or a Suzuki (grand vitara). They are built tough and models like the Forester are raised up slightly.

Only other thing I would consider would be a land rover if you are prepared for the land rover “experience” (some people are, some people aren’t), a merc as they are generally built like tanks or something like a Korean SUV (Kia Sportage etc as they do 2wd versions that will be easier on the pocket).

trail_rat
    Free Member

why would you want cart sprung dirt technic (leaf springs) for rough roads.

cart springs are only good for carrying loads.

they are absolutely HORRENDOUS to drive.

make me sea sick when they are unloaded.

andyl
    Free Member

Leaf springs just make think

“Suspension? What suspension?”

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Citroen Xantia HDi.

bumps? what bumps?

matt_outandabout

If these roads are as chronic as you guys are making out perhaps you should be considering something with leaf springs? Maybe a double cab pickup with a truckman top?

Most of the South Loch Tay populus drive 110’s or 130’s with truckman – or a tractor. Even the school bus is a 110. 😆

When we first moved there, a section of road was so rough everyone used the grass verge to save the bottom of your car from being smacked off the road.

Even now in ‘done up’ mode, it has cracks, potholes and edges formed of 3″ stones piled into the drainage ditches, as so many tourists tried to pass without passing place and slid into ditches.

Drive 8 miles of it each morning and back each afternoon, and often twice for work as well in the day, for 6 years, and you get good at knowing each smooth section, each rough section and every pothole, and when the council (won’t) come and de-ice or repair….

jimjam
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

why would you want cart sprung dirt technic (leaf springs) for rough roads.

cart springs are only good for carrying loads.

they are absolutely HORRENDOUS to drive.

Because they extremely durable, cheap and a piece of piss to maintain/replace. I replaced the shocks, shackles, bushings on my Hilux and had a couple of broken leafs replaced by a local company which was the only thing I couldn’t do myself. It was so cheap I was embarrassed. £15 or £18 iirc.

As for making you sea sick while driving, well I guess you must be a sensitive flower 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

[XC90] very heavy on suspension arms and tyres. Prepare for deep pockets.

This. I found that struts also died and droplinks went regularly (This is over a 12 year period with the same car though)

brassneck

XC90 off the list then. Leaving more or less Discovery as the car in a bus disguise option. Bet that’s equally economical.

Mitsubushi would be up there, but they are rare beasts. I don’t do new, partially because I’m too mean, but also because I can guarantee I’d get a deer through the front driving it home from the dealer.

Suzuki better than the CRV? Not really looked at them, that’s another option ta. Seem to come in quite cheap too.

Saving Subaru for myself 🙂 and old Legacy might make a good 2nd car now the boys are bigger, the 206 won’t cut it for much longer.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Bet that’s equally economical.

Worse …. by a good margin.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I barely feel the potholes in my knackered old mk4 golf estate.

Get a bit sea sick though…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I had a similar requirement recently and bought a petrol Mazda CX-7. Mine was a bit more expensive but there are a couple of autotrader in budget with higher mileages.

Quick for an SUV (sub 8s 0-60 due to the 260bhp engine), handles like a GTi car, great spec level and very comfortable. Only downside is it’s not exactly efficient on fuel though. Not done any real off-roading (and don’t expect to) but it’s been used on loads of rough country roads without any problems and was useful in the recent flooding in Aberdeen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As for making you sea sick while driving, well I guess you must be a sensitive flower

Hardly my landy is hardly luxuary driving but its still better than those faux by fauxs hilux that bob their way down the road because it has coil springs…..

i must admit the hilux’s i drove past on the sauchen road last week did look quite cute taking a bath in the water – apparently they dont like water them hiluxes…..

jimjam
    Free Member

trail_rat landy fanboy

i must admit the hilux’s i drove past on the sauchen road last week did look quite cute taking a bath in the water – apparently they dont like water them hiluxes…..

Oh you’re one of those guys 😳

Anyway yeah, I agree. Hilux’s are absolutely crap off road. Crap. That’s why that bastion of rugged reliability, the landrover is the worlds number one improvised fighting vehicle, and famed all over the developing world for it’s bulletproof durability meaning export values are through the roof, even on non runners. Hilux’s on the other hand are sought after by stockbrokers and the like for posing about London so they are.

What’s that phrase they use in outback….if you want to go into the bush, take a landrover. They must love landrovers there too 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

All the cliches in the world.Your still running cart springs.

I believe the term for the outback is land cruiser. Completely different car . Doesnt have cart springs for a Start.

Love when i get to take the country managers land cruiser ( doesnt happen often) it doesnt make you sea sick.

The op wants something decent on road. It aint a land rover and it sure as hell isnt a hilux.

Forrester would be top of my list tbh.

Must dash. Got to sell some stocks.

jimjam
    Free Member

trail_rat

I believe the term for the outback is land cruiser. Completely different car . Doesnt have cart springs for a Start.

This is a j70 landcruiser. This is what people in Africa, Australia and other territories where it’s sold refer to as a landcruiser.

It does have leaf springs, and over the years has shared a lot mechanically with the Hilux. Just to edumacate you there.

Forrester would be top of my list tbh.

It would be near the top of my list too, maybe just behind an outback. So, back on topic yes?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘What (non 4×4) car for rough roads?’ is closed to new replies.