Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What no TALAS?
  • Fat-boy-fat

I’m being tempted by the lovely shiny new Santa Cruz wheels but, as they’re boost only, they’d need a change of forks.

I’ve been using TALAS for is for years and love the ability to wind out the travel for downhill but, I can’t seem to find them in the Fox 2018 line up.

Have they stopped making them???? If so, I’m gutted. Changing my current forks would be a whole heap of hassle (new uppers and lowers) and expensive. I can’t even find a set of sale forks anywhere.

Is it true? Have fox let me down?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Didn’t they drop it in favour of CTD years ago?

Fat-boy-fat

They still did TALAS forks last year. That’s why I’m confused. Haven’t read anything about them being dropped.

nickdavies

Discontinued for 2018.
    Is it as much of an issue these days? Modern forks and suspension frames are so good I wouldn’t have another travel adjust fork personally.

mcnultycop

Talas just annoyed me; I’d forget to put the travel back to normal at the top of a climb and ruin a descent.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve been using TALAS for is for years and love the ability to wind out the travel for downhill but, I can’t seem to find them in the Fox 2018 line up.

With most modern bikes all that lowering the forks for climbing does is make the seat angle too steep and the bottom bracket low enough to constantly get pedal strikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like having adjustable forks but mainly because it allows me to tweak the whole bike geometry. I don’t adjust it whilst riding though.

I liked the Pace pop-down thing though. Coming up to something technical and steep you could push the button and have it go down to 100mm from 130mm. When you’re done just bounce the front wheel and it popped back out again.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Depending on max travel you after, you might be able to find a set of forks that’s come off a Scott bike as they do travel adjust forks, (they even with remote lever!)

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

And Rockshox do Dual Position Air (forgot to say)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I though I would miss travel adjust on my modern 2012 bike, it was never needed. As said try it without it may surprise you

Northwind

As soon as uturn went away it all turned to bullshit- it was the only true travel adjust system left but apparently turning a dial was too hard so they replaced it with dual position which worked less well but wasn’t so exhausting. TALAS used to be shit, it seems like they were waiting til it actually worked quite well so they could bin it.

I mean yes it is better that most bikes don;t need it now but choice is still good- a 100-130mm uturn in a Soul is as brilliant an option today as it was in 2009, it’s not just about climbing mode

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I always found my bike climbed better in the 140 setting than 100mm –

igm

I use the 120 setting on my old 36s for the bike rack and hanging in the garage – otherwise the bike doesn’t fit.

But for riding, 160 all the way.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have had a couple of bikes that only really worked (for me) with U-turn or TALAS. One of them has had five fixed travel forks and gone full-circle back to TALAS. I guess it’s fairly traditional geometry but it fails epically in all departments for the sake of 30mm travel and that TALAS dial gets used more than the shifter.

The other one is rideable but in long-travel mode it feels like something Orange County Choppers have made

Fat-boy-fat

Well, Mojo have come back to say TALAS is no more. I use a 130-160 fork on a 5010, so it isn’t so much wind down for climbing as wind out for steep descents. To change to boost would cost the thick end of £800. I’ll maybe just stick to alloy wheels.

chiefgrooveguru

You know the 5010 is only warrantied to a 150mm fork at max?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be less bother to swap the hub in the new wheels?

vincienup
    Free Member

I think the options are hub swaps, SH/oldstock forks or giving up on Talas…

loughor
    Free Member

I’m with Northwind. U-turn Revs still working for me. Best fork I’ve ever used. DP and the Fox thing was never the same

gaidong
    Free Member

@Fat-boy-fat,

it isn’t so much wind down for climbing as wind out for steep descents.

Does this work well for you? Have you used the TALAS in this way for some time? I ask as I’m eyeing up Pike 110-140s for my Kingdom Vendetta X2 build, where I mainly want to keep it traily in 110 mm mode, with the option of hooning at 140 mm, or swapping 650b+ wheels in. It is so hard to find info on travel adjust forks!

Cheers,
    Gaidong

Fat-boy-fat

Hey Giadong. Yup, it works for me and has done for years on a few bikes. Then again, I’m not particularly hard on bikes. As for the max travel that bikes are rated for … who would know? I’m sure everyone has put bigger forks on a bike than they are “allowed” to.

gaidong
    Free Member

Thanks FBF. The X2 is rated for the maximum travel so that’s not a problem. I’m just wondering how these forks work when you leave them mainly on the reduced travel setting and only open them up for occasional giggles, as you seem to.

rocketman
    Free Member

it isn’t so much wind down for climbing as wind out for steep descents

[quote]Does this work well[/quote]Absolutely. I use it like this all the time. The bike is at its best in short travel mode but the extra 30mm tips it right back on the descents.

I think TALAS forks are at their best in short travel mode the two I’ve had have felt a bit twangy fully extended whereas the U-turns have felt more like long travel forks that can be lowered if necessary

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What no TALAS?’ is closed to new replies.