Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • What niggling injuries are you carrying…
  • Northwind

The bolts in my hip sometimes rub the inside of the leg up wrong, nothing to be done about it other than getting the bolts removed and that’s quite a big job so I’m just dealing with it for now. Might need further attention at some point.

Trekster

left foot. big toe damaged when I dropped a Triumph 2000 flywheel on it.
    Tendon u/s on top of foot meaning I sometimes drag my foot. Notiecable when I tripped over foot when I played squash 😳
    left knee is starting to play up this winter.
    Right knee been aching since I was a teenager, nothing shows on xray.
    Lower back/hips. Just knackered, worn out due to old age really. Probably caused by working on farm when I was around 10 till 18 then lifting car engines & gearboxes when I started work.
    Neck area can cause me some grief, had a few car crashes inc 2 x inversions and a straight-on into an Oak tree whilst wearing full harness belts and full face helmet. 70 – 0 in 0secs 😳
    Left trapezoidal is sore due to badminton incident.
    Broken collar bone x 2 can ache esp on long rides and when driving due to pressure on bone knot.
    Broke left hand last year and struggling to get full use of 2 fingers.
    Been biking for 30 odd yrs(adult yrs)
    Played squash for 25 + a bit of running for “training” purposes.
    Played badminton for a bit
    Did a fair bit of swimming
    Worked all day and nights on cars inc rally/race cars until late 20s.
    Heavy manual job

big_scot_nanny – Member
    It would be interesting to attach ages to this lot, as I feel that at 36

iainc

trekster – that’s pretty impressive 😆

this thread is definately helping me MTFU !!

big_scot_nanny

iainc – Member

trekster – that’s pretty impressive

this thread is definately helping me MTFU !!

indeed! Blimey, amazing what people are putting up with. 😯

If we assume that there is a standard age cohort here at STW, for arguments sake say 30-45 (I know there are a large number on either side of that, but I figure the distribution is heavily weighted to those numbers), is this worth a study and follow up?

To STW mag and mr. torq fitness man – 2 suggestions:
    1) Article on dealing with the chronic niggly injuries
    2) Some kind of long term follow up/population study to see the long term impact/benefits of mtb-ing (i.e. heart/organs i great shape (ton – hope the reboot goes well), but joints/bones a bit screwed would be my hypothesis)

Unless both have already been done, then point me at it. 🙂

Cheers all!

Kev

yunki
    Free Member

The ball joint on my hip is held on with a bolt on one side and I have a plate holding the bone together at the top of my femur.. (from an injury 18 years ago)
    Where they did the operation the muscle is kind of split slightly.. and that leg is a wee bit shorter..

From this I get back trouble.. localised muscle pain.. weather related pains.. sore knees and ankles etc.

The most annoying part of it is that I twisted the knee on that side during the snow and ice this past winter pushing a neighbours car out..

Been riding 30+ off road miles twice per week for my sanity.. but I haven’t really had a chance to properly rest the knee due to moving house and caring for a boistrous toddler.. so it’s pretty weak and very tweaky at the moment..

hope it’s not too permanent.. 😐

sefton
    Free Member

out of interest, how do the symptoms manifest themselves and what do you do, stretching/strengthening for this ? …I might get some tips for my knackered knees

started as a dull ache under my kneecap/tendon. then ran a fell race – since then I’ve had swelling, inflamed tendon, tenderness after exercise. for the first few months I had shooting pains walking up stairs.

rehab – strengthening exercising, dips on a slant board, sing leg squats, lunges loads of stretching everyday (no fell running)

I’m due to see a bio-mechanic soon to fit some orthotics for me. As its apparently my left foot prorates more than the right (which when new shoes, leap in activity etc can trigger a problem)

biking doesn’t seem to effect it though…and tbh it feels better after a good ride.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Permanently separated L shoulder collected in 2002. I wake up sometimes and my collar bone has hooked over the top of my shoulder blade. Dosn’t hurt and the Doc says he can operate and stabilise it when qoute “I grow up and stop doing stupid things on my bike!” 😆

Also have totally blown ligaments in my R knee and it dislocates if I bend my knee with my foot turned. I especially notice this going up stairwells as you do that exact action on landings and I have caused a few raised eyebrows in the past as I suddenly hop out of the action to try and stop it going. Or if it does go, the vomit inducing ‘clunk’ as I pop it back in by straightening my leg 😯

iainc

cheers sefton, sounds very familiar. I have orthortics that were done after bimechanical assessment 4 or 5 yrs ago and redone after I had a toe fusion a yr ago – they definately help with the knee pain. I don’t wear them on the bike, but do always use Spesh shoes as they have a built in varus wedge, which along with the blue footbeds replicate the orthotics reasonably well.

rehab stuff sounds like my thrice weekly regime of – wobble board, lunges, squats against swiss ball on wall etc, reverse step ups.

Like you, biking seems to help, along with swimming (front crawl but minimal kicking (Shaw Method))

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What niggling injuries are you carrying…’ is closed to new replies.