• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bedds.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What next bike/(or BMX) for a 5/6yr+
  • hora
    Free Member

I was all set on ordering the Commencal Ramones 20 from Commencal for my 5yr old until….I hit the postage page – 67euros. I’m not paying that much 😯

Any recommendations? He was already outgrowing his Islabikes middleclass Cnoc16.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was tempted to say leave him on that bike for a minimum of two years yet ….like father like son However i guess we have the size v change itch going on here 😉
    I had a KONA and a RIDGEBACK for my kids and got [ pretty much] my money back for them without Isla levels of outlay.
    Dont spend much as the 24 ” have 3 x gears and you can get proper suspension for them as well so its a proper MTB

kayla1
    Free Member

Maybe an 18″ BMX if it has to be a BMX, otherwise hold on a year and go for a small frame 24″ MTB if you can, I reckon.

I got my 7 year old niece a 20″ Mongoose at her insistence and it’s far too big for her at the minute 🙁 A proper mini or junior 20″ race BMX with smaller bars and shorter cranks would’ve been the thing to go for but they hold their value pretty well.

I’ve got her a 24″ Hotrock now that should actually fit her better than the BMX and I’ll be setting it up as 1x to keep it relatively simple to get her started ok.

yossarian
    Free Member

Frog bikes are quite nice

Mafia bikes are good for cheapish BMXs

razorrazoo

Frog 52/55 have 20inch wheels and are a bit cheaper than an Isla – my 6 year old is on a 52 and loves it.

You may end up running the 16 inch wheel on the back though 😉 😈

andysredmini
    Free Member

I nearly bought the same Commencal until I saw the postage cost. I ended up getting my 4 year old daughter a Isla Beinn 20 large. The price is stupid for a kids bike but the resale makes it worthwhile long term and she uses it every day. Apart from rubbish bearings in the hubs and headset they are nice bikes. We looked at the frogs but they didn’t seem to have the quality (bearings aside) of the isla’s and resale on ones I followed on eBay is pretty poor comparatively.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’re going through the same Hora. Seems mini-DBW #1 is quite a hit at the local road circuit even on his CNOC14 which is waaay too small for him.

Tried to look at Frogs at the LBS but apparently they had an entire batch which had dodgy colours so they all went back meaning very few places have stock.

Watching a few Islabike 20s on eBay at the minute and suspect we’ll end up with one of those. Expensive, even second hand but mini-DBW #2 will also use it in a few years.

hora
    Free Member

The scary thing is lots of those islabikes look quite old too. So people really have had their use out of them.

I might simply buy a new one- run it for 3yrs then just take a £100 hit on resale in 3yrs time.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

They probably have. Noel’s cnoc14 was second hand when we bought it. He’s absolutely hammered the poor little thing for 2.5 years but not one thing (apart from the bell and the odd puncture) has gone wrong with it. A bulletproof little thing…

somafunk

I have a Beinn 16″ for sale if your interested, I bought it from classifieds here 2years ago (£240) for a mates kid and it’s in good condition as i’ve maintained it, he’s 8 now and a lanky 140+cm so i’m buying him a Hoy Bonaly 24″ for a summer surprise pressie.

I popped down t’night to take pics, I’ll post up an ad on stw classifieds t’morn unless you are interested in it

£150posted

hora
    Free Member

We need a 20.

Commencal are out of stock till Sept. Any others?

A race BMX but which?!

peabrain
    Free Member

That is a 20″ Islabike ^^^

If you are going for a BMX please do the kid a favour and get him a 16″ one (mafiabikes are good and inexpensive). My tall 8 year old still rides his 16″ one and it is still a good size for him. Too many of his friends have been bought full size BMXs because “they should be on 20″ wheels at this age” and they hate riding them.

Harry_the_Spider

Carrera Blast 20

The choice of myself and Mr Binners, of this parish. Cracking bit of kit and cheap on ebay. My lad loves his and will happily ride with me on it for a couple of hours.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just picked up an Islabike Beinn 20. £150 and well used but its a cracking little bike. Would have considered a BMX but mini-DBW #01 goes to a road circuit every Saturday where a BMX wouldn’t be ideal.

Bedds
    Free Member

We’re a shameless Isla Bikes family, Callum had a 20″ small for Christmas and loves it, I know they’re expensive, but it’s a great bike and remain sellable after use. Our two year old has an Islabike balance bike at the moment with a 14″cnoc lined up for when he’s a bit taller, looking on ebay, I don’t think I’m going to lose much when it’s time to sell.

Get the 20″ small, geared and light

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What next bike/(or BMX) for a 5/6yr+’ is closed to new replies.