Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What new TV series to watch?
  • TenMen
    Free Member

In the last two weeks I've said farewell to Lost, 24 and Ashes to Ashes. I've also finally finished watching all of The West Wing on DVD. I'm now stuck for a new series to watch, although several people have recommended The Wire. Any recommendations for something intelligent and witty? I'm not opposed to extreme violence either…

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Spartacus, 10pm on tues fx channel. Its not that well acted, the violence is hyper glorified (slo mo blood spray every few secs) but bad as it is its strangely viewable esp after a bottle of red. Its my new guilty viewwing pleasure.

bawbag
    Free Member

The Wire is very good, definitely worth watching. I have also enjoyed Six Feet Under and Generation Kill.

None of these are on TV as far as I know but 'available' online.

johnners
    Free Member
    kimbers

the wire
    deadwood
    battlestar galactica
    rome

Cougar

Firefly.

Cougar

Do you have any leanings towards sci-fi, geekdom or IT generally?

zaskar
    Free Member

I like True Blood I think its called but not exactly new.

Maybe go ride more?

Sparticus and Trauma look ok.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

The shield

mogrim

Fringe

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Luther is by far the best thing on at the moment.

The Wire on DVD.

And Band of Brothers.

Battlestar Gallactica is meant to be very good too

big_scot_nanny

Agree with Battlestar Gallactica recommendation.

I watched the first 2 series on telly, then it got a bit hard ot track down when they were going to be on so bought the last 2 series off of iTunes. Outstanding entertainment!

Kev

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Agree with Battlestar Gallactica recommendation.

I watched the first 2 series on telly, then it got a bit hard ot track down when they were going to be on so bought the last 2 series off of iTunes. Outstanding entertainment!
    That's cool then – we got it on DVD as a gift (after hearing it was meant to be good) but haven't got around to watching it yet. 🙂

richmtb

+1 for Battlestar Galactica, I even managed to persuade my sc-fi hating wife to give it a go and she is actually enjoying it.

packer
    Free Member

Go and watch all five series of The Wire immediately!!
    Best thing I've ever seen on TV I think. I'm trying to forget it as quickly as possible so I can go back and watch it all again… 🙂

TenMen
    Free Member

Thanks, some marvelous suggestions. I have already watched battlestar galactica and firefly and enjoyed them both, but I am tempted by the swords and sandals choices. Although I've just seen Season 1 of The Shield on Amazon for £6.99 – I may well try that first.

zaskar
    Free Member

I watched BG from 70s that was cheesy but good.

The latest version is naff like Supernatural-boring after a while.

Read a book, make money or play the guitar…

Dam Nip/tuck ended too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Read a book, make money or play the guitar…

Dam Nip/tuck ended too.
    Sorry? You suggest reading a book then sound disappointed Nip/Tuck has finished? In almost the same breath?

toby1

I'm about to watch Sons of Anarchy which I hear is great – but personally I can't evaluate it yet as I'm wathcing season 4 of the Wire, and yes it actually is that good!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I've been watching that Stargate Universe thing – It's pretty shite to be honest but kills the odd hour.

The beeb just keep coming up with the goods documentary wise, the atom thing and the science thing are good.

Also the Pacific is OK too, in a sort of aren't we Americans just bloody fantastic sort of way.

jupiter
    Free Member

The Scheme, should still be on the BBC i-player. Only 2 episodes so far, they have stopped the other two pending a court case. Honestly the funniest and saddest thing on TV, it's what Scotland is really like!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The first two series of Damages are really good, I've found the third a bit hmmm but still alright.

sprootlet
    Free Member

I like Lie to me with Tim Roth and a Town called Eureka

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lie to me with Tim Roth and a Town called Eureka

Is that any good? It's a bit of a long-winded title mind you. 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

The Shield
    Fringe
    Breaking Bad
    House

I'm not a huge fan of The Wire for some reason. Just can't get into it.

Cougar

I'm enjoying SG:Universe, it's very slow-paced but pretty atmospheric.

Had The Wire very heavily recommended.

It's an aquired taste, but (as a sci-fi nerd) Farscape is one of the best sci-fi shows ever (apart from Firefly). Well, well worth getting over any preconceptions and giving a chance, it's a superb mix of dark and witty.

New one that I've yet to watch but is supposed to be ace is Breaking Bad.

If you're a geek, Chuck and The Big Bang Theory are dripping with in-jokes. TBBT is like a US version of the IT Crowd, only considerably funnier.

Dexter is supposed to be ace, again I've not got round to watching it yet.

The first series of Heroes was great, then it kinda didn't know what to do with itself.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

then it kinda didn't know what to do with itself.

The same could be said for almost any (American) tv series.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Dexter's the best series ever, I thought everyone had seen it…If not watch it ASAP.

chiefgrooveguru

The Wire

(close typo moment there – it was almost 'The Eire' which just ain't the same…)

loftmonkey
    Free Member

luther has been the best thing on tv for ages

_tom_
    Free Member

Somehow forgot about Dexter! Yes it's awesome, season 3 is crap but the rest are really good. 1 of course being the best, 4 being the best "other" series.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The Shield – Class
    Dexter – Class
    The Wire – Found it a bit slow at times
    Generation Kills – Amazing
    Breaking Bad – Shouldn't work but it does
    SG-U – I like it and I am not in to the whole sci-fi thing
    Sons of anarchy – Ace and I am waiting for the next season
    True Blood – Can't wait for the next season!!!
    Modern Family – Quite funny

bullheart
    Free Member

Try 'Justified' on Five. Very cool.

RealMan
    Free Member

TV is crap. Go ride your bike. Much more fun.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Go and watch all five series of The Wire immediately!!
    Best thing I've ever seen on TV I think. I'm trying to forget it as quickly as possible so I can go back and watch it all again..

Hmm, I quite enjoyed season 1 but never made it to the 2nd eisode of season 2.

Enjoyed Battlestar Galactica, Lars van Trier's The Kingdom is now old but was awesome and I'm quite enjoying Fringe for the X-Files vibes (and references).

sniff
    Free Member

True Blood series 2 was on FX – should be on E4 or something soon, well worth watching always a twist in the story lines

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chuck is coming back for a new series soon….!

yunki
    Free Member

hollyoaks FTW

AlexBerry
    Free Member

If you like your TV intelligent and your swearing to Olympic Gold standard then "The Thick of It" is now available on DVD for all 3 series (well 2 and 2 specials). It is even more poignant now with the recent election result………

stuartie_c
    Free Member

The Wire.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What new TV series to watch?’ is closed to new replies.