Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What new sofa? (where to buy)
  • scotabroad

Cant think of anything less interesting to discuss and have been in denial, but now the current one is completley wrecked and will have to bite the bullet.

Used for family of four inc teenagers and a dog, so needs to be leather.

So any companies you guys would recommend, in Dumfries so a bit limited but edinburgh and glasgow shops are possible. (not IKEA, I am allergic to that shop) 😐

redstripe
    Free Member

we use this place at work, mail order, always been good: http://www.sofasofa.co.uk/
    bought a couple over the years from there for home too, or just look on gumtree locally to where you are

poolman
    Free Member

+ 1 for gummy. I got a lovely corner cream leather sofa plus foot stool for 250, hardly used. I furnished a whole flat for less than 1k, all really good stuff, loads of rubbish on there but lots of really good stuff too.

z1ppy

Take a gander at flebay, for local ad’s… loads of ppl have to sell of their lovely leather sofa’s for pittance, as no one will give them even anything close to the money they paid. Obviously you need to sort out transportation but it worth considering. Bought 2 over the last few years, one the bloke had been made to sell it as it didn’t match the rest of his partners furniture and he was gutted…

loddrik
    Free Member

Checks in

stumpy01

We got a Furniture Village one. Wasn’t cheap, but wasn’t silly expensive, either.
    The bloke went to great pains to explain how it was constructed in such a way that it wouldn’t just sag in time like some of the cheaper sofa’s do.
    I was a bit sceptical, but almost 4 years later and it still looks like new. Admittedly, that is only with my Wife & I using it (well, the cats have attempted scratching post duties a couple of times on it – but a quick shoe thrown at them has deterred them).

Anyway, I’d buy from them again.

johndoh
    Free Member

We got a Next one about 14 years ago, still holding up okay – it’s been steam cleaned throughout a couple of times and the covers (although marked as not being washable) have been washed countless times and come up really well.

I have never heard a good thing about Barker and Stonehouse though – not the quality of the stuff, but the utter and absolute hopelessness of actually getting the correct stuff delivered at a time that is within an approximation of when they actually said they would.

(That comes from three different people over the last 3 or 4 years – missing stuff, incorrect stuff, damaged stuff, undelivered stuff, delayed stuff etc etc etc).

rockhopper70

Absolutely no use to you based on where you are, but on the off chance you are in the area, Westbridge Furniture manufacture sofas for big names, Next, IKEA, John Lewis, M&S, and have factory outlets in Stoke and Deeside.
    Usually 70% off RRP but it is pot luck as the stock is cancelled orders, end of lines etc.
    All brand new though.

I saw a leather chair (M&S Abbey range) for £700ish less than we paid, that’s just the chair.

Hindsight and knowledge are wonderful things!

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3 piece suite, brown leather for sale. Not a mark on them.
    500 quid and they’re yours.
    The only thing is I’m in North Wales. Bring your bike and ride Coed y Brenin, Marin and Antur Stiniog – all 30 minutes away from me. Snowdon is 10 minutes away.

monkeychild
    Free Member

My mate runs a furniture busines furniture

spacemonkey

Here’s a thread I started 6 months ago. End result was a £3000 saving on a pair of bang tidy M&S sofas from eBay. Already had the van on hire as we were moving house that day 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup S/H we got a 2k John Lewis one for 100 quid off a mate it’s really in mint condition and 3 months with my tribe/dogs it’ll be knackered so new was not worth it.

If it must be new John Lewis have very good stuff and impeccable customer service if for some reason it’s not up to scratch.

Avoid DFS like the plague.

bear-uk
    Free Member

My Next sofa’s are a couple of years old and seem to be standing up well to daily use.

themilo
    Free Member

Sofa sofa here too. Twice actually. Good value for product and quality.

mooseface
    Free Member

Next sofas here seem to be holding up good after 3 years and comftable.

Although my sister brought a small L shaped from next and it’s only good if your 4ft tall.

But that’s what you get for buying without trying.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you can find an auction room, sofas go for buttons. Seriously, we saw one go for a fiver and another fail to sell completely, both in great condition (the second one was a bit ugly, but it was leather). We bought two lovely large leather armchairs for 100 quid each which was possibly overpaying a bit, but they were perfect for us and would have been about 10x that new.

homer

I hear that DFS have a sale on! 🙂

scotabroad

all good stuff, just need to convince the boss now…….

scotabroad

ps iolo send me some pics please ta

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Got ours made to measure by a local chap, chose top quality semi aniline leather, it took 13 hides to make it. The equivalent in a showroom in my opinion would have cost a lot more. That way you get exactly what you want.

konabunny
    Free Member

Check out the auctions at Ramsay Cornish. Stuff goes for buttons.

Sofa sofa here too. Twice actually.

Sofa sofa sofa sofa?

the-muffin-man

That way you get exactly what you want.

…and you chose that! 😯

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Yes, photo does make colour look a bit vibrant!!!, but it does sleep 5 in comfort. 8)

somafunk

Barbours in DFS are not as expensive as you may think and they are a family owned firm with very good aftercare if anything goes wrong, they usually have pretty decent sales twice per year with genuine reductions rather than the year round crap that’s offered in the sofa megastore type places.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What new sofa? (where to buy)’ is closed to new replies.