Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What new shock (for a Rocket)?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

The Fox RL Evo that came with my Rocket has, sadly, burped its last. Sadly mainly because I’m off to the Lakes on Saturday and now have no frame. Sigh.

I’m currently looking at either a CCDBA second hand (there’s one in the right size in the classifieds) or a RS Monarch RT3 DebonAir which TF have for £265 at the moment. I’m swaying towards the RS at the moment ‘cos I don’t think I’ll really see the benefit of the CC, plus I’m a fit and forget kinda guy. Any experience of either?

Ta.

honourablegeorge

What size?

Commencal have BOS Vip’r in 200×57 for cheap

flyingmonkeycorps

200 x 57 as it happens. Off to Commencal now…

nixie

200×57

I’d buy whatever you can get shipped in time! Or see what one of the local shops could get you in time to collect.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve talked to Cy about this at various points in time.

Vipr is the best controlled of the lot. I have one on my Rocket, and it’s great, right up until the point you have to go anywhere near Bos, at which point it becomes a complete nightmare.

CCDBA inline seems to be the next best option for the tinkerers – I’m told offers more support than the normal CCDBA.

X-fusion Vector also gets glowing reviews, as being simple, straightforward and Chay-proof.

Burchy1
    Free Member

CCDB inlines in 200×57 for £250 at Alltricks.

Link

nixie

Commencal showing out of stock. That was cheap though!

flyingmonkeycorps

I can probably borrow a frame for the Lakes, I’ll just have to slum it on a hardtail 😉

I’m not a tinkerer at all tbh, and I think I’d sooner avoid Bos for the reasons above. I’ll have a look at the X-Fusion, might drop Cy a line too.

flyingmonkeycorps

Ooh that looks good from Alltricks, have to see what the delivery is like. And if they can do mount hardware…

sprocker
    Free Member

I just got a debonair of Tf for that reason setup for my zesty at 265, I have fitted it and hope to forget it. Only done 1 ride on which it felt better than the fox I had on.

flyingmonkeycorps

Well I’ve ordered a DBInline from Alltricks. Won’t be here for the weekend so I shall be playing out on my old hardtail.

julians
    Free Member

I had a ccdb air on my previous bike, and have a bos kirk on the current bike.

They’re both excellent shocks, cant tell much difference between the two in terms of damping. Havent had any issues with the BOS shock yet, so cant comment on service issues.

So on the basis of the tales around poor availability of bos parts, I’d go for ccdb air .

nixie

Having just got a Rocket I’d be interested in knowing how the CCDB inline feels. I’m only 2 rides in (fitted with a new Float CTD) and haven’t notice anything untoward yet. Where were people finding the fox lacking?

flyingmonkeycorps

My Fox (an RL Evolution) was knackered; felt crap so I sent it off for a service and it was gonna cost £200 to put right. Seemed more prudent to upgrade than spend that much fixing what’s not that great of a shock to start with. I’ve also only had the frame a few months and not ridden it *loads*.

So I’m probably not the best person to ask!

Limy
    Free Member

I brought a 2nd hand Rocket earlier this year. The Fox CTD shock that came with it felt great to start but then quickly failed (It had been pushed for someone lighter than me). I had an old Fox DHX 5 lying around so sent that off to Avalanche for a conversion and tuned to the correct leverage. It feels amazing on descents. It bobs quite a bit climbs but i don’t really notice unless look down at the shock.

flyingmonkeycorps

Well, the CCDBInline (snappy name!) is all fitted and set up as per Cy’s suggestions… Cheeky post work ride in our local woods then Cut Gate on Sunday to test it out. I am excited; I suspect my Rocket has never felt “right” since I had it, so it should be nice with a fancy new shock.

flyingmonkeycorps

CC DBInline first impressions: wow. I have a sneaky suspicion that my old Fox may have been even more borked than I remembered, but the DB feels a million times better. Much better controlled, stuff that felt like a pinch flat before is now silky smooth.

Generally it feels better controlled, plusher over small bumps but much better supported on slightly larger hits and pedalling and that’s without using the climb switch. Only used about 75% of the travel but it was very gentle in our local woods so I’m gonna take it round Cut Gate before tweaking anything.

jairaj

I’m very happy with the BOS Vipr on my Transition Bandit. I demoed the frame with a RS Monarch and a Fox RP23 which both felt very similar. But when I came to buy the frame I went for a Vipr upgrade and was very pleased with the result.

Jungle are the new distributor and service centre for BOS and I had no problems getting my shock serviced from them earlier this year. Not sure if BOS’s after sales support is better now or I just got lucky but I don’t seem to hear as many moans about their after sales support as I used to a few years ago.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

It truly is incredible stumping up a little extra for the right product for the job, having now ride on Bos devilles, they do exactly as you mentioned about the inline except on the front end of bike.

Ya get what you pay for and these folk like ohlins, bos, dvo and cane creek are deffo worth their weight in gold to have on your bike.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah the problem now is that I’m going to have to save up for something to replace the ageing Lyriks on the front of the bike…

flyingmonkeycorps

DBInline second impressions: double wow. Had a blast over Cut Gate yesterday in near perfect conditions (dry and dusty bar a couple of boggy spots that never dry out) and it was honestly like riding a new bike.

Super composed over rocky stuff but also eager to pop off every little lip and compression – it makes the Rocket feel like I always thought it should be never quite did and even in this short space I’m back to riding like I used to – popping over rocks, skipping over dodgy lines and doing little jumps everywhere I can.

Seems to climb a lot better too especially with the Climb Switch about half on. Lots of traction.

Still needs some tweaking, I’ve used maybe 4/5 of the travel so I think I can lose a bit of air and maybe back off the high speed compression a click or two.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What new shock (for a Rocket)?’ is closed to new replies.