Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • what new hardtail frame? – dartmoor primal/bfe/soul/456 carbon evo?
  • spawnofyorkshire

I’ve been running my Boardman FS for the last couple of years and whilst it’s ok it doesn’t give me that warm fuzzy feeling i want out of a bike now.
    I’m thinking the switch back to hardtail ain’t the worst thing for me, I prefer my rear suspension rock solid and hate pedal bob with a passion

So my requirements:
    26″ with plenty of mud clearance
    tapered headtube
    suits a 130mm fork
    30.9mm or 31.6mm seattube
    threaded BB

Budget is on low end so a soul would have to be 2nd hand and currently looking at the Dartmoor Primal
    I’m not a hardcore rider at all and looking for something that gives a good bit of feedback/feel at the lower end of the strava league tables. Wheels are def on the ground (until i visit Jedi)

So in fine STW tradition please commence recommending your own bikes 😉

JPR
    Free Member

In even finer STW tradition could I suggest the bike I’ve just replaced and haven’t yet got round to putting in the classifieds?

Dialled Alpine mk3

44mm headset
    120-160mm fork
    30.9mm seattube

kayak23

I’ve just picked up one of these beauties in 26″ flavour as a second hand frame only.
    44mm headtube, 30.9 seat tube.
    Rides amazing.

Got it to replace my Prince Albert so that I could use a dropper and Pikes.

rhid

Ragley Blue pig! Not a tapered head tude but a 1.5″ so fits all forks! Wonderful bike.

tomhoward

Sc chameleon, would have to be NOS or 2nd hand if you want 26″ wheels though.

deviant
    Free Member

Dartmoor Hornet is probably the cheapest brand new option at £185 from Slam69 bikes, it takes a tapered steerer, can be run with 26 or 27.5 wheels, is fairly light as its aluminium, takes a dropper post and will happily sit on 130mm forks.

But, in true STW style i’ll recommend my Ragley, the Piglet-2 is more trail orientated than the longer forked models in the Ragley range and will be perfect on a 130mm fork…bit heavy but you’ll never break it!…takes a 31.6 dropper, has a 44mm headtube for any shape steerer…and taking unfashionable 26 inch wheels means they can usually be found on eBay secondhand for sensible money…as mine was!…

….hand on heart its the best bike i’ve owned and in the last 5 years i’ve had a Kona Caldera, Saracen Ariel, On-One 456-evo, On-One 45650b and a Giant Trance 27.5….the Ragley just feels right and is a hoot to ride every time.

winch
    Free Member

JPR – Member
    In even finer STW tradition could I suggest the bike I’ve just replaced and haven’t yet got round to putting in the classifieds?

Yep, I’d see how much JPR wants for his MK3 Alpine. Mine is ace.

spawnofyorkshire

@JPR – what size is your Alpine? How much etc?

spawnofyorkshire

unfortunately JPR’s alpine is a 16″ and i need an 18″/large

mindmap3
    Free Member

Stanton Slackline 631?

Really liked mine – I had the 853 version which had a 27.2mm post and a 1 1/8th steerer. I much prefered it to the BFe that it replaced; i found the latter very stiff but a bit ‘dead’ to ride. The Slackline just felt a bit more lively – I can’t really explain it.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve just clicked buy on an 18″ Slackline 631

Quite excited now

karlsbug
    Free Member

^You wont regret it. I’ve got the 853, its fab-u-lous.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘what new hardtail frame? – dartmoor primal/bfe/soul/456 carbon evo?’ is closed to new replies.