• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What new car?
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

New job comes with a £6600 car allowence and will be doing around 15K miles a year probably be the only time I will be able to buy a nice car before responsibilites such as mortgage and children kick in. I want a golf gti and stupidly test drove a R32 the other day.

looking to spend 12-15k and upto 3 years old, usual fuel allowence applies.
    My heart wants fast and sporty my head says ecomomical diesel?

will
    Free Member

BMW 335d or 330d? Both very fast and nice cars!

Or anything VAG, for 15K it'd probably look at a A4 or A6 estate.

However you do realise that you will be able to pick up an RS6 around 2003 ish for around £15k… Now thats food for through 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia VRs

mine's fun, comfy , does 50mpg. 😀

massive boot takes a bike too

oxnop
    Free Member

Ive just gone from (last wk end) a 1.8t sline a4 avant to a 07 3dr dsg gti.

I cant tell you how happy I am – My mate said that the Mk5 GTI was boring before I got it (he drives a focus ST), but after driving it this lunch time he aims to get one before Xmas!

Comfy and practical when it needs to be – but a complete hoot when i want it to be.

I was set on a mk5 R32, but after speaking to people who have owned one they say they dont miss the 21mpg avg they got in the real world!

I had a GT TDI for 2yrs before the AUDI and im not going back to diesel again.

Offroading
    Free Member

I happen to have a BMW 330d Shintzer for sale at the momment, and an Audi A6 Allroad but im up in Edinburgh….

Trekster

who is paying the insurance?

flatback
    Free Member

have you checked your new company's car policy, my wife gets the allowance but it has to be a diesil cant be a convertible and must have emissions less than 160,to conform to policy

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don't get a Skoda if you have a sense of style.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hi oxnop yes the gti seams like the best comprimise would be looking at a mk5 as well. The st gives you a lot of car for your money but looks a bit boy racer and drinks heavily. What sort of real world mpg are you getting?

Offroading bit to far for me unless its a bargin….

edit

no policy as such but comon sense should be applied, tbh I could probably use my current 02 astra if I took the dents out , made sure it started everytime and somehow managed to remove 3 years of dog hair, mud , grease and climbing chalk from it. I am gonna keep it as the dirty job van as it makes a builders van look clean.

Oh and i am 27 so style still applies and i will be paying the insurance servicing etc

fivespot
    Free Member

I'm selling my Saab 9-3 Tid 150, 57 reg, facelift model. I hope this link works…….http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-otsaab-9-3-tid-150-57-reg

oxnop
    Free Member

I bought it from Newport (im near Keighley) a 250 mile journey back and the car was showing 37mpg – I was driving quite slow initially waiting for the GF in the van & getting used to the DSG so maybe 160 miles eco driving & the rest spirited driving. Cruise control really helped the MPG.

My daily drive to work is about 15miles and I have been getting about 29mpg – this includes sitting in traffic for maybe 50% and country lanes 50%. My 1.8t Audi was getting about 24mpg on the work run.

I also considered (and test drove) a newer A4 avant 2.0 tdi, 330d coupe, S2000 and a 123d m sport and im glad I chose the golf – quite understated and seemed to handle the best. + it suited my age better i think (im 25!)

Good luck

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Golf handles better than an S2000? I think not!

Offroading
    Free Member

A6 – £8950

BMW £7950

oxnop
    Free Member

I agree – silly comment!

My GF didnt approve of the honda as there was no room for our dog! Quite enjoyed the test drive though!

TheFopster
    Free Member

Saab wagon – preferably the twin turbo diesel. Goes like a rocket, fabulously comfy, user friendly interior and as James may would say, doesn't make you look like a c*ck (with all due apologies to beemer owners on here – sure you're all wonderful, it's just the ones that don't hang around on STW that drive like tw*ts),

Offroading
    Free Member

The older 900 V6 Saab is a space ship and a half! But i dont like Saab's 🙄

br
    Free Member

First thing is to work out how much money you'll actually have to spend.

On the plus side; allowance, 40ppm for business miles

On the minus side; tax and NI due on allowance, running costs for all miles, insurance (need to have business cover – class 2?), tax, depreciation etc

If you play it right, you'll get a free car – if you do it wrong…

TBH – do nothing and use your current car until you've saved enough to pay for your next car through profit (allowance and business miles), and then continue – eventually you will have a cracking car, paid for.

Also every mile (except home to office and back) is a business mile, even going from the office to a location and then to home.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What new car?’ is closed to new replies.