Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What needle roller bearing do I need for a Hope Pro 2 SS hub?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hope Pro 2 (non-evo) singlespeed hub which hasn’t been used for a while and is very stiff. I’m going to have a little crack at riding it and trying to loosen it up but don’t think it will be very successful.

The exploded diagram of the hub lists one of the bearings simply as “Needle Roller Bearing HUB301”- does anyone know the size of this so I can order one from a normal bearing supplier rather than “bike part prices”?

Thanks

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’ve got one at home and will check and let you know when I get home (if no one gets back to you sooner). The problem I found was that the part which the bearing runs on wears/corroded too and you can’t buy this separately from hope, but it does come with the bearing when you buy it from them.

michaelbowden

The Hope website has a list of all the bearing numbers their hubs use.

munrobiker
    Free Member

michael- it just lists it as “HUB301” which only comes up with the Hope part.

Hicksy- that’s useful information, worth buying the proper Hope part then? Did you get it direct from Hope- I’ve found it on UK bike store but it doesn’t mention any extra bits.

Thanks

Hicksy
    Free Member

I did what you are thinking of doing and bought a couple of bearings from a local bearing supplier (mainly for speed as it was the day before xmas). When I realised that I needed the other bit I contacted Hope and they very kindly sent me the part I needed FOC(but they don’t normally sell directly or that part separately). When the bearing needs replacing again, I’ll buy the whole HUB301 thing – more expensive, but less messing about. My LBS can usually get hope spares pretty quickly.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Munrobiker – I’ve just checked and the bearing part number is HK1812. Happy trails!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Thanks very much.

mick_r

You’ll probably get one free from Hope if you ask nicely.

And as said above – it is the inner race that usually causes the problems. Have you actually tried pulling it apart and cleaning up? I’ve found fairly ratty rollers / inner race still work ok once cleaned up a bit and re-greased (but only put the tiniest amount of grease on the pawls). You might also find the odd broken leak spring so worth checking inside before ordering anything.

munrobiker
    Free Member

mick- not tried yet, I will be doing that tonight because the bearing listen on UK Bike Store says it is for “newer Pro 2 singlespeed hubs”, which I doubt this is (2008).

trail_rat
    Free Member

did you ever do this luke…..

i have a similar vintage pro 22 SS and im fairly certain theres no roller bearing in my hub…. although now im doubting…..

In other news my new Pro 2 evos lasted 5 rides before the bearing between the freehub and the mean shell disintigrated …… ok those 5 rides totalled 1200kms but still. my previous hope hubs have lasted “years” with similar use….

pjt201
    Free Member

annoyingly there are two different kinds on non-evo Pro2 SS hubs. If it has the NRB, it will have NRB printed next to where it says Pro2 on the hub shell…

trail_rat
    Free Member

good info pjt201….

in which case mines does not have NRB – does it then just use the same bearings as a regular pro2….. its been about 6 years since i last had to change the bearings on my SS….which is why im miffed at my evo doing so poorly….

mick_r

Hi Terry – thought of you from 1st 10@ race as we blasted round kirri today 🙂

My first one only lasted 6 months and got a whole new freehub off Hope. Since then had to learn to strip and clean every few months. It all still works even when quite pitted, just broken rollers, pawls or springs that trash it.

I used to say the same about old hope hubs. Alison’s old one from 1996 race season had done 19 years and multiple rims with minimal bearings. Eldest lad finally killed it on holiday in Germany this summer – ratchet worn and lh spoke flange burst. Couldnt get a new 26 rim brake wheel anywhere-had to eventually explain in broken german that they really could just sell me a hub rim and spokes….

StirlingCrispin

Sorry to butt in – but how do you get the end caps of your ss hubs?

Clamp in a vice and pull? Mine just will not shift.

mick_r

Pull! Saying that, the drive side of that 19 year old hub is stuck solid….

On the drive side I think you can try leaving the sprocket on and just pull off the entire freehub, “seal”, end cap etc as a lump.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mick R – its funny i saw a book on my shelf and thought of you guys the other day.

Tell me – i DID send your copy of the kennett brothers book back right ?

i like to use a pair of pliers on the end cap levering it against the freehub body.

if that fails i have in the past on neglected customer hubs in the workshop just knocked the whole lot out from the non drive wide with nylon faced deadblow and soaked in diesel to get the bearings unsiezed from the axle…..

mick_r

Yup – got a Kennett book on the shelf here. I believe a low key local Kirri 10 was on again this year. If it runs in 2016 might ask if we can do a team of 4 including the kids – starting to feel very old as youngest was a toddler last time we did it….

On that old hub I had to knock through from nds attempting emergency freewheel revival on a German campsite. At that point I discovered the broken flange 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In other news my new Pro 2 evos lasted 5 rides before the bearing between the freehub and the mean shell disintigrated …… ok those 5 rides totalled 1200kms but still. my previous hope hubs have lasted “years” with similar use

I was amazed when I popped the seal off a genuine hope pro2 Evo bearing how little grease there was in there. Barely a smidgin. I slathered a load in, lets see how it goes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What needle roller bearing do I need for a Hope Pro 2 SS hub?’ is closed to new replies.