Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What nationality are my kids?
  • lister

PLease note this is purely for petty name calling and petty arguements about rugby and is in no way serious…

They were born in Wales to two English parents who both have English parents.
    English or Welsh? My (English) wife and they themselves say Welsh, I say they’re wrong!

The way I see it is; if they are any good at sport then they can play for England but if they are only so-so then they’ll probably have a good crack at playing for Wales…. 😉

Which do you think?

DanW
    Free Member

Welsh. Sorry 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

ask them?

psling
    Free Member

This is only going to work if you know what nationality their biological father is; do you know him?

lister

They are young (and wrong).

lister

🙂 The milkman round here is the same as me, English…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Welsh through both birth and choice.

Duffer
    Free Member

Nice boots, those shoes…

psling
    Free Member

Lloegre am byth 8)

matt_outandabout

/thread hijack

So I was born in India, to a Scouser, with Welsh grandparents and an Englishman of Scottish grand parentage. I have spent more time as an adult living in Scotland, yet count myself as a Penrith lad, having spent most of my school years there….

So who am I?

lister

Spartacus?

geoffj

They’ll be welsh if they’re shit at sport and British if they’re any good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Both/either. Whichever they want.

How about this one. Born in England to English parents. Adopted at birth by welsh parents. Given a very welsh name. Brought up speaking welsh. Lived in Wales up until the age of 16 before moving to England (24 years here so far.) Now do I have any claim to be Welsh?

FWIW consider myself to be British (and much more English than Welsh.) Though most assume incorrectly I’d be supporting Wales.

Edit… matt_outandabout… British.

mattsccm
    Free Member

British. Wales isn’t a nation. It’s a conquered principality. At best.

molgrips
    Free Member

They can choose. Birth location isn’t a deciding factor anyway.

And matsccm – what difference does it make if the principality is conquered or not?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Their choice.

DanW
    Free Member

Do the have a tendency to say things like “who’s coat is that jacket”? 🙂

RustySpanner

It should be solely by birth.

Seriously, it would be so much simpler.
    And fun as well.

rab5474
    Free Member

If a dog is born in a stable, does it make it a horse?

maccruiskeen

The milkman round here is the same as me,

You still have a milkman? How quaint. I sometimes wonder if theres a correlation between the uk birthrate being at an all-time low and cheap supermarket milk.

loddrik
    Free Member

Erm, they’re British..!! 😕

I’ll wager they don’t have a ‘welsh’ or ‘English’ passport if they have a passport.

I’m a scouser, certainly not English, but definitely British.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

British. Wales isn’t a nation. It’s a conquered principality. At best.

Wales could argue that it is more of a separate nation/ race than the Scots who are really a planation colony of the ancient Irish 😉

after all where does the name Scot originate from?

weare138
    Free Member

I’m Spartacus and so’s my wife

CountZero

lister – Member
    Spartacus?

weare138 – Member
    I’m Spartacus and so’s my wife

No you’re not, I’m Spartacus!

iolo
    Free Member

There was a rugby match on today. We deserved to lose as we were crap. That was a “6 Nations” game.
    Wales try (and always fail but maybe one day) to qualify for the football world cup.
    We were here well before any Anglo saxons came on the scene and Welsh is one of the oldest languages in Europe.
    The pleasant English king decided to kill our last Prince as they were such nice people. I suppose the EDL of it’s day.
    Are we a country?
    Of course we bloody are.
    Your kids can chose whichever nationality they want. Either is fine.
    The same as they can chose to be heterosexual or gay.
    Who cares what they are as long as they’re healthy.

scotroutes

You think people choose whether to be heterosexual or gay?

rickon
    Free Member

Hmm. Sexuality isn’t a choice.

Born in England, lived in Wales for half my life, now live in Scotland.

I consider myself well-rounded.

konabunny
    Free Member

Loddrik – passports are about citiZenship not nationality.

So who am I?

Cliff Richard?

hora
    Free Member

Welsh but….

If you were born in Pakistan to English parents you couldn’t really call yourself half though. More ‘I was born in and can hold dual passports’.

I think the ‘I am’ relates more to ethnicity argument?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

French.

As for being Welsh it’s not up to you or them, ask the valley locals.

Drac

If a dog is born in a stable, does it make it a horse?

😯

passtherizla
    Free Member

The same as they can chose to be heterosexual or gay.

LOL… Ha ha gotta be trolling?

br
    Free Member

Are we a country?
    Of course we bloody are.

If you give the independence (of Wales) to the vote in England, you would be 🙂

And to answer the original OP – UK for passport and English (for sport).

hora
    Free Member

Ask your kids this, does this Ewe make them ‘funny’?

Kryton57

You are confusing biological ethnicity with geographical nationality.

My kids are English, Mrs K is English, however ethnically they are according to the demographically tick box on atypical government based forms, English/Afro Caribbean. In reality they are English kids with a mixed race gene pool. When they grow up if they decide to refer to them selves as white, black, mixed race, English, West Indian, Caribbean or move to say, Australia and decide they are of Australian nationality is no skin off my nose*. One of them has a distinctly Welsh name (hopes AA doesn’t read this).

*unless one of them plays international rugby for Aus in a match that features a win over England, then Dads
    Law applies.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh Hora the age old stereotypes 🙄

Dear God she is a looker though 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Loddrik – passports are about citiZenship not nationality.

Loddrik is right according to my French passport which simply has Française in the nationality line. The British passport has British Citizen which although one step up from “subject” still stops short of being properly British.

If you consider sport then anything goes. Simon Lessing was born and brought up in South Africa and lived in France but raced for Britain having only spent a couple of weeks on British soil.

Is my wife Polish because her father was born there? Is my son English because his father was born there? My wife manages to be both an immigrant and second-generation immigrant depending on where she’s standing.

OP: If your kids were born in Wales then they are “galois issue de l’immigration” (Welsh born of immigrant parents).

clubber
    Free Member

My Mum’s French
    My Dad is 3/4 French (actually it’s a lot more complex than that but broadly that’ll do) but has always lived in England

I’ve always lived in England (well again, not quite but for this thread, that’s near enough) and have both British and French nationality.

I feel British though I also feel French too.

I don’t reckon that my kids will feel French. Mind you they’re half Northern Irish so that doesn’t really simplify things.

To the OP, your kids are Welsh if that’s what they feel they are.

DanW
    Free Member

Bah… people are taking this too seriously.

It was a thread about rugby allegiances. If we are talking rugby then surely the kids will see the sense in supporting the most passionate rugby nation, learning to be massively pessimistic about the chances of winning anything but also take pride in both club and country sides being glorious in defeat (rather than successful generally). Much more interesting than following the various iterations of the Trundlemuppets 😀

The sheep pic and outrage reminded me of a Rhod Gilbert joke. It isn’t in good taste but it comes from a Welshman so I’m assuming it isn’t too offensive.

What do you call a sheep tied to a lamppost in the centre of Cardiff?

A leisure centre

franksinatra

funny, I had the same conversation with my wife at the weekend. We are both english, our kids were born in Scotland and have lived hear all their lives. They are definitely Scottish. I would put national pride aside though and want the kids to play for whichever team stood the most chance of winning medals!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What nationality are my kids?’ is closed to new replies.