Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What narrow XC Tyre…?
  • Kryton57

After my Anthem linkages clogged in the mud with a Ralph 2.25 multiple times costing me two places yesterday, what 2.1 or less for soft going might replace them?

I can only think of a 2.1 Ron. I do have a 2.0 Beaver which doesn’t really fit my rims so would have to be tubed, is it worth the risk, or is there a better narrow soft conditions tyre?

Yak

How about a 2.2 x king? They come up small, more like a 2.0 at best.

awh
    Free Member

I’d try to get the Beaver to work, they’re excellent. Is the Beaver too loose on the rim? A couple of wraps of insulating tape on the rim should give you a tight enough fit for tubeless.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I used to use a 2″ Dirty Dan on the rear whatever the conditions, loved having the braking and acelerating grip on loose Gorrick courses.

DT78
    Free Member

Medusa / bonty MUDx are my uncool narrow mud tyres of choice on the 26er. Using beavers in 29er but they not really that skinny

jb93
    Free Member

S-Works Renegade

schmiken

Used a 2.00 Dirty Dan yesterday at Cannock. Worked great, better than my legs!

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve gone old school with 2.1 Specialized Ground Control. Really liking them and very surprised by how capable in all sorts the new design is. A true all-rounder and really fast rolling.

jonnyrockymountain

Bonty xr 2 or 1 at 2.0

notfastenough
    Free Member

You can still get the Continental Cross Country 1.5″ which are great if it’s really, really muddy. Rubbish in the dry though.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Been looking at a 2.1 Ron myself in the winter for the rear.
    The 2.25 is pretty handy in the mud.
    Max

Kryton57

Thanks. My familiarly and trust with the Rons is strong.

I think – as above – I might try to get the beaver on the back again to cover the sloppy Spring period, and if not just order a 2.1 Ron.

ferrals
    Free Member

Kryton – while its been wet (drying here so back to standard ron-ralph combo) I’ve been riding both 2.0 beaver f&R and 2.25 Ron Fr, 2.1 Ron rear depending on terrain.

Because I’m pretty anal/OCD about details I had been been swtiching a lot so can offer up a few thoughts.

Beavers while seeming relitvely fast, are very draggy when you ride rons the next day.

Clearance/clearing on beavers better but not amazingly so unless clay-ey when they do seem to not ball up.

Grip on beavers significantly beter when its sloppy and slidy – I think the key is actually the tyre width, it was the front wheel grip I found the most noticable benefit from rather than rear wheel, in particular sinking in and also fitting into ruts better.

Using a Beaver on the front I initally felt I was getting pinged all over the shop. Recommended minimum pressure is way to high in my opinion, dropped down to about 23psi and it was way better.

Kryton57

Thanks Ferrals, it seems we have the same tyre choices. I think if I was buying something today I’d go with the Ron, as I’ve the rest of the year to think about and it will dry up. A 2.1 Ron would have been easier than the 2.25 Ralph I actually used.

I’m annoyed with the Beavers as I can’t get the new to go up on my spare rims – 21 internal is the issue as the Beavers do state 17mm internal required I can see why. My ideal would have been to carry those wheels in the car with Beavers mounted for a quick change after a sighting lap. Probably investing in Dirty Dans for next winter.

I’m now in a quandary though. The only 2.1 Ron I have is a “Performance” (new style dual compound). I would have previously been an advocate of the reduced price and lesser performance – although theoretically harder compound should equal more speed less drag and the sidewalks are the same TPI as Snakeskin – when used on the rear, but after disaster forced a change from a Performance To Evo Ralph at BoB I noticed a marked difference in rolling speed. So I need to decide to accept slightly less performance this year on the cheaper tyre or just pay £30 for Wiggle to deliver a new Evo TLE.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve recently made the switch to Vittoria TNT mtb tyres and have used both the Peyote in 2.1″ – which were fine at the Welsh XC in Llandegla and the Barzo in 2.25″ on the marathons at the weekend.

Type both clear really well and measure up true to size.

adsh
    Free Member

So I need to decide to accept slightly less performance this year on the cheaper tyre or just pay £30 for Wiggle to deliver a new Evo TLE

You have to ask!?

Tyres are consumables – you’ve consumed yours as in it’s no longer fit for the purpose of being the fastest/best choice available. Why on earth spend on light bits, train like hell etc only to choose second best tyres?

Kryton57

A very good point adsh.

Which is why I ordered 2 x Ron 2.1 snakeskin TLE’s from Wiggle earlier this morning… 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good choice. I don’t understand why people skimp on tyres. One of the most important components on the bike.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Also using a Vittoria Barzo here on the front. Not the TNT one – the lighter version. Its very like a RoRon – but vastly cheaper. I like it a lot. I would imagine it would be a great rear option for sticky slippy courses. I have another one for that purpose but not used yet, making do with the existing Saguaro for easier rolling resistance.

adsh
    Free Member

Kryton -good choice – it’s only money!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Only got experience of the TNT ones, they’re not exactly heavy and provide plenty of grip on off camber sheep tracks and grassy or rocky climbs and descents.

They feel like they roll as quick as Bonty XR2’S but with more grip.

Kryton57

it’s only money!

Indeed, and cheaper than Germany at the moment. anyway so now I have full complement of 2.25 & 2.1 Ralphs/Rons thats something else I can’t moan about. 😀

barrykellett
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    Only got experience of the TNT ones, they’re not exactly heavy and provide plenty of grip on off camber sheep tracks and grassy or rocky climbs and descents.

They feel like they roll as quick as Bonty XR2’S but with more grip.

Yea, it is a really great tyre.
    Surprised actually on looking up their specs there that they claim only 60g extra for the TNT model. I assumed their whole range was much heavier on TNT than regular.
    My non TNT was 605g out of the packet. Yea, i weighed it.

Perhaps going to order a Peyote to compare for a rear option. My Saguaro is starting to wear. (Also a superb tyre!)

john_l
    Free Member

What do we think of conti X-Kings in 2.2 flavour vs Rons vs XR2s?

ferrals
    Free Member

Personally I found X-Kings a PITA to set up tubeless, not as grippy as rons and not noticeably faster

Only used one on rear wheel though

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I found Panaracer Trailrakers to be very efficient through the gloopy stuff.

Light too iirc.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What narrow XC Tyre…?’ is closed to new replies.