Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What music streaming system (inc. wifi)?
  • Ben_H

I’ve just switched to internet TV – and I’d like to do the same for our audio needs.

The main unit will be co-located with an amp and cabled to the home router. I’d then like to have a wifi receiver in the kitchen, where the wifi reception seems to depend on the device (e.g. work laptop is fine, but some other wifi receivers aren’t).

I’m on a trial of Amazon Prime, so presume I’d be able to stream music via this service.

Are there any other considerations, recommendations or things I need to think about?

Thanks 🙂

sadexpunk

ive got a squeezebox touch for sale if thats of any interest to you? a cheaper alternative to sonos i believe.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Chromecast is looking like the new best thing now they have an audio version.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Squeezebox stuff is good. I’ve got an old classic one with its own Burr Brown DAC that I still use, although my amp has streaming and Internet radio anyway. Also got a Squeezebox radio for the bedroom.

Though gadgets like this may have licence limitations, such as Squeezebox can’t do Spotify without a third party app and needing Spotify Premium. Though most my stuff is either ripped CDs on my NAS or Internet radio.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sonos one looks tempting coupled with Spotify etc.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Sonos is really good if you like their “volume control on a mains powered mono speaker” approach. One you start pairing them up to get stereo it gets expensive and the unit to add sonos to an existing amp and speakers is ludicrously overpriced.

I sold my 3 Squeezeboxes when our stuff went into storage 2 1/2 years ago assuming there would be something better by now but I don’t think there is. I’m planning on building squeezbox players using Raspberry Pi. Looks like about £75 each and as simple as burning an image onto a SD card.

I’ve been using Apple TV and Apple remote to stream from the Mac but it’s a bit frustrating at times – response can be a little slow and I don’t think it has enough buffer on the players as its prone to stopping for no apparent reason

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Shadex – how much do you want for your Touch? Email me?

surfer
    Free Member

I like the look of the Bose Soundtouch 10. The price seems good and the phone app and presets on the unit mean even mrs Surfer who is a technophobe should be able to use it.

sadexpunk

Mailed you Simon…..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What music streaming system (inc. wifi)?’ is closed to new replies.