Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What music streaming service?
  • Simon

I’ve been using Deezer for the last few years as I got it free with my Orange phone contract. I left Orange back in February and my Deezer account has now reverted to the free version with adverts.
    I’ve been happy with Deever but I’m not sure I want to pay £9.99 a month for it.

What music streaming service are you using and would you recommend it?

Cougar

I’m enjoying Spotify. Not really tried any others so nothing to compare to though.

TheFlyingOx

Google Music. Same cost as Spotify, which I used before Google. Only switched because I couldn’t stream Spotify to the chromecast and therefore to the stereo. This was a coupe of years ago so it may have changed. What I’ve liked about Google is you can upload your own music library (20,000 song limit I think) so if they don’t have a particular song/album you can upload it to your account and it’ll stay in the ether and stream from wherever you are.

CountZero

What I’ve liked about Google is you can upload your own music library (20,000 song limit I think) so if they don’t have a particular song/album you can upload it to your account and it’ll stay in the ether and stream from wherever you are.

There is, of course, one major flaw in this idea, which is why I carry as much of my music around in a 160Gb iPod as will fit.

TheFlyingOx

There is, of course, one major flaw in this idea, which is why I carry as much of my music around in a 160Gb iPod as will fit.

A flaw foreseen by the boffins at Google; you can download any music you choose to any or all of the 10 devices you can register to your music account so you don’t have to rely on a decent internet connection to stream it. I’ve uploaded a couple of CDs from the laptop at home, and then downloaded them to my phone from the wifi at work.

gordimhor

Used to use Spotify and switched to Deezer as it was free for 6 months. Now still with Deezer at tenner a month can’t see any real difference between the two.

slackman99
    Free Member

Tis now 50000 songs

Cougar

It’s powered by Google rather than Apple? (-:

Simon

Going to give the Google thing a go, it’s free for a month.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spotify or Pandora here, Pandora works with the chromecast so thats edging it at the moment, both on free, ads are not that intrusive and I just put up with them. I don’t really listen to much when I’m out and about so not fussed that I might not be able to play that specific track and that specific moment on top of a hill somewhere.

sbob
    Free Member

What’s wrong with youtube?

sadexpunk

What’s wrong with youtube?

i was wondering this myself. you can pretty much find anything you like on youtube, so is this a viable alternative, or are there things that spotify/google do far better?

will google music be able to be cast over wifi to your hifi system? whatever i plump for needs to be coming out my hifi speakers rather than some separate bluetooth/portable speaker….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What does your hifi have to receive this beamed music?
    Using chromecast through the hdmi on the surround sound system here. There are some other options about there too

Drac

or are there things that spotify/google do far better?

Playlists and album collections for one.

sadexpunk

hat does your hifi have to receive this beamed music?

well ive got a squeezebox touch, which i tried before with spotify. it works fine but only the subscibed spotify, cant do the free with ads.

ive also just bought a chromecast from the ads here, but cant get it to work, so wondered if i went in balls deep to try and get it up and running, whether i could stream anything i like to it. i can play tv through my speakers so this seems a realistic option? its a pretty old hifi so theres no bluetooth/wifi/usb on the amp, so its pretty much what i can get to my tv/chromecast/squeezebox.

EDIT: i never had much success with the intuitivity(?) of the spotify interface, i struggled to do a decent search for something, find exactly what i wanted, then play it. its almost certainly my fault, but just didnt seem very user friendly.

Alphabet

I have Spotify premium which allows you to download music to your devise so you don’t need to stream when out and about.

At home it links to my Sonos speakers. I use YouTube playlists with my Chromecast.

I haven’t tried any of the other streaming services though.

sadexpunk

okay, i just went to google music site and looks like ive sort of got it tied to my gmail acc. (dont understand all this google/google+/google apps syncing thing)

i looked at songs in my library and ive got a load of stuff on there that ive also got on a portable hard drive (not connected to this chromebook btw!) hows that happened?? i can only think ive ‘uploaded’ my stuff previously when ive looked into this before.

so google music is probably the way id go as it seems im already partly there. now…… am i right in thinking if i do nothing else, ive got all my physical music stored up in the cloud and i can choose to play this when im out and about? (over wifi would make sense as i only have a 2Gb contract)

and the subs would just give me the extra option of listening to anything at all that i just think of there and then in the same fashion (over wifi)?

and what about ‘downloading’ stuff to listen to offline? can i do that with a subscription on the understanding its only available to me whilst i subscribe?

am i understanding that right?

cobrakai

I’ve got amazon music. I’ve got an amazon prime account so no extra costs. I like it. Found some bands that I probably wouldn’t have came across otherwise.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the basics on google play
    https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/4515411?hl=en
    Some stuff is region specific

P-Jay
    Free Member

Okay I’ll say it, I’ve got Apple Music, I’ve not paid for it yet, but it’s any day now and I’ll happily pay for it.

It’s the only streaming service I’ve ever used though, I wasn’t really interested as I mostly listen to music when I’m riding Solo where there’s rarely a signal, but it seems to use witchcraft to overcome this.

sadexpunk

thanks mike, been looking at that ta.

im having some success now, but still got a bit of a problem if you could help out?

firstly, ive been playing around with router, and got my chromecast working. ive also been playing some of my music, plus suggested mixes through the hifi speakers now so thats all good 🙂

i decided to upload all my recent music. firstly i click ‘upload music’, it opens a box saying either drag and drop or upload from pc. i choose this option, and it opens up my file system on chromebook (with portable HD connected). i choose an album, the ‘open’ button is greyed out. i click individual songs, the ‘open’ button then becomes live. i click it to try uploading one song, it says i need to have google play music installed?? (surely thats what im using?)
    ok, ill try installing it then following prompts, but it says could not install package.

i realise this is maybe digressing a little from ‘what streaming service’ so i dont mind starting a separate thread, just wondered if it meant anything to anyone? basically i cant upload any of my music to my library at present.

thanks

sadexpunk

problem sorted now, i needed a further extension apparently.

something i think im just realising now tho is that theres no free music streaming option like spotify?

am i rihgt in thinking google play music and spotify both cost a tenner to play any music over a wifi connection or download to play later?

but, spotify has the free option with ads, google doesnt? i certainly cant seem to find any free option, i can only play music i already have.

anyone care to verify that?

thanks

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What music streaming service?’ is closed to new replies.