Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What mudguards for a 'cross bike with 23mm tyres?
  • monksie
    Free Member

My Focus Mares Disc doesn’t have guard mounts and I’m using 23mm road tyres on it. Consequently, the clearance is huge. Crud Road Guards would normally do but they work as they sit so close to the tyre. On this bike, they’ll be nowhere near. Any other guards I can use that don’t need guard mounts on the frame? SKS do a half length guard but I’d prefer full length for my commuter.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SKS raceblade longs, they don’t go all the way to the BB but other than that are about as long as normal guards. Might have to bodge something around where the brake should be though.

Either that or normal chromoplastics and P-clips.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How would the crud ones sit any further away from the tyre than normal?

They still mount on the same places as usual?

Aren’t there mudguard mounts?

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks Spooney. I’ll have a look at them.

The Crud Racers (as you will be aware) fasten with zip ties around the seat tube and the seat stay brace. I’m sure you will also be aware that on a disc specific cyclocross frame, the extra clearance afforded for the larger tyres means that an anorexic 23mm tyre is nowhere near either the seat stay brace or seat tube. Further more, as the Crud Guards are so narrow as they are designed to sit so close to the tyre, they won’t really be suitable if they’re positioned 4″ or more away from where they should be.

TomB

The race bade longs rely on a mount that fits under the brake calliper on road bikes. Not sure how you’d bodge them in the absence of a fitting there?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah fair enough, I’d forgotten about that, I’d thought only of the chainstay/fork mounting bit.

TiRed

Provided the seatstay is drilled, you can bodge a small bracket to mount the raceblade long fittings.

There is at least one mudguard that mouns from the chainstay only. P35s are rid enough not to flop around without the seatstay mount too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TiRed – Member

Provided the seatstay is drilled, you can bodge a small bracket to mount the raceblade long fittings.

There is at least one mudguard that mouns from the chainstay only. P35s are rid enough not to flop around without the seatstay mount too.

IME they break there after time if you don’t use the bridge. Also he has not mounts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What mudguards for a 'cross bike with 23mm tyres?’ is closed to new replies.