Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What mudguards?
  • Pook

Getting bored of having a dirty crack. 😯

Any recommendations?

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

what bike?

zaskar
    Free Member

Commutes or singletrack?

Full wrap around tortec or sks/raleigh.

XC-crud catchers etc.

Pook

Singletrack.
    Rockhopper.

Coleman
    Free Member

SKS Shockboard front and SKS X-Tra Dry rear on all my mtb's. Both removed in seconds when not needed.

chappers
    Free Member

Agree with cycleworlduk. Crud race guard and crud catcher, though mine are white. 🙂 Did have cryaguards but the quick release is bulky and I don't take my guards off ever so pointless for me. They work just as well but not quite so aesthetic IMO.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

SKS shockboards fall off, the bung doesn't stay in, and the quick remove teeth wear out in a few weeks because the guard wibbles about.
    BUT, they become brilliant as soon as you add two tie-wraps round the fork crown!
    Who invented tie wraps anyway?

Northwind

SkS shockboards on both my bikes, just fantastic. Make crud front guards (and all other downtube guards) look like the half-assed half-effort they've always been.

Lots of rear guards that work, the last of the 3-bolt fit Crudcatcher rears was very good, the new one's a horrible bit of design but if you get it to work it's good (so overdependant on friction and interference fits, and the whole thing's held together with a splined bolt mounted into soft plastic, just plain stupid- either they didn't test it or they replaced all their engineers with artists) Still, the mudguard blade itself is very good so it's worth persevering.

"SKS shockboards fall off, the bung doesn't stay in, and the quick remove teeth wear out in a few weeks because the guard wibbles about."

Not had any of those problems. Well, I've knocked the guard off a few times but never had it fall off once. The bungs have never shifted on any of the 3 bikes I've fitted them to, sure you have the right bungs fitted? The guard shouldn't really wobble either- though I did add a wee bit of silicon foam to mine to protect the fork crown and to keep it all nicely in place.

z1ppy

"SKS shockboards fall off, the bung doesn't stay in, and the quick remove teeth wear out in a few weeks because the guard wibbles about."

again WTF is he on about? Got three here and lot of m8's who use them too. They do break though… when you crash, but then you zip-tie them back on.

I'd thoughly recommend the Shockboard as a front mudguard.
    Though a downtube mounted crud catcher in conjuntion with a 'beef-flap' mud guard is pretty damned good too – either is useless on it's own though.

For the rear, an old style Crud catcher or if you have a frame with V-brake/canti-mounts a decathlon v-brake mounted mudguard is the best I've tried:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-rear-17251445/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What mudguards?’ is closed to new replies.