Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What MTB eyewear?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m fed up with my contact lenses flying out or getting grit in my eyes. I’ve always been put off eyewear as it used to either just steam up or get dirty and become too much of a faff. Have things moved on? Any recommendations? And no, I don’t want to get laser surgery, thanks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cheap endura or dhb plastic glasses. Keep out the grit, branches etc and you don’t care if they get broken in a crash. I always ride in them, endura have a few different lense shades included

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Adidas evil eyes, also rx compatible for glass inserts.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Safety specs. Can buy in bulk from decent stores, can look pretty fashionable these days, if you loose them, scratch them then they’re pretty cheap to be almost disposable. Also have tough polycarbonate lenses so as good quality and offers as much if not more protection as the most expensive fashion glasses.

Kryton57

Oakley Radars with the clear/black transition lenses have been the best, albeit not the cheapest option for me.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Oakley prescription glasses are great but they have a limit on prescription strength for Transitions and Prizm lenses. They are fairly expensive too.

I just had a pair of glasses delivered yesterday from Optilabs. They were about £150 or so with prescription Transitions lenses, I’ve not been out on the bike with them yet but they seem to be pretty good quality. Their customer service is pretty good too if you call them for any reason.

njee20
    Free Member

Radar +1

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Have a look on the Arco website.
    Loads of choice, you can even get ones that look trendy for less than a fiver.

jsync

Tifosi dolomite 2.0 for me.

binners

Bolle Contour safety glasses. Cheap as chips. Buy a few pairs. Wear them til you scratch them to buggery, bin ’em. Repeat….

molly2202
    Free Member

Some safety specs are not “lenses” and light passes through in a non optical manner, so can cause headaches….. Get the cheapest ride specs you can.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Radar EVs with Trail and Road Prizms and a set of clears.

Very happy with mine. 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Aviators if you don’t want to look like a prick

duncancallum

I have some bolle safety glasses too.

Also have some lidl diy gloves as they are an ace mid weight glove…

I’m not always so cheap…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aviators if you don’t want to look like a prick

Some of your finest work! 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

🙂 I like the gif

Kuco

I use Adidas evil eye with inserts but Oakley Flack Jackets with contacts in.

patagonian
    Free Member

+1 for Bolle, I use the Contours…………along with lens implants.

kimbers

endura mullets work very well,better than my oakley fastjackets tbh and a fair bit cheaper!

dhrider
    Free Member

Oakley’s with prizm trail lens.

grahamt1980

Either Bolle safety glasses (they do an HD version now which is awesome – I use them at work too), or some Oakley Flak X with Prizm trail lenses.
    Depends on the conditions and also not risking oakleys when doing downhill

Northwind

Safety glasses for me (Bolle BL10 I think usually). If you have some objection to not using “proper bike kit” then decathlon do some nice cheap cycling glasses which are totally just the same as safety glasses but cost a bit more.

My riding glasses get plastered with mud and then wiped clean with random bits of manky bike kit, they get stuffed wherever they’ll fit when I want to take them off, put away dirty, they get poked with sticks, squashed in bags and lost and left behind and generally I reckon £3 is a good amount to spend on them. I had some nicer Tifosis, they weren’t any better at anything and then I lost them, gutted.

Re steaming up- get some nikwax visor proof. Some lenses are marketed as anti-fog but it never works as well as the magic spray. It might seem a little expensive but nobody knows how long a bottle lasts for because it’s only been on sale for 15 years or so and that’s not long enough for it to run out.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

+1 for Bolle, I use the Contours…………along with lens implants.

I like the Contours also, what do you mean by lens implants?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

+1 for Bolle Contours. Cheap as chips and don’t make you look like Bono.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

As per northwind every pair of more expensive riding glasses I’ve owned get lost, broken and scratched.
    The coating on my bolle spiders is so good that after a year they still don’t fog up and are still pretty scratch free.
    Pretty good for £8

patagonian
    Free Member

Lens implants…….have you old lenses removed and new plastic ones inserted, takes 20 minutes. They fit corrected lenses so no need for glasses anymore. Thank you NHS 🙂
    Made a huge difference to my life.

mmannerr

Julbo transition lenses are quite nice optically and price is not too bad – I wear them with contacts.
    My Oakley prescription riding glasses are still in excellent shape after maybe 7 years but they did cost a lot and the prices have been increasing all the time.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Lens implants…….have you old lenses removed and new plastic ones inserted, takes 20 minutes. They fit corrected lenses so no need for glasses anymore. Thank you NHS

I didn’t even know that was possible, luckily I don’t need to wear glasses but I’m sure I will at some point in the future so I’ll ask about implants when the time comes. 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What MTB eyewear?’ is closed to new replies.