Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What MP3 player for long trip to Nepal – recharging is an issue!
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m going to Nepal for a month later this year and want to take some music. I used to have a Creative Muvo (or something like that), 1GB capacity and ran for about 20hrs on a AAA battery, so ideal.

Now I’ve got an iPod and Power Monkey, which might do the job, but does anyone want to recommend a non-hard drive MP3 player that has a very long battery life and is either quick to recharge or runs off AAAs.

In case it isnt obvious, there’s not going to be any AC power available…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the solar option?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Captain – it’s dependent on the sun. Fairly reliable in the mountains (and strong), but not ideal (eg there’s no sun at 3am in the morning when some motivational music is just the job)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good point.

I use my phone as my MP3 player (with a big memory card) and carry a spare battery sometimes. Another option for you? Otherwise, what abuot a wind up charger?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member
    DrJ

I had similar concerns for my camera batteries on a trek to Everest Base Camp, but recharging was not a big problem (required some money) as tea-houses all had some recharging facilities. One guy had a solar charger thing that he carried around strapped to his backpack, which seemed to work OK.

Otherwise, what abuot a wind up charger?

Don’t attach it to STW – it’ll overload 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

iPod Nano claims 24 hour battery life. Turn the screen brightness down to minimum and the ‘dim backlight’ time to minimum. The screen runs down battery far quicker than playing music. I don’t reckon anything else will give you a better battery life/storage/size.

Then separate the problem of charging – ideally you want something that runs off AA cells as you can buy them anywhere – so build yourself one of these (or find something that does the same job) so that you can charge the iPod off AA’s if you need to.

almightydutch
    Free Member
    nobtwidler
    Free Member

Solar charger with battery Then you can use Mp3 or phone

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve had a Sony Nw-hd5 since it came out in about 2005. It lasts over 40 hours on a full charge (Sony claim 30) I also have a second battery giving me 80+ hours. It’s metal, I’ve fallen off a few mountains and bikes with it and it still runs fine. There is a keypad shortcut to unlock the software and make it louder, IIRC EU mp3 players have to be quieter. I would replace it, but all of the newer Mp3 players seem flimsy, quiet and power hungry by comparison. It does seem big and boxy by comparison, but I like things that just work everytime.

uplink
    Free Member

I have a couple of these things that’ll allow recharging from AAs or can just run the device from it

Quite cheap too

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks guys – some of those battery powered mp3 players have become pretty expensive!

Those AA chargers look useful.

Actually the camera battery is more of a concern as they generally arent chargable from this type of gizmo or solar power charges. I reckon I need a handful of spare batteries.

I’ve managed on 2 Canon batteries in the past, but my new Panasonic seems more power hungry, especially if you forget to turn the gps off.

nedrapier

2nd the power traveller. I’ve got one of those and a sony mp3 jobby. Charging took most of a day, but that weas at pretty high lattitudes, so might be quicker with th sun higher in the sky. One charge of the battery charged the mp3 player 3 times.

nedrapier

The freeloader is bigger and not quite as well finished, but will charge camera batteries. Not sure if the adapter comes separately.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What MP3 player for long trip to Nepal – recharging is an issue!’ is closed to new replies.