Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What MP3 Player?
  • steveh

I’m looking for an MP3 player, I’ve not had one before but a broken collar bone a few months ago means I finally got round to ripping all of my cd’s which I couldn’t face before.

It needs to have 50gb storage as a minimum. Apart from that I only really plan to use it in the car/van to save having to swap cd’s over and never really having the one I want with me. Accordingly I’m not fussed by video playback, games etc but don’t mind having them if they are included.

So what should I get?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

the new ipod4.

I got one for my birthday and it’s one of the best things I have ever bought. I use it for loads of stuff – the apps are awesome! Angry birds is superb!

Honestly, it’s totally brilliant! I’ve never owned an Apple product befpore and was a bit sceptical about them but I am seriously converted – a truly fantastic machine.

steveh

I should probably have added that I don’t want to spend more than I need to, aka the cheaper the better.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m happy with the Sony Wifey bought me a couple of Xmasses ago for £60ish. The cable I bought that connects it to the auxilliary port at the back of my car stereo was a good buy too.

Conqueror
    Free Member

If you don’t need many features, and are just concerned with audio quality and battery life (an mp3 player right?) the Sonys are great. No messing around with silly software either, drag and drop.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Yup, I had a Sony previously and the sound is ace. It’s nice and simple too.

I too didn’t want to spend too much but I got the ipod as a present. I’d still recomend trying one…

steveh

Sony sounds like it might be what good, any particular models? I really can’t bring myself to spend 300ish on something which has all the features of the new ipod that I don’t need.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I have a creative – fantastic never had a problem ripping cds to it whereas the sony one that PP bought for Christmas one year he took back because he could not upload some of my favourite cds. I bought a spare battery for it as I used it for walking to and from work everyday

steveh

I can’t find a sony one with over 40gb of storage which is an issue. Will go see what creative can offer.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Just remembered, I bought my oldest son a Sansa mp3 player and it’s really good too! The sound is great, battery life excellent, very easy to use and was great value.

Definitely worth a look at too.

PS if you did want an ipod I could get you one when I fly back home – much cheaper… lol yes it is that good!

PPS do you really need that much space? I got the 32GB and it’s more than enough. I used about 20GB for music – that’s about 4000 songs.

steveh

I’ve already got 45gb of music from ripping the cd’s I already have and I’d like a decent amount in reserve as well.

Sansa might be worth a look too, found decent looking creative one £150 new.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

ipod classic 160GB? Can get them for £175 from Amazon…

Think you can get an 80GB and a 120GB version too?

steveh

That’s an option too. Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sony mp3 players are great.

Mine’s a NWZ S639F. Stupid name, great player though. Got it cos the reviews were great regarding sound quality.

CountZero

See if you can pick up a 5G iPod Video of of eBay or elsewhere. The top end one came as an 80Gb. The reason I suggest it is they were the last ones with a user replacable battery, and there’s a firm in the States that does a kit that includes a larger capacity battery and a 240Gb harddrive. Costs around $175, I’m upgrading mine next year, it’s only got about five gig spare, and I’ve got lots more stuff to go on it. If not then the 160Gb Classic. As far as ‘silly software’ is concerned, I thought even the Sony’s required music management ‘ware, which is usually described as ‘crap’. You can drag and drop from iTunes onto an iPod, I’ve never done it any other way, you just click ‘manually manage music and video’ at the bottom of the page. Sound Quality? The only reason Sony players rate higher than iPods in reviews is because Sony supply better quality ‘phones, due to the fact they make them. Stick a pair of Denon or Klipsch or Ultimate Ears phones on an iPod and I’d be prepared to bet nobody could tell the players apart, using files ripped at 320kb.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What MP3 Player?’ is closed to new replies.