Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What MP3 for running
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend an MP3 player? I’ll probably almost exclusively use it for running, so not too bulky.

Is it worth paying a bit of a premium and going for an iPod nano or are there some equally good, low budget ones around?

Thanks

richardk
    Free Member

iPod shuffle – small, light, and highly robust. Ideal for running.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sandisk Sansa Clip is good. I often use mine for running – nice and small and clips onto my shorts. And easy enough to press the buttons, even if wearing gloves.

CountZero

Shuffle or Nano, the supplied EarPods are excellent ‘phones that allow you to hear traffic, and the remote controls all functions: FFWD/Rew/Pause/Play, no need to access device controls.

Kuco

I use an iPod shuffle nice and small with yurbud headphones.

Fantombiker

The problem with the shuffle is that is very difficult to get podcasts on it…….

Vinnyc
    Free Member

Shuffle or Nano, touch possibly with a armband as the new ones are quite light

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Shuffle isnt hard to get podcasts on, just drag and drop…

jon1973
    Free Member

does the shuffle have a built in clip?

CountZero

does the shuffle have a built in clip?

Yes, I often see people with Shuffles clipped to jacket collars. The clip is the same size as the Shuffle, it’s basically like an extra hinged back.

jon1973
    Free Member

Great. Shuffle looks like a good option. Thanks all.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I like my Sony waterproof one, designed for swimming but great for bike and running.

midlifecrashes

Another vote for Sansa Clip (there are several types), though if I used iTunes, I’d be tempted to Shuffle too. The Sansa is excellent though.

firestarter
    Free Member

I have a sansa clip and shuffle both good. Prefer the clip tho for ease of use and for taking a memory card too

antigee

inigomontoya – Member
    I like really hate my Sony waterproof one

odd charging system and very unique so if you can’t find it you are stuffed, you are supposed to change the earplugs from swimming to running and sound is still crap and can never work out if turned it off ….a little rant

for running ipod shuffle but they don’t like getting wet
    if want podcasts / playlists nano so you can find them easily

edit earbuds not earplugs

dobo
    Free Member

sansa clip zip, can use rockbox as well.
    but running with music on is shit

Frankenstein
    Free Member

iPod nano if you use Bluetooth headphones.

No more cables. But defeatist if you have a decent mobile.

slowoldman

Just enjoy the run.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I had a Sansa clip..it was ace, but after 6 months the battery just gave up. Use my phone now.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

odd charging system and very unique so if you can’t find it you are stuffed, you are supposed to change the earplugs from swimming to running and sound is still crap and can never work out if turned it off ….a little rant

Never lost the lead, so no problem there but shuffles have unique leads too? Never changed ear plugs for different activities, and sound seems fine to me over my tortured breathing! And a flashing green led isn’t that confusing surely?

Personally I hate headphone leads bouncing around when I run.

downshep

Have the Sony wraparound one (Model NWZ W252) designed for running. Excellent design as there are no wires to rub, flap and distort the sound. Light enough to stay put and splashproof too. Buds fit well enough to partially isolate without completely blocking out traffic noise. Overall sound quality when relaxing in quiet environment isn’t quite as good as ipod or other Sony players but it isn’t for that. Uses the same size USB charger as a Garmin. A good compromise for a specific purpose.

seadog101

iPod Shuffle, and this is coming from an Apple haterist. I used to be all over the Sandisk Clip, but the battery on the two I had seemed to fry out after about a year.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 iPod shuffle. I have a few MP3 players incl. walkman and Sony Waterproof jobbies, but the Shuffle always gets picked up for workouts that don’t involve water. Simple, love the controls, good enough sound, silly long battery life.

A pain having to use iTunes IMO but that goes with the territory. I use a 2gb Shuffle with just a few albums on so no endless searching.

kiwijohn

Still using a G1 shuffle from 10 years ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What MP3 for running’ is closed to new replies.