Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • What Motorbike to Commute on?
  • failedengineer

I find it weird that when I first got into bikes (at 16) a 650 was a BIG bike (T120 Bonnie,mmmmm). Now my 1050 Triumph seems about average when you look at all the 1100s, 1200s, even 1400s around. Not counting cruisers of course. Rocket 3 anyone?

freddyg
    Free Member

sorry b r – It wasn't meant to be derogatory – merely a typo. I should have said smallER. Apologies. 😳

zaskar
    Free Member

Funniest thread ever-knee of the ground race machine for commuting LOL!

That Vespa is very nice Poddy Man!

How the hell do you use a motor bike in Winter ice/snowy roads? Isn't it slippery or do get winter tyres etc? (It's he only thing keeping me not buying a motorbike again.)

CBR 600 -my old man used for 10 years commuting and fun etc.

He's semi retired but has a mint Honda C90 cub in the garage! LOL I've raced him on my roadbike for 3 miles but he beat me uphill…

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

I once had a RD350LC to go to work on when i worked in Banbury,35miles each way where i lived then…
    Couldnt wait to finish & blast home….
    Never let me down EVERY
    Wind,snow or in the rain…
    I bought it off a good mate over there for £500 9 years ago..Only wish i still had her..WEEP WEEP… 😥

ChrisA
    Free Member

Stupid as it sounds, my summer commuter is my 749r. However, sat alongside it in the garage is my new desmo rr which definitely won;t be used for commuting!!

Northwind

"How the hell do you use a motor bike in Winter ice/snowy roads? Isn't it slippery or do get winter tyres etc? (It's he only thing keeping me not buying a motorbike again.)"

With a road bike, you try not to, basically. Actual snowy roads are pretty rare though in this country and a little snow isn't too bad but ice and deep snow on road tyres is very bad. You can get around to some extent if you know how but because you have to ride so cautiously with huuuuge braking zones etc other road users are a constant hazard too. It is not fun.

Even worse if (like idiot here) you have something daft with no central tyre tread on the back, I literally can't ride mine up the driveway if there's an inch of snow on it, it's incapable of moving itself up the tiny slope :mrgreen:

Still this is about my 8th scottish winter and there's not been many days I've felt it wasn't wise to ride. More this year than in all the 7 before in fact, there were quite a few days where I broke out the mountain bike instead, couldn't have even got the motorbike out of the garage. I'd not have tried to commute by car either though for most of those days.

Ti29er
    Free Member

ChrisA
    That's seriously tasty.
    Bloomin' expensive too?
    Thought the r was awkward at low revs, more suited to track work than traffic lights.

solamanda
    Free Member

How the hell do you use a motor bike in Winter ice/snowy roads? Isn't it slippery or do get winter tyres etc?

I don't ride if ice is going to form badly. Usually my gauge is if my road is iced over I take the car, which usually is rare. Alot of my winter commuting is on roads with some small ice patches. You can do it fine as long as you are smooth. If the bike is falling over at a controllable rate you can stop it hitting the deck like a sack of spuds by pulling in the clutch and revving the nuts off it to use the gyro effect of the engine to hold it upright. Done this a few times and it's magic as the bike rights itself. Only works if the ice patch is small enough for you to pass over it freewheeling or you're going fast.

Ti29er
    Free Member

At present I'm riding a Husaberg FS 650e.
    Try a commute on that!
    I never had a single issue on the raod with the 748. Not uncomfortable, that's a myth. The 900SS before it put more weight on your wrists than the 748 is supposed to have done.

However, I see that we have turned a tide and we're now discussing what bike to buy that will also be decent on a daily ride into work.

Marge
    Free Member

How the hell do you use a motor bike in Winter ice/snowy roads? Isn't it slippery or do get winter tyres etc?

Carefully….
    I miss 2 or maybe 3 days per year due to road conditions.
    I live in the countryside & the conditions on my street don't necessarily match those on the more used roads. (read gritted :))
    This means it's a bit of a guesstimation how things will be once I've covered the 5km towards civilisation. I've misjudged it a couple of times & it's been damn scary I don't mind admitting. Not sure if my BMW tank is good or bad in such circumstances but don't fancy trying to pick it back up!

Earlier in the thread I didn't mention that I commuted on a ZX9R (& CBR600 / ZX7R / DR650) before the Beemer. The ZX9R is also very good but no heated grips / ABS. Also the seating position is less upright / high (= less good in heavy traffic). For the 2nd hand price of a low mileage ZX9R you could do a lot worse. (edit – it also does warp speed pretty damn well 😉 )

I know everyone jumped on the back of the guy who mentioned the 748 for commuting but there is an element of sense in his hopefully slightly tongue in cheek advice. Don't overlook the personal desirability of your choice. I could never bring myself to care about a Deauville or a ER500….. (sorry to those who do)

Full marks to commuting on a Husaberg. I tried it a few times on my old Husky 610SM including the lovely left hand side kick start. Stupid & impractical but amusing.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I could never bring myself to care about a Deauville or a ER500….. (sorry to those who do)

No, neither could I. But that's missing the point. If you're gonna commute all year, 120 miles round trip, you need a bike that you DON'T care about to do it on. Something practical, comfy and hopefully cheap to run. And 150bhp is no use at all in traffic. I'd murder you on a 125cc scooter. 🙂 You need something smooth and punchy, that will pull from nothing instantly ) and thrap along at 80mph sipping petrol. If you spend a lot of time in traffic, an upright riding position and slim dimensions are required. Lots of motorway/A-road time? You'll be needing a fairing.

All this talk of sportsbikes is crazy. It's just throwing money down the drain….. 😐

Hairychested
    Free Member

120 miles? Get an original VFR or an old K1000. I would.

hopefiendboy

how about a fazer 600? Get about 65mpg on the long runs, pulls OK and use ACF50 to keep it OK over winter. Cheap too.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What Motorbike to Commute on?’ is closed to new replies.