Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • What Motorbike to Commute on?
  • richcc
    Free Member

I borrowed a Yamaha TDM (Tedium). Very capable commuter and pretty dull. What we'd all be riding if we bought bikes with our heads not with our hearts.

Definitely worth a look as a commuter

Ti29er
    Free Member

Ladies & Gents.
    Please move right along.
    Nothing to see here.

Steve, as I promised, tomorrow we can visit the zoo. 😉

What you ride speaks volumes about who you are and the choices you make in life. We covered this in the post op meetings. This is why you sold the Dzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Remember?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've decided to retaliate by posting a picture of my beloved Deauville on it's final spin before being traded in on the CBF1000GT.

Bought 2nd hand for £4500, ran it year round for nearly 10 years and still got £1500 when I parted with it…

Ti29er
    Free Member

I bet those flower boxes will look a treat come the summer and that roof line looks like it'll need some attention before the winter.

anagallis_arvensis

my commuter, cost 900 quid ( Thread hijack my newly re made lap top is giving my # not a pound sign, what can do)

Wouldnt do all year round 60mile motorway commute on it though, would cost a fortune in getting my fillings replaced

Northwind

It's already been said, the correct answer is a Deuville. As reliable and economic as it is dull and ugly, perfect. I don't think there's any better bike for simple transportation.

That said, for a 120 mile round trip I wouldn't use a bike at all, I'd have a comfy car with a heater, a roof, and a good stereo.

"If you want cheap, reliable and decent enough for a 120 mile round trip you need a minimum 600cc Jap 4, and TBH I'd suggest bigger."

This is such a daft comment it makes me wonder if it's actually a joke that nobody's getting? Particularily when the next paragraph was complaining about how expensive it is to run a big IL4 as a commuter…

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, I know nothing about motorbikes. So why would a bike weighing 1/6 what a car does and with an engine half the size get only slightly better fuel economy?

solamanda
    Free Member

Obviously most people, including myself, will recommend what they use. I bought a new ER6-F for commuting 3 years ago. I bought it to commute in central London but I now use it for a 90+ mile a day return commute on the motorway. After 25k bar a couple minor issues dealt with under warranty, (exhaust manufacture fault) its been solid. It's still running on the original chain/sprockets with tons of life left, scottoiler = WIN. It goes from A- B fine, exciting enough for going the B road way home and manageable on crappy gripless winter roads. I keep a superbike for summer days.

It provides good protection from the weather, you NEED a full fairing for motorway commuting if you want to ride in the cold. Heated grips or gloves essential. It returns 55 mpg at worst and upto 70mpg, I average around 60mpg most days. For that high mileage it's really worth considering MPG as most bikes struggle to do more than 50mpg. That really costs alot over a year.

As a comparison I ran a ZX9r for nearly 50k, mainly commuting, and it worked out at 44ppm (including depreciation), a later Fazer 1000 came in at 45ppm. Both these would be higher now, as fuel then was sub-90ppl.

I manage to run my bike for alot less than half that including depreciation, running costs and allowance for stuff like clothing etc. How the hell did it cost you that much?! I do benefit from DIY servicing but still that's a big difference.

Northwind

"Right, I know nothing about motorbikes. So why would a bike weighing 1/6 what a car does and with an engine half the size get only slightly better fuel economy? "

Not all do… You can get a lot of mileage from the newer BMWs frinstance, and my old Virago could beat 100mpg. Mainly it's because most motorbikes are built for performance though, so it's not like comparing with a family car, more like a 15mph supercar.

It's also got a lot to do with usage, bike engines are often high revving and tend to get ridden relatively hard. It's easy to see how a 600cc engine can have poor economy when it's running at 15000rpm, especially if it's being thrashed on the road.

Most bikes are basically pretty inefficient fuel-wise though. Carbs have only recently died out and fuel injection is still pretty basic on most bikes.

Ti29er
    Free Member

If you are of the "Evo" bent, every ride should be an event, take the back roads on sunny days and enjoy the whole experience.
    If your commute to work is so dull you are thinking about a dull bike, then please, set your hair alight and opt for some excitement in your 60 mile trip.

Just a thought & hang the extra expense!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I doubt Ti29er has even ridden a motorbike. Possibly he's 12.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Thread hijack continued:

Thread hijack my newly re made lap top is giving my # not a pound sign, what can do

My laptop does the same, but that's cos it has an 'American' keyboard layout, I think, with no pound signs to be seen. If your '3' key actually has the £ symbol on it then you should be able to change your keyboard settings (Control Panel>Keyboard, or something like that…) to a UK keyboard layout. Otherwise, do what I have to do and type Alt+0163 each time. Ho hum, it was a cheap laptop.

Back on topic, I wish I had the guts to get a motorbike…

rickmeister

Had my ZZR 11 for almost 100k miles since 1993. Done most things on it from commuting through courier work to track days and multi week euro tours… and its still going strong.

You can commute on anything that has an engine pretty much, C50 to GTR1400,,, Get a bike you like, one that moves you in more ways than a to b, stuff a bit of extra expense and enjoy every ride. The bike will buy you independence and that precious commodity, time. Use it for commuting. And weekends. And holidays. And just for fun…. Just don't forget a reality/practicality check for those cold wet dark mornings.. the kit can make a great deal of difference too, get good stuff. And a fairing.

Not an actual recommendation, just get into it! If you want a durable low cost low maintenance bike, look what the couriers use and copy it. Nuff said really.

HTH

br
    Free Member

To answer Northwind and Solamanda

"If you want cheap, reliable and decent enough for a 120 mile round trip you need a minimum 600cc Jap 4, and TBH I'd suggest bigger."

This is such a daft comment it makes me wonder if it's actually a joke that nobody's getting? Particularily when the next paragraph was complaining about how expensive it is to run a big IL4 as a commuter…

I wasn't complaining about the cost, just pointing it out. Unlike the majority of people I know exactly how much vehicles cost me, because I keep a record. I buy m/c's new, dealer service during warrenty and then a combination of DIY/dealer. Service at 1/2 intervals, never have a problem selling them on.

To actual commute decent distances in all weathers, and then do a proper job at work requires that you arrive fresh and unstressed – therefore you cannot beat big-engined, reliable and comfy m/c's and good warm, safe and waterproof gear – so add Rukka, Daytona, BKS etc.

I'll leave the 500's and DullVilles to the paupers – you're a long time dead!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Epic.
    Don't be sore.
    You chose a Dzzzzzzzzzzzzzzville.
    I raced a 748.
    Life-choices, nothing more, nothing less.

This is what Rick & I are trying to illustrate, if you are a Dzzzzzzzzzville, then by all means, get a bike that suits your personallity.

Don't make the (hopeless IMHO) mistake of buying something because it has a greater range in the tank, or it's got 2/3rd rivets as opposed to 1/3rd, or it's comfortable on 1000 mile rides, or it's nimble in treacle.

Buy a bike that fires your imagination, that inspires you, that you want to sit in the garage and just look at, something you'll want to take care of, to have experiences with and which you'll ulitmately be one-with. A bike for B road blasts is what you require, not a commuter, but a bike you love, that sets your hair alight every single time you thumb the starter motor and a bike that just happen to take you to work you.

Invert this entire debate; choose a bike you want as a screen saver and go and try her out.

giantjason
    Free Member

crikey……didnt expect that many response. in fact i had to check to make sure i hadn't posted on MCN!

problem is that my previous bikes have been gsxr, R1 etc and am finding it difficult to now go and get something sensible to commute on and be reasonably cheap…….will probably end up boring to ride.

as suggested previously i could drive a car but then that would mean stuck in stationary/stop-start traffic for ages.

Northwind

"To actual commute decent distances in all weathers, and then do a proper job at work requires that you arrive fresh and unstressed – therefore you cannot beat big-engined, reliable and comfy m/c's "

You'll arrive fresh and unstressed on a Deuville or similiar. Nonsense to suggest otherwise. And they're a damn sight comfier than the bikes you mentioned, and have far better weather protection. It's just simply a better bike for this job. Terrible bike for weekend blasts and roundabout chasing but that's not what he wants.

"Buy a bike that fires your imagination, that inspires you,"

This is great advice for someone that just wants a bike. but for someone who wants a bike for a 60 mile commute it's not. This isn't a "life choice", it's a transport choice.

To put it into a biking context, this is a bit like someone coming on and saying "I want a cheap reliable road bike" and you turning around and recommending an Orange Five because it's better at flying down rocky trails in the alps. "Life's too short for boring bikes maaaaaaan".

I wouldn't personally get a deuville just now but if I had a 120 mile commute then every bike that I actually want would be the wrong tool for the job, and I'd get a Deuville. Then, I wouldn't buy a 748 either, don't like the weight and the relatively slow steering. Tried one, wasn't too impressed, threw the budget at dymags and a fork revalve for the SV's GSXR forks instead.

smudge
    Free Member

Ive got a CB500, cheap insurance, cheap to run 50+mpg and had *cough* 120 out of it. ultra reliable too. if youre doing alot of motorway mileage i'd suggest the S with the fairing.

rickmeister

Didnt know you had bike history with the Gixer R1.. so…

CBR 600.
    Fairing.Tick.
    Loads around. Tick
    Reliable. Tick
    Commute/Fun Tick
    Build Quality Tick.

At the end of the day I reckon you probably know what's what…

Let us know as this thread is a hardy perennial and we need info for next time !

JACKTHELAD
    Free Member

get the bmw f650gs you can add panniers,top box bigger screen,is a real joy to drive and also returns between 60-70 to the gallon.On top of this bmw do a lease scheme £500 down £70 a month for 3 years then you can hand it back and get another brand new one ,with the deposit coming from the equity left on the bike.Two years warranty with roadside assistance comes with the bike, and the insurance is a pittance.Along with cheap road tax

Cheap to service,has abs, asc and heated grips for the winter months

what else do you need for commuting

jackthelad

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've got a CBR600 (a fuel-injection one) and while it'd tick many of the boxes I've found it quite expensive to run as I only average around 35mpg on it.

I've also done a fair amount of mileage on a CB500S and it'd be a decent choice however the Deauville is faster, handles just as well, has a better fairing, is more comfortable and most importantly for the mileages concerned – has a shaft drive.

For 120 commuting miles a day a shaft-drive would be very close to the top of my list. A Scotoiler on a chain bike helps but it's no substitute.

I've ridden a Ducati 748 and anyone who suggests one for a 30,000 a year commute is an idiot. It'd bankrupt you as well as putting you off motorcycling all together. Lovely track bike or for sunny Sundays but uncomfortable overy any distance and in town and with terrible build quality and reliability. Commuting on one through the winter would be like burning a stack of tenners each day.

Also ridden an F650GS (including off-road) and that'd be a reasonable choice and very good at any town bits. Nowhere near as good as the Deauville for this sort of thing however. One of the BMW F800's would be a good choice – I considered one of them when replacing my Deauville but went with the CBF1000GT instead.

On the "buy a bike that fires your imagination, that inspires you" – I'd agree but suggest instear thatyou buy one of those for the weekend, not for the commute otherwise you'd hate it.

rickmeister

Good points being made here…

Back to the Beemer then…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Buy a bike that fires your imagination, that inspires you, that you want to sit in the garage and just look at, something you'll want to take care of, to have experiences with and which you'll ulitmately be one-with. A bike for B road blasts is what you require, not a commuter, but a bike you love, that sets your hair alight every single time you thumb the starter motor and a bike that just happen to take you to work you

I can't argue with that, well put. That's basically what I had with my Monster 696. I loved it, it was wonderful. But I couldn't have brought myself to do 120 miles a day on it…. It would have been fine most of the time, and pretty economical too, but it would have ruined it and I couldn't do that to a bike I loved so much. 🙂

bensales
    Free Member

My 2p worth…

Over the last 15 years, I've commuted on the following over the same sort of distance as the OP:

Yamaha FZR400RRSP
    Suzuki SV650S
    Suzuki GSX-R750W
    Suzuki GSX-R1000K1
    Suzuki GSX-R1000K8

The SV was the cheapest to run out of that lot. The GSXR750 the most expensive (mainly because I kept crashing it). The K8 is my current toy, so it gets used for a commute in the summer for fun, but never in the winter.

However, I bought a new Bandit 1250GT last September and have been using that since. Full Givi luggage (2x 35l panniers and 45l top box), hugger, taller screen, heated grips, handguards, touring Scotoiler, and lower fairings, £6700 on the road. Bargain.

Been tracking the running costs since new, and it's costing 16p per mile to run. That is petrol, tyres, and servicing, but not insurance as the company pays for that. Although, that's only 250 quid a year inc business use.

Using it for a weekly run up to York from Birmingham at the minute and can comfortably get a weeks gear and two laptops into the luggage. Excellent bike.

bensales
    Free Member

Just seen the OP's bike history.

In which case I'm going to change my recommendation to what I'm switching to next year…

A Hayabusa with a full set of Givi luggage and heated grips.

40+ mpg, all the performance you want, and comfy over distance. You can get a clean early-2000s one for 3k.

I'll be swapping both the Bandit and the GSXR for a new one next Spring to save on space. A-road antics, steady commuting, and continental touring in one bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hayabusa for commuting? 2000 mile tyre life? OK, explain that one! 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

OP – what bike for commuting?

Assorted STW – don't get a bike for commuting get an exciting bike…

why? its for commuting? weirdos. you may have ridden a 748 but have you commuted 120 miles a day on it? 5 days a week? no, thought not.

what would plod do? they spend a lot of arse on seat time…..

epicsteve
    Free Member

Plod buys Pan Europeans, BMW tourers and, on some forces, Deauvilles.

iDave
    Free Member

i'm really surprised plod aren't on 748s? everyone knows they're ace for the long haul 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

I commute on a KTM Duke 690 sometimes, but to be honest my car is probably cheaper to run, does better MPG's and is less likely to get me killed.
    The downside is all the pisstaking I have to put up with for driving a Smart Fortwo CDi 😳
    Edit: Just seen the comment above about tyre life, 2000 miles, I wish, I managed 1500 miles and much of that the bike was running in.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

for commuting i'd go with a Bandit 650

or a Honda CBF 600

anythig else is overkill for commuting – unless you're doing some proper rides on a weekend

bensales
    Free Member

PeterPoddy:

Hayabusa for commuting? 2000 mile tyre life? OK, explain that one!

Well, as with anything, it's down to how you ride it!

I reckon on motorways, if you're easy on the gas, and you don't put full-on sticky tyres on it, you'll get 4-5000 miles from a rear and 6-7 from a front. It's acceleration that eats rear tyres, not cruising in my experience.

Certainly, I get 4000 miles out of my GSX-R1000s rear and don't exactly hang around on that.

A 'Busa ain't a cheap commuter, but it is a perfectly valid long distance tourer. That's why Suzuki built it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I get about 3000 miles out of the rear tyre on the CBR600 and was getting about 6000 out of a BT20 on the Deauville, although 10000 miles wasn't unknown on the (horrible) OE Macadams.

My Deauville will have been cheaper to run than most of the cars I've had (cheap insurance, low depreciation and decent fuel consumption) however my current Honda Jazz would probably give it a run on costs. The CBR600 I've found fairly expensive to run – partly because I don't do a lot of miles on it plus it'd depreciated more because, unlike many people, I still ride it in the wet and in winter. Too early to tell for sure on the CBF1000 but I'm expecting it to be more expensive per mile that the car.

My cheapest bike to run is my XBR500. Good on fuel, zero depreciation (it might even go up a little in value) and cheap tyres and servicing. Fine for a shorter commute but while it'd cope with 120 miles a day it wouldn't be my first choice.

An earlier poster mentioned the Bandit 1250GT – I considered one of those as an alternative to the CBF as it looks great value. I've tended to get on better with Honda's over the years though (although I think I've owned as many Suzuki's as Hondas) which tipped the balance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dibbs, you enjoying the smart? What's it like?

daveh
    Free Member

Second the Bandit 1250 recommendation.

freddyg
    Free Member

CBF1000 and Bandit1250 are both good shouts.

Having done my long commute in all weathers on small capacity bikes (600cc & 750cc) it is perfectly possible and they were perfectly capable.

BUT, they were both hard(er) work. I never arrived at work feeling refreshed and ready to go. With the Blackbird (an 1100cc mile muncher), it's a different matter entirely.

Geronimo
    Free Member

I saw one of those at Zurich airport parked up at the bike racks

epicyclo

So amalgamating all the above answers, and taking an average, removing any aberrant data, the answer is:

Fiat Panda.

More economical, no need for special clothes or luggage carriers.

Oh, and you may have to smoke something non mainstream to get the happy feeling that a large bike gives you.

neilforrow

br
    Free Member

on small capacity bikes (600cc & 750cc)i]

Like the 'small' bikes comment! 😀

Another advantage of high-revving 4 cylinders is that torque is quite high up the rev range. Consequently they are easier to ride in the wet (and on slippery roads), especially when short-shifting – except for exup equipped ones…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What Motorbike to Commute on?’ is closed to new replies.