Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • what modern vinyl player?
  • roady_tony
    Free Member

Reason for getting Vinyl.

…as i dont have any kind of sound system, whats my best course of action?

4ags4
    Free Member

whats the budget?

ourmaninthenorth

I have one of these:

(Well, this is STW….)

roady_tony
    Free Member

budget – not much… 300?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Why do you want a modern one? I’d buy a second hand Rega Planar II or III and a new stylus.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Your budget will get you a decent S/H Rega and a wall shelf. If you don’t have concrete floors I’d say a shelf is essential. Also remember that if your amplifier does not have a phono stage you will need to buy one.

trevron73
    Free Member

Technics 1210 are the Hardtail of the soundsystem world in 1 word-Bombproof

willard

1210-mkII. It’s hard to improve on a classic and that is very much the iconic wheel of steel.

I dreamed of owning another pair of 1210s last night, waking with a huge sense of regret that I’d had to sell mine when I bought my first house. I miss them terribly.

flyingmonkeycorps

Can’t read the link in the OP, but 1210s – whilst great for DJing – don’t actually sound that great compared to similarly priced hifi turntables. Rega as above is the standard suggestion at that price, or look at Pro-ject Debut as well. I have one of those and it’s lovely. They also do some with a built in pre-amp, which is great if you’re not fussed about buying a separate one (at a possible small loss of quality).

Hobster
    Free Member

Do you already have an amp or speakers?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Plenty SH stuff around, Rega is good, new cartridge, hot-rod with a PSU and decent support, re-wire the arm if you fancy too.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Assuming you’ll be using it at home (if you’re DJ’ing, then, as others have said, you can’t look past a Technics 1210), Project make some great lower end turntables. (I’ve got one and it’s great.)

How about a Debut III SE:

£249 from most online retailers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Technics 1210 are the Hardtail of the soundsystem world in 1 word-Bombproof

crap sound compared to hifi turntables.
    rega planar II or III or a project if you cant stretch that far.

the-muffin-man

budget – not much… 300?

…as i dont have any kind of sound system,

So you have no audio equipment at all? No Amp or Speakers? If thats the case second-hand of eBay is the way to go.

If you have an amp you will probably need a phono preamp to boost the signal as most modern amps don’t have phono inputs. I have one of these (which HiFi buffs will turn these nose up at, but it does a decent job )…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-PP400-Phono-Preamp-a-Vinyl-signal-booster-/330761686983?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item4d02eecfc7

flyingmonkeycorps

Ah you’re starting from scratch, I missed that bit. You can get some amazing bargain hi fi kit on eBay, but you REALLY need to know what you’re looking for – I seem to remember my old housemate picking up a vintage Trio amp which sounded amazing for about 30 quid or something.

(Trio became Kenwood, the amp’s 60sish)

footflaps

vintage Trio amp which sounded amazing

I’d be surprised if any of the capacitors in it still had any electrolyte in them, esp after 50 years!

flyingmonkeycorps

No idea! Sounded good though (compared to my cobbled together Audio Solutions amp / classic Mission speakers, but also to said housemate’s proper high end kit that I can’t remember what it was).

It might’ve been restored or summink, who knows!

footflaps

My Record player is about 25 years old now, not used it for years mind:

roady_tony
    Free Member

hmmm lots of interesting options.

all i have is a led TV 🙂
    no speakers, no amps …nothing.
    i know a little about speakers , frequency ranges etc, but is there something specific to think about if its only going to be hooked up to something that can take vinyl/ PHONO sound?
    and as kind people have stated above, i’d need to watch out AMP wise about if it itself can take vinyl input too

turbo1397
    Free Member

Depending on budget I go with some of the suggestions above and go for a rega ii or iii.

ski
    Free Member

Nad amp £25 ebay

Project Genie Mk3 Turntable & Ortofon OM 5E cartridge £150 shop closing down display model retails £250 I think, bought for the looks, I know its wrong, but it plays fine too

Monitor Audio BX2 speakers £150 ebay

Nexus 6i speaker stands car boot £10-steal!

Plus a box load of vinyl from boot sales, charity shops and friends, has made me a very happy Rolling Stones bunny 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

£300 for everything is tight if your wanting proper hi fi, I’d say get down to your local Richer sounds and ask for a system based on a Project Debut and try to squeeze them for a pair of Q acoustics speakers. Go mid week and try to get the manager, should be able to offer better deals. The Project and Q acoustics will sound and look great but may just stretch your budget (theres always a range of ex display in store too)

organic355
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wCGGWO3D5c&feature=player_embedded[/video]

http://www.iwantavolkswagenbus.com/blog/2008/07/soundwagon-cool-volkswagen-bus-record-player/

trevron73
    Free Member

Im running 1210’s with a set of Tapco monitors with zero colour,i run through a soundcraft desk with plug ins and compressors ,limiters and delays,also have 3 samplers to choose the route through and there aint no better sound to be heard-?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

70’s B&W, Mordaunt Short, Splendor, or Rogers are the future (or the past) Struggle to get the same sound out of a modern speaer for the money – plus they sound infinitely better with turntables as that is wahat the speakers were designed to reproduce. Ok they might be larger and some might say uglier but the sound from a big wooden box is excellent. Also usually cheap on t’bay.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Im running 1210’s with a set of Tapco monitors with zero colour,i run through a soundcraft desk with plug ins and compressors ,limiters and delays,also have 3 samplers to choose the route through and there aint no better sound to be heard-?

I take to opposite approach; an Arcam 10 amp with no filters, tone controls or other gubbins to get in the way.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I take to opposite approach; an Arcam 10 amp with no filters, tone controls or other gubbins to get in the way.

sumiko blue point special on a modded planar 3 through a recapped Naim 90/93 and either PMC tb2’s (for sale as they are too big for my room) or a pair of Leema acoustic zero’s.
    i’m not so naive to suggest “no better sound to be heard” but it’s not bad 🙂

roady_tony
    Free Member

appreciate all the input, will have a hunt around at the weekend and see whats what! 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

get down to your local Richer sounds

and prepare to be ripped off…

Just had my hair cut, and older guy comes into the shop and announces he has just bought a bluray player from Richer Sounds – said it needed a ‘special cable’ – they ripped him off with an HDMI cable for £84.

2nd hand Rega Planer 2 with RB250 would be a good bet, will hold its second hand value well.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Reason for getting Vinyl…

Yeah, but you don’t want to play it otherwise you’ll decrease its value… duh!

😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘what modern vinyl player?’ is closed to new replies.