Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • What modern toys/games/pastimes do you wish YOU had as a child?
  • Cougar

I had a terrific amount of LEGO.

My gran sold it all one day without telling me because I was “too old for it.” Must’ve been thousands of pounds’ worth, I think she let it all go for about 30 quid.

Twenty+ years on, I’m still cross about that.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

an old air raid shelter

Juast the one? where we lived you could travel from one street to the next across the top of air raid shelters in the backies. Such jackanaperie had it’s own language. You could go for a half spammie, where you would fall forward with your hands around face level hoping to bridge the gap to the next one (closing your eyes in fear could be a bit of a mistake), a phul spammie witht he hands stretched out and a jumpin spammie where you would jump as you fell to clear an extra foot or so.
    Ammulance – an exciting form of transport often encountered post spammyinn’
    Skelp – what you got from your mum when she found out why she had to come and get you from the hospital (again)

Anyway, kids today and video games, I can’t say I envy them. We had Johny 7 OMA

Johnny Astro

Never before seen on this planet – it was a fan and a balloon.

Raleigh Chopper – proper dangerous one with the ball catcher gear lever, lovingly customised with spokeys and streamers tied on to the handlebars (couldn’t find a pic of a fully pimped one)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

BTW – the 12 bullets from the Johnny 7 really hurt, judging by the noise my wee brother made when they hit him

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lego has gone all crappy with big pre-molded bits

Agreed – I was saying the same to my wife a couple of weeks ago in a toy shop. It almost seems kids have lost the ability to create things and need to be directed. Who needs a pre-moulded Lego starship when you can make a Lego starship from a load of ‘four-ers’ and two-ers’.
    Now…

Then…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My SS has spokeys!

If I had a £ for each person who heard me coming and proclaimd that I’d broken a spoke I’d be able to buy more spokeys!

GW
    Free Member

Late 80s would have been ST days.

Other than Cubase the ST was shite, the Amiga kicked it’s arse for games in both quality and quantity.

molgrips
    Free Member

ST was better for developing and working on.

Name a game that wasn’t released on the ST?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    ST was better for developing and working on.

Name a game that wasn’t released on the ST?

MOONSTONE 🙂

Plus all the Team 17 stuff I think?

There were loads actually. Not all of it top notch, admittedly.

bullheart
    Free Member

Hookers.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What, when you were 7, Bullheart? 😯

Think I might’ve had me first puff on a ciggie by that age. And bin quite sick. 😳

And then got skelped by me mum. 😥

Cougar

Other than Cubase the ST was shite, the Amiga kicked it’s arse for games in both quality and quantity.

Saying the ST was “shite” is a bit unfair given that there wasn’t a huge amount to tell them apart, and less so with the advent of the STe. It came out earlier than the Miggy; when I bought one, the Amiga hadn’t been released.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A Kettler go-kart, one like this

aracer
    Free Member

A microscooter and inline skates. Genuine advances in outdoor fun (we had video games when I was a kid, and I’m less than convinced that all the developments mean modern ones are actually more fun). Oh, and a trampoline. Does nobody on this thread have kids, as those are the things mine and the local kids play on which seem lots of fun and we never had?

I’d have also really loved to have the cheap rc helis and planes I now own – real boys toys.

spacemonkey

A black widow catapult

+1

We used to use dried chickpeas (probably about 10p/kilo back in the day) and kick up some carnage in the woods. Lost mine in a swampy river thing – was gutted 🙁

spacemonkey

I had a terrific amount of LEGO.

My gran sold it all one day without telling me because I was “too old for it.” Must’ve been thousands of pounds’ worth, I think she let it all go for about 30 quid.

Twenty+ years on, I’m still cross about that.

I’m with you on that one. I remember my mum advertising my collection in the local rag for £50 (after convincing me I’d outgrown it 😈 ). Sure enough it went that weekend. T’was a sad day.

Kevevs
    Free Member

can’t think of any toy that’d be better than lego or meccano. Apart from a huge piece of paper and some felt tips. I am with you all the way OP!Best thing about being a kid is all about freedom, imagination and creativity. No need for parameters or boundaries of a limiting toy. All that stuff you wished for, you could draw or build that, for yourself, and make your own world.

I have no kids 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Not interested in modern toys, just give me a hoop and a stick or an empty cardboard box or an orange any day. 😆

Kevevs
    Free Member

but you can turn a hoop a stick and a carboard box into an apollo moon lander. Guess I was just a bit of a mental kid 😀

on the other hand. Pump action supersoaker better than BB gun? figght!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What modern toys/games/pastimes do you wish YOU had as a child?’ is closed to new replies.