Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What modern toys/games/pastimes do you wish YOU had as a child?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just been at ‘softplay’ with my girls – ohh how I wish we had ball pools and stuff when I was a kid. I remember the first few appearing just as I got too old for them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wish I’d had Scalextric. Got it now, but it’s not the same. 🙁

racefaceec90

to have started to have learned the guitar from a young age (i’m 36 and crap after trying to play for last 6 years 🙁

binners

Mariocart on the Wii. I’m presently trying to make up for the time i didn’t play it as a child

philconsequence
    Free Member

Mariokart on the Wii +1

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any of the video games. Although, I’d have been a pasty little nerd what might have liked star wars…

To be fair…all of them.

And that’s probably what most generations would say. 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Internet pr0n

molgrips
    Free Member

PS3

binners

Internet pr0n

but what about Hedgerow Razzle? Surely more rewarding?

resisted
    Free Member

+1 For Scalextric. Asked for one every christmas, never got one, dad pulled a really old one out of the loft one year, transformer blew and nearly set fire to the house, think that put paid to that.

On the flip side, wish they would bring back Subbuteo, my mrs’ younger siblings don’t know what they’re missing!

ski
    Free Member

A black widow catapuilt

As a kid, my neighbour used to have one and he inflicted so much pain on me with one, I could never get anywhere near close enough to him with my home made catty, that is, until I bought a crossbow 😉

Garry_Lager

All those saying computer games – you do realise that the zx spectrum in the 80s was the pinnacle of the genre and it’s been downhill ever since? Half life 2 or whatever is like the Nickleback to Jet Set Willy’s Led Zepellin.

GW
    Free Member

Soft play? we had building sites and derelict buildings to play in/on/vandalise. infinitely more fun 😉

I wish we’d had a good concrete skate park and BMX track, still aren’t any in the county I grew up in

molgrips
    Free Member

you do realise that the zx spectrum in the 80s was the pinnacle of the genre and it’s been downhill ever since?

Disagree 🙂

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Happy slapping.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Underage drinking.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

N-Dubz.

Edukator
    Free Member

My MTB.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Soft play? we had building sites and derelict buildings to play in/on/vandalise. infinitely more fun

Agreed. From memory we had a derelict house complete with piano (where I learnt to play ‘batman’, an old air raid shelter and a whole ‘crag’ full of boy-made mud slides, caves (always with bonus Playboys hidden away somewhere) etc….

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The Internet?

Though on second thoughts:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrUhuLXkIM[/video]

Coyote
    Free Member

Nerf Guns.

ski
    Free Member

A black widow catapuilt

Thinking about it, I am 42 & still want one 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

Trail centres. Especially considering as I kid I lived just over the hill from Afan!

uwe-r
    Free Member

I remember when a mate’s big bro got an Atari. I thought that would be all you would need for a complete and meaningful life. This was late 80s(? when did they come out) I think I was about 8. Never got into them much though and lost touch circa sega mega drive being good.

+ 1 for Hedgerow razzale. You don’t get that any more. Who buys off the shelf p0rn any more?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Who buys off the shelf p0rn any more?

Wonkers from here
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/

Caher

Like others said: my MTB would have been good. But if i turned this around and asked what pastimes i’d like now, it would still be a football and my mates i kicked around with when i was a kid.

Cougar

Just been at ‘softplay’ with my girls

In a past life, I used to build those.

(Softplay units, not girls) (unfortunately)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Methamphetamine 🙁

Garry_Lager

You must have coined it Cougar- getting in early to the soft play game. They’re everywhere.

GW
    Free Member

I remember when a mate’s big bro got an Atari. I thought that would be all you would need for a complete and meaningful life. This was late 80s(? when did they come out)

if you mean the Atari 2600 with wood effect front around 1977/8

Cougar

You must have coined it Cougar- getting in early to the soft play game. They’re everywhere.

I’m sure someone somewhere coined it in but unfortunately it wasn’t me. Only time I ever made any money was when we were working away; the boss waned it done ASAP to reduce hotel bills, so we worked 12 hour shifts seven days a week till the job was finished. It was back-breaking, but almost worth it when your normal monthly wage briefly doubled. It’s a shame I was being paid in chocolate buttons cos, sadly, twice nowt’s nothing.

Cougar

if you mean the Atari 2600 with wood effect front around 1977/8

Late 80s would have been ST days.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Nothing. There are bits of my life that could be improved (I wish I took mountain biking more seriously in my twenties) but my childhood was not one of them. I didn’t have every toy I ever wanted, but I had more than I could play with. I was also lucky enough to live at White Hall Centre near Buxton so had acres of land to run around in, build dens, play on assault courses (pre health and safety), climb on the climbing wall, ride my bike, kick a football, play rounders, shoot hoops, crawl through tunnels…

…it brings a tear to my eye thinking back to how lucky I was 😀

arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

A Kona Stinky 2-4

Cougar

Ah, of course, bikes.

brakes
    Free Member

my little pony

mboy
    Free Member

As a kid I was into Lego, Radio Controlled Cars, Playing Sport and Riding bikes.

I don’t look back at all and think I wish I had anything else, I actually look at my life now and wish it was simpler!

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

A mountain bike, when I was too big for my BMX I was bought a 5 speed road bike. I wasn’t allowed to ride on the road on my own, so guess how much use the road bike got.

finbar
    Free Member

The best toys were, are, and always will be:

Cap guns. Proper metal ones. (i had a cowboy style one)
    Lego Technic

Lego has gone all crappy with big pre-molded bits, and i bet you can’t get metal cap guns anymore. So those of us that were kids in the 1980s had it way better than today.

mboy
    Free Member

Lego has gone all crappy with big pre-molded bits

Couldn’t agree more.

Technic Lego was very definitely the easiest way to keep me occupied as a child, which made it pretty easy for my parents come Christmas time as they didn’t really have to use their imagination much!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What modern toys/games/pastimes do you wish YOU had as a child?’ is closed to new replies.