Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • What mobile phone thats good at taking pictures as well?
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

It seems I might have to bite the bullet and buy a mobile phone, snu recommendations for one that can take a decent snapshot?

Jamie
    Free Member

Budget?

Otherwise this could get pointless quite quickly.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sony Experia Z. Missus has a Z1 Compact. Not cheap but take excellent pics.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

A mate has just got the samsung s5. The camera is amazing, but not exactly a budget option.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Budget is pretty flexible, I’m not really wanting to pay as much as an Iphone but if thats what it takes then I’ll fork out. I’ve had a few cheap PAYG phones in the past and they were so frustrating to use that I never bothered using them.

Philby

The camera on my HTC One Mini is pretty good – I got the phone free on a £25 a month contract from EE.

gonzy
    Free Member

I’m not really wanting to pay as much as an Iphone

if you want a decent camera then i’d avoid the iphone as the picture quality on them is absolutely shite.

from my experience Sony Xperia’s have really good cameras and so do Samsungs. both me and the wife have the S4 and the picture quality is superb!

Jamie
    Free Member

if you want a decent camera then i’d avoid the iphone as the picture quality on them is absolutely shite.

Err…

I am not a Apple fanboy, and it’s depressing to have add that caveat when talking about these things, but the iPhone 5/5S cameras are up there with the best of them. Fair enough, Android/Windows phones might allow for more adjustability, and the Lumia 1020 has got the best hardware, but to say the iPhone cameras are shit is perplexing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drivel.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Klaus, You can get decent deals now on Iphone 4S, camera is decent, wee Julie won a GoPro last week with a photo from hers!.

cbike
    Free Member

There are phones that are more camera than phone? Nokia something?

Bimbler
    Free Member

All high end phones have decent cameras, certainly worthy of snapshots. If you want the best camera on a phone then I think the Nokia 1020 “wins”. There’s also the Samsung S4 Zoom, which as the name suggest has a big old optical zoom.

Even the humble old Nexus 5 (which is what I’ve got) has got a decent camera now (thanks to software update) , tieing with the S5 on this test

Jamie
    Free Member

There are phones that are more camera than phone? Nokia something Lumia 1020?

gonzy
    Free Member

avoid the iphone as the picture quality on them is absolutely shite.

ok maybe over exaggerated that a bit but i still think the picture quality is poor compared to the competition..

a picture my niece took on her iphone5

a picture taken on my S4

Danny79
    Free Member

I’d go with a Nokia 1020 but I’m biased.

Pro review of some top of the line camera phones
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2013/nov/07/smartphone-cameras-reviewed-photography-video

brassneck

Lumia 1020 is amazeballs if you do value the camera high enough to have a Windows Phone 😉 – I had one on trial for our company, would have liked to keep it as a holiday/cycling phone.

*(Windows Phone 8 is actually pretty nice, but the app store can lag behind Apple/Play – I have a hand in publishing apps for my company, and NO ONE has asked me to publish for Windows, but most of the bigger players are covering it fine, I don’t think you’d find it wanting).

brassneck

a picture my niece took on her iphone5

Would be a better comparison if you took both photos?

Jamie
    Free Member

@Gonzy

Tooooooo many variables.

globalti
    Free Member

Samsung S4 is an incredibly good phone with an amazing camera. However phone cameras are really only good for taking snaps, which they do very well if you can hold them steady enough. If you want to zoom or do any manipulation you need a proper camera.

simon_g

Some good deals on the Galaxy S4 Zoom now if you want a “real” camera that also makes calls and does smartphone things.

M6TTF
    Free Member

here’s 2 completely different photos, taken by 2 different people of different subject matter, on different days.

perfect comparison.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The Iphone 5s camera is so so good, if you ask me. It also seems that lots of journalists and pro photographers think so too.

There are also loads of apps to help out with editing, taking long exposure shots and correcting any issues… and all that jazz.

Really really recommend it

gonzy
    Free Member

Tooooooo many variables.

you’re probably right there…but there are pictures we have both taken of the same subject(my daughter) at the same time and the picture quality of the S4 wins…

funkrodent

How much do you want to spend? I’ve got the Galaxy S3 which was pretty much state of the art 18 months ago. Excellent camera and excellent phone. Admittedly not as fast/feature rich as the S4 or even S5 but it’ll do everything you need it to and you can get them on well cheap contracts now. Unless you’re absolutely sold on web pages loading up 1 second faster, or just need to have the latest device (which given that you’re only now getting a phone, I’d suspect isn’t the case) then the Galaxy S3 will do everything you need it to, will cost a hell of a lot less and has an excellent camera

pictonroad

I think my iphone 5s takes excellent photos, also having a lot of fun with the slo mo video feature.

[HERESY]I don’t have an opinion on the Samsung as I haven’t owned one[/BURN HIM]

I know, not good form, one MUST have an opinion, I’ll have a word with myself.

I want one of these.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/06/06/olloclip-review-iphone-5-lens-quick-flip-case-are-awesome/

bigyinn
    Free Member

IIRC the iPhone5s and some of the Sony Z’s (1) share the same camera module.
    What you tend to find is its the post processing stuff makes or breaks the picture.

duntstick
    Free Member

My dearly beloved has shelled out for the Samsung Galaxy S5.

Makes my iphone 4S seem quite basic.

Not cheap, but justifies itself by being just as much a tablet as a phone with a great camera on it.

Water/dust resistant too. (Not actually dunked it though)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Nokia Lumia 1020 precisely for the camera which is generally accepted to be the best on any phone, get it through phones4u and you can claim the Nokia camera grip doohicky thing for nowt until June.

After having Android for years the Windows Phone seems much fresher, we’ve various iDevices in the house as well and the WP OS is much better imo.

Apps are lacking if you go by pure numbers and want to have the choice of several hundred for each thing but you’ll get practically anything you need.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘The best camera you have is the one you are carrying’

Some of my best pics have been from an iPhone 4, but wouldn’t print bigger than a postcard.

Many of the worst pics I’ve taken have been with the same phone, worse still were the ones taken before I realised that the little air-bubbled protective sticker was still on the rear lens.

slowoldman

brassneck – Member

Correct. I have a photographer friend who has taken some astonishing photos on a 4S. I can’t take good photos on an SLR.

gonzy
    Free Member

fair enough..i’ll do that tonight….if only to prove to myself that my utter dislike for Apple products is correct!! 😆

peachos
    Free Member

I’ve an Xperia Z and have always found the camera to be of decent enough quality. Smartphones are never going to compare well against a DSLR or a decent quality compact for that matter, but a lot of high end phones are very good and comparable in quality, but there will be differences just as there are in the proper camera world.

Here’s a shot from the Z.

Also, I picked up a Moto G as an interim phone whilst the Z is getting fixed (cracked the screen). What a phone. For £100 I just can’t fault it. Latest Android, minimal bloatware, super quick and the camera is alright too. I had an S3 Mini before this (its taking a while to fix the Sony) and simply the Moto G craps all over the Samsung!

Moto G pic:

Finally, if you are a bit more serious about getting high-end compact quality images, the Smart Lens might be worth considering. Nice concept and they’re easy to use (from limited use whilst hanging around an airport).

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/lens-style-camera

Drac

You can get a decent snap from most of the higher end smartphones if you get the focus and things right, just like a normal camera if you get the settings wrong it’ll look worse.

iPhone 5.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fwjGeQ]Family Hols 2013[/url] by -Drac-, on Flickr

1-shed
    Free Member

Another vote for the Nokia 1020. The camera is fantastic. Your monthly payment will be less than a iPhone too.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thanks for all the repies, lots to investigate and mull over. At the moment I have a DSLR and a nice compact, but for quite a while a lot of pictures have been taken with my Ipod touch. I need a phone and had been considering a tablet to help with some of the editing of pics as I’ve been using Instagram and lately VSCO cam on the touch. Lookign at some of the suggestions I’m particularly liking the Experia Z 1/2. Theres a fair deal on EE and topcashback has a generous offer too.

Drac

Another vote for the Nokia 1020. The camera is fantastic. Your monthly payment will be less than a iPhone too.

But sadly you’d own a windows phone.

Jamie
    Free Member

But sadly you’d own a windows phone.

What’s wrong with Windows phones?

1-shed
    Free Member

I’ve had android phones, wife has an iPhone and the 1020 is my 2nd Windows phone. I prefer the Windows phone.To the OP have a look at the 1020 if the camera is a deal breaker.

Drac

What’s wrong with Windows phones?

It’s the new Betamax.

1-shed
    Free Member

It’s the new Betamax
    But have you actually used it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What mobile phone thats good at taking pictures as well?’ is closed to new replies.