Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What mini tablet
  • wellhung
    Free Member

Any ideas on a sub £200 mini tablet, looking at a NOOK at the moment but any other suggestions for a Luddite. It’s for my 10 year old daughter.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One that doesn’t double post?

😉

colournoise

Nexus 7.

wellhung
    Free Member

Thankyou Flashfart 😉

Cougar

… to do what?

TooTall
    Free Member

Nexus 7 – Mrs TT is V pleased with it. Fast, easy to use, what else do you want?

Grimy
    Free Member

Another Nexus 7 vote. Think you knows the answer!

clubber
    Free Member

I’m about to get a nexus 7, following on from my recent thread.

LeeW

Which have given the Nexus 7 a best buy vote in this months mag. Same rating as the Samsung Galaxy tab2 but more ‘cons’ than the Tab. 😕

Listing them as:

No SD slot
    No flash support
    Poor sound
    Main screen only displays in portrait

The Tab 2 ‘cons’ are

Tinny sound and the screen not being as sharp as some rivals.

Mackem

The Nexus 7 supports flash and the display rotates. I have one, so I know this.

Russell96

Whilst I’m a very happy Nexus 7 owner, would one be appropriate for a 10 year old, would something like the Kindle Fire HD which has parental controls be a lot more appropriate?

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds like which tested an old version which did indeed have no auto-rotate.

LeeW

I guess so, It’s the latest magazine, it dropped through my letter box this morning.

They should stick to toasters and coffee machines.

geoffj

£70 extra an iPad mini

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Regarding Which,

No SD indeed but OTG cable support means you can connect a USB stick, card reader or even a mouse and keyboard with a £1 cable. (Read only, needs an app) 32gb version now available, probably since the review.

Flash can be installed with an apk off the net if you need it.

Speaker not great but cracking through headphones, I stream my Google music at work.

Recent update brings full screen rotation.

No cons left, I’d recommend a Nexus 7 🙂

real_ben10
    Free Member

Nexus 7 here too, it’s done everything asked of it so far!

davidjones15
    Free Member

£70 extra an iPad mini

That’s written in a way that suggests that simply being an iPad mini is enough to sell it.
    On my part I can’t decide between 7″, 8″ or 10″.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

My nexus 7 auto-rotates and compared to the Samsung the display more than makes up for the SD card. I tried the kindle HD and tbh the amazon environment seemed very hard sell.

I read a review of the nook earlier today and you can have multiple log-ins with different levels of parental control etc for the kids. It’s supposed to be a bit more robust than nexus/iPad/kindle etc and also has expandable storage as well as very high screen resolution.

(And having had an iPad 3 I wouldn’t want to go for a mini…)

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I’m eyeing up the Nexus 7 too, but Amazon have their Kindle Fire for £99 at the moment, which is a good saving and might be just as suitable for a 10 year old.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Gravity slave – with the latest android os update (4.2 which includes enhanced security, home screen rotate , user profiles etc) that app that allows u to read off an external flash drive no longer works and the dev has said he’s concentrating on his revenue generating apps before fixing the issue. So no external drive support at the mo. Very happy to be proven wrong …

Edit: some details including the comment from the stickmount dev
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=44bb193ba66a3dc304e07dd28ccfa3ed&t=1989303&page=4

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Running 4.2 here and just fired up Nexus Media Importer, works a treat still. Able to browse my stick and also stream GoPro movies off my card reader. The app has updated in the last couple of days…

imnotamused
    Free Member

Cool, let me try it, can’t find where I put my stick and cable tho…

imnotamused
    Free Member

Ahh you bobby dazzler it works! Nice one, thanks.

southbeds
    Free Member

is it worth paying the extra for the 32gb nexus7 seeing it as got cloud storage.the answer to this will make my mind up

zippykona

Can you do video calls on a nexus 7? In the papers they say £150 everywhere I look £200. Where’s the cheap ones?

imnotamused
    Free Member

Yes, with Skype or Google hangouts. I got mine for 200 2 months ago, 16gb, then I heard they dropped to 160 🙁

imnotamused
    Free Member

Should also mention that it fits in my back jeans pocket so no need to take a bag if I’m going out somewhere. Great in my current job hunting situation where I need a break from the house so I pop to the coffee shop and can still be productive using their WiFi

trail_rat
    Free Member

Kindle Fires got me impressed

Does need an update or too though its a little buggy

Not good enough to get me away from ipad though.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I’m in the same position atm but for my self. I have had consistently bad experiences with android on a number of devices and just have this feeling that the nexus 7 will only last a few months before becoming horribly slow, clunky and the UI will just annoy me constantly.

Anyone else had good experiences with the ipad mini? (sorry to somewhat hijack thread OP)

Alex

Just bought my wife a nexus 7 for her birthday. Light years ahead of my old Asus Transformer in terms of speed/smoothness/integrated UI. Early days but it looks a quality bit of kit. Screen is amazing. 32gb one here.

ivantate
    Free Member

Happy with my tab2 7in. Would definately consider a nexus but as I have limited internet access a cloud is onconvenient.

Not sure what the screen complaints are but the camera isnt great. Not too much of a problem for what I need though.

porlus
    Free Member

Going to get my lass the 16gb nexus 7 for Christmas. She isn’t big into downloads so should be ample size. Money saved means i can buy her something girly as well.

geoffj

That’s written in a way that suggests that simply being an iPad mini is enough to sell it.

Not intentional – just my take on it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What mini tablet’ is closed to new replies.