Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What metal for gas BBQ Heat plates?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

The heatplates ( the flame deflectors not a cooking surface) have corroded on my Ducane gas BBQ and I would Like some new ones. I work designing sheet metal so I can get some laser cut and folded for free.
    I can’t decide what material to use. I have access to mild steel, 304 and 316 stainless steel but can’t get a definitive answer if any are toxic when exposed to heat. Stainless would be my preferred choice for its corrosion resistance and know stainless is used a lot for cookware etc. but I’m finding conflicting information regarding it giving off toxins when exposed to heat. I don’t mind using mild steel and I’ll get a spare set done. The originals were ceramic coated, around 0.5mm thick and have lasted around 5 years so I don’t mind buying genuine if I have to but it just seems daft if I have the resources to make them.

I also have a Webber charcoal BBQ before the “get a proper proper BBQ” comments start flowing.

Thanks

Andy

theotherjonv

Stainless steels contain various other metals (chromium for example) which are toxic. But they don’t get released under normal conditions, although you can get then under intense heat when the metal will boil and release fumes in the form of metal vapour. But that’s intense, like foundry or welding temps, not cooking temps.

If your barbecue, or any part of it melts and boils in use – turn the gas down, your sausages will probably be done.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I wondered why my sausages tasted funny and the bbq was in a melted pile on the floor.
    Would 304 or 316 be best?

theotherjonv

Don’t know, apart from the attached article I found, which seems to suggest if your barbecue is frequently immersed in sea water or used onboard ship 316 might be preferable.

http://www.belkraft.com/304vs316.htm

andysredmini
    Free Member

Great thanks. I may as well use 316.

properbikeco
    Free Member

be careful about sacrificial corrosion if you do go stainless – it may make the rest of the bbq rust faster

best solution replace the lot with A4 stainless……. 🙂

dropoff

If you have a choice, always go with 316. What s/s are heat exchangers made from ?

scaredypants

magnesium is very light and folds easily

(I bet it’s a doddle for laser cutting too)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Burns well too.

scaredypants

😯 ??

maccruiskeen

Burns well too.

Its fine though – if it catches fire just throw some water over it 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What metal for gas BBQ Heat plates?’ is closed to new replies.