Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What Maxxis Front Tyre?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

do maxxis do anything out there that compares to the rubber queen/ hans dampf?

those minion ones look a bit toooooo beefy for me

ill be running a crossmark ust out back so want something grippy up front to accompany it?

are the maxxis high roller 2 any good?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Minion DHF is actually very good. Not too weighty in foldable 60a single ply guise. It’s quite fast rolling, and very confidence inspiring.

I wouldn’t dismiss it.

If you do, why not try an Advantage? They’re great too.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I run a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C/EXO up front with a Crossmark 2.25 UST all the time and it really is a great combo for pretty much anything.

For something faster, just run a 2.36 60A Minion DHF on the front instead.

The 2.4 HR2 is a brilliant tyre but slow rolling. I’ve also got one of the new 2.3 HR2s but it just doesn’t feel right for some reason. It can feel pretty sketchy at times even though on paper, it’s a perfect tyre. I’m not sure what’s going on with it. I might just need some more time on it.

scottfitz
    Free Member

An Advantage or HR 2 sound about right.

but my fav maxxis combo is 2.35 60A Minion DHF and 2.35 60A Larson TT

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

forgot to say , it really needs to be UST or at least minimum Tubeless Ready (ps what are the sidewalls like on the new TR versions????)

ill give the DHF a look then, they do a new DHF 2 dont they now too?

scottfitz
    Free Member

ill give the DHF a look then, they do a new DHF 2 dont they now too?

Only DHR i think.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The 2.5 Minion EXO goes up like it’s TR for me. Dead easy.

No, it’s a new DHR 2 but it still isn’t worth running. The DHF is where it’s at and it hasn’t been redone because it just works so well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh no just seen they dont do the 2.3 in ust / tr minion DHF, so im out on that front!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It still goes up dead easy, so what’s the problem? The wire bead and more reliable too.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

2.5 sounds mahoooosive though, how big is it really? comparable size to a HD?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

getonyourbike – Member
    It still goes up dead easy, so what’s the problem? The wire bead and more reliable too.

its the sidewalls bud, i like the extra protection on the sidewalls of ust on the maxxis tyres, they are pretty indestructible up t’peaks!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Same size as a 2.35 HD or ever so slightly wider than a 2.2 RQ.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is it for UST rims? The single ply Minion DHF went up fine on my Stans rims with a bit of jizz.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

HR2 here. Works well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah onto proper UST rims, which is also why i like maxxis UST tyres they literally will go up on a UST rim with a shitty little hand pump!

is a high roller 2 faster than a minion up front?

Northwind

There’s tons of rubber in your average Maxxis so they do tend to fit and seal up tubeless easily. Personalyl I’d be looking at supertacky Minion (if grip > speed) or otherwise an Ardent… Was never really convinced by the maxxpro minion on the front, great til it slides, grim when it does.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve tried the new HR2 3C 2.3 on the front and found that it is really sketchy, I put it down to the softer side knobs.

@getonyourbike
    did you use the standard 60a HR2?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

zelak999 – Member
    I’ve tried the new HR2 3C 2.3 on the front and found that it is really sketchy, I put it down to the softer side knobs.

@getonyourbike
    did you use the standard 60a HR2?

No, I’ve got the 3C version but my mate with the 60A version has found the same thing.

I don’t know what’s wrong with it because the 2.4 HR2 is the grippiest tyre I’ve ever ridden and I’m really confident in it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

What Maxxis Front Tyre?

If you want near infinite grip then it must have Minion DHF written on it.

If I wanted to see you crash as soon as the surface became mildly moist, then I would recommend you stick an ‘Ardent’ on the front of your bike.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’ve gone off Maxxis since starting to use hans dampf super gravities. They just do everything well. Come up big though if frame clearance is an issue.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why Maxxis only? If you want a tyre like a Hans Dampf then get a Hans Dampf!

zerocool

Minion DHF

nodrog2
    Free Member

If you are considering a Minion DHF then don’t rule out the Specialized Butcher Control. Very similar but slightly bigger and grippier(2.3 Butcher is more like the 2.5 Minion). Tubeless ready and well priced at £30.

jonnyrockymountain

2.4 mountain king black chilli protection???

mactheknife

Bloody hell OW, it took us all long enough to convince you that Hans Damph were the greatest tyre on gods earth. What happened??

mulv1976
    Free Member

2.5 UST high roller

Great all year round and has handled everything I’ve thrown at it. Taking it to the alps in a few weeks too

And 2.5 doesn’t seem much bigger than the 2.35 I had on before

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Mactheknife I’ve still got a hd up front just seeing if anything by maxxis compares as I’m a tyre fiend/ponce/whore and I can’t run two different branded tyres 😆

There I said it!

I’ve hopefully found a whole new set to try……… Fast rolling strong sidewalled rear tyre and a tyre that’s just as beefy / Similar tread to a HD upfront but all the same brand

Testing will commence soon !

philbert31
    Free Member

Not sure about all the love for HDs , they’re not bad but I wouldn’t say they’re anything extraordinary, and the fact that the knobs are breaking of left right and centre after 4 months is a bit rubbish too!

I’m gonna go for a DHF and HR2 on the back next time round.

Northwind

I call it “Rubber Queen Syndrome”. People are used to Schwalbes being kinda rubbish, so when good ones come along they get a bit overexcited.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Minion was my everything tyre, great and reliable, just checked one on for winter down here and it went up tubeless fine (wire with std casing)

If it’s dry and even in a chunk of wet weather the Ardent has stood up really well for me with EXO it has been tubeless on std rims for 6 months now with no real issues.

They will be back on in a month or so after it dries up a bit.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

philbert31 – Member
    Not sure about all the love for HDs , they’re not bad but I wouldn’t say they’re anything extraordinary, and the fact that the knobs are breaking of left right and centre after 4 months is a bit rubbish too!

Agreed! I was riding with a couple of guys in Les Arcs this year, who both had a Pace star coompound Supergravity HD run tubeless on the back. They both had a puncture in 3 days (one in the tread, one in the sidewall) and all the knobs were ripping off like anybody’s business. Whereas my 2.35 60A Dual Ply Minion DHF was absolutely fine.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well ive purchased a set of the new mavic enduro tyres system ust ones, to go on the crossmax’s i have!

look a really really good setup, fast rear tyre (x king sorta territory) and a grippy esque tread (ala butcher control etc) on the front, both UST, both have great sidewalls and they look pretty mint on a set of crossmax’s seen in the shop!

led to believe with them being designed around full on UST crossmax the tyres which are UST tubeless reardy go on the easiest the shop have ever done!

cant wait to try them!

not heard of many people riding these, but the shop have had a few people buy them, and one enduro type racer really wants to use them to race enduros on, but his sponsers wont allow him to use them

if they are good enough for jerome clementz then im sure they will be good enough for me!

it looks like finally someones designed a mega fast rolling rear tyre along with great sidewall protection and a burly’ish casing and grip! the side knobs in the flesh certainly are bigger than the ralphs/x king etc, and the tread up front looks similar to me to a butcher

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What Maxxis Front Tyre?’ is closed to new replies.