Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What mavic rim?
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Thinking of replacing my trusty XC717 on the rear with a new rim. Got cracks around the nipple eyelets and a few dings. Looking for something a little wider too.
    Was thinking of either the XM719 or the EN521.
    I weight 17stone and dont jump / freeride. Riding a FS with 5″ of travel (if thats relevant). Was leaning towards the EN521, but not heard much about it. Seem a little cheaper than the 719s too.
    Your thoughts please?

theflatboy
    Free Member

bigyinn
    Free Member

And the reason why would be nice……

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s wider and stronger.

coatesy
    Free Member

It pretty much matches what you asked for? 521 is a fair bit heavier, stronger too but probably overkill for your riding description.

steve_b77
    Free Member

How about a 321, pretty cheap and will certainly take 17st + bike

chopperT
    Free Member

Well, after having a similar 717 failure to yours, I specced a 719. Same failure occurred , after around 1000km. I’m a similar weight, and riding style sounds the same, although I used this wheel on a HT.
    Spoke tensions and build were spot on BTW.
    The local Mavic importer sold me a new rim at cost (great service as the rim was bought in the UK), but also suggested that I was at the top of the weight range for that rim and should consider something burlier.
    The 521 may be the choice?

alexonabike

I have some 719’s and think they are pretty good – maybe a bit narrow. I guess it depends on what tyres you are running, I find anything over 2.25″ a bit dodgy on the 719.

i have had 521’s in the past but find them very heavy (im a wee nipper at 10 stone) but they were bombproof – still going strong on a mates bike.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Weight (although important) is of secondary impostnace to strength / reliability. Plus i like to run 2.35″ tyres, so perhaps the EN521 would be better.

bigyinn
    Free Member

impostnace = importance!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What mavic rim?’ is closed to new replies.